What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stupid sniffle valve!!!

Cfrisella

Well Known Member
Don't know if others are having this problem, but I can't seem to keep my sniffle valve from clogging up every few flights. Maybe it's because I don't fly often enough and it just doesn't have enough fresh fuel to flush it out. It sticks full open and I can immediately tell on start up. My engine, an IO-360, kind of stumbles like they commonly do after hot start ups. Wondering if anyone has removed the sniffle valve and installed something else to let the fuel drain out. Maybe something manual?

I think you'll find plenty just remove it i.e. plug it.

Just don't then post queries about difficulty hot starting an IO Lycoming :eek:

I don't have a sniffle valve on my IO-360A1A. I have never had a problem with hot starts. I think the valve is like an appendix, you don't really need it.

Jerry Esquenazi
RV-8 N84JE

sump type and sniffle valve

My understanding is that a sniffle value is only useful on horizontal induction. A vertical sump will allow the fuel to drain out the intake. The fuel will remain "trapped" in the horizontal sump, particularly on taildraggers.

The sniffle valve simply opens when there is higher pressure on the inside of the sump than outside it. This is usually only the case if there is some buildup of fluid (normally fuel) inside the sump. When the engine is running the sniffle valve should close due to the lower pressure in the intake system.

If there is fuel trapped in the bottom of the intake, it can make starting harder as the engine is flooded. There have also been cases of the fuel igniting (backfire), and damaging the composite sumps that Superior used to sell - they called them "Ryton sumps".

If you are worried about flooding the engine or backfires, then you probably want to have a sniffle valve. I've got one, not flying yet, so can't really comment on if it is useful for my particular installation.

If your valve is sticking, probably worth it to take it off and have a look to clean and test it. I have not cut one open (yet) to see how they work (they are kind of expensive) but expect that they are quite simple.

I flew an IO-360 horizontal sump EZ for 700 hours without a sniffle valve and never had any issues.

Back