What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Review: Catto props

Greg Arehart

Well Known Member
I've recently had the opportunity to compare three different props on my RV-9: the standard 85-inch pitch aluminum Sensenich and two different Catto props, a two-blade 74-inch pitch and a three-blade 74-inch pitch. This is gonna sound like an advertisement, but I was very much impressed with the Catto 3-blade. Both Catto props were much smoother than the metal Sensenich. The three-blade was noticeably smoother and perhaps quieter (or at least a different sound) than the two-blade version.

Cruise performance was similar on all three props. I did not do a rigorous test, but I have seen about 200 mph TAS full-throttle at 8500 DA on the Sensenich, and 2750 rpm on my IO360. The two-blade Catto at the same DA indicated about 195-197 at just under 2700 rpm (note: this is without a spinner). The three-blade yielded about 191 mph at 2790 rpm (also no spinner). I should note that the three-blade was borrowed from a friend this morning and although is nominally 74-inch pitch, was modified by Craig to be a bit less than this (I don't know how much less).

Climb performance on the Catto two-blade felt about the same as the Sensenich (I did not do any specific tests). I got off the ground in about the same time/distance with both. The three-blade was noticeably quicker off the ground (perhaps because of the repitching that was done?) and I was seeing 1800-2000 fpm this morning climbing out of RTS (5000' elev) which is better than I ever saw out of the Sensenich (maybe 1500-1700 fpm).

Bottom line is that I'm sold on the three-blade Catto and will be ordering one soon. It is clearly significantly smoother and has similar performance to the Sensenich or two-blade Catto and should fit my mission profile. I'll probably talk to Craig and make sure it is pitched to optimize cruise a bit more than that one I tested.

Greg

Yep...201 TAS MPH with our three-blade Catto in our -6A, 180 HP turning near 2800 revs.

5 years and 500 hours later it was still fast and smooth.

Hard to beat,

Best,

I've heard a lot of folks complaining with the Catto props & composite props in general "cracking". I was looking at the aerocomposites 3 blade prop myself but I'm kind of concerned about a cracking issues. Can anyone confirm / deny. I'd hate to plunk down 10K & have issues that could have been avoided with just getting a generic metal BA Hartzel. I have a while but just trying to get some info here.

Did Catto props go up in price?? I only paid like 2500 bucks, give or take. No problems on mine BTW.:)

I just ordered my 3 blade last week. Craig is about to do a run of them so, it’s a great time to order. One warning.. he is BUSY!

Chris, what hasn’t gone up in price? I have been trying to get all my major purchases except for the panel out of the way because of price increases! My wife is going nuts because I’ve shelled out so much cash the last 2 months but, I got it done and I own it!!

Last edited:
Hi Piere,

I to have a RV 6 with an O-360-A1A with a fixed pitch Sensenich metal propeller, 72" dia x 83" pitch.

I was wondering if you have the Catto standard 74 inch pitch ?.

I will get a Catto 3 blade very shortly, just have to work with Craig and get the correct pitch for cruise .

Paul

I've heard a lot of folks complaining with the Catto props & composite props in general "cracking". I was looking at the aerocomposites 3 blade prop myself but I'm kind of concerned about a cracking issues. Can anyone confirm / deny. I'd hate to plunk down 10K & have issues that could have been avoided with just getting a generic metal BA Hartzel. I have a while but just trying to get some info here.

I deny. Also Catto prop isn't composite. Mine have been through some flying still going strong :)

Been running Catto 3-blade since 2003. Love them!

You can't always compare pitch between these props unless you know which design you have. As blade design changes, so do pitch numbers.
I'm awaiting his latest design, supposed to ship next week.

Yes, Catto props ARE composite.

Well...
It's a Wood prop!! NO! It's a Composite Prop!
Well it's got Fiberglass sheathing!
Well it's got a Nickel leading edge?
I have an old Ted Hendrickson "wood prop" with fiberglass sheathed tips and hard epoxy leading edges, so the concept is not new.
I'ts at least 28 years old. It works perfectly, tracks right, and looks good.
It's not as tough as the newer composite sheathed props, so I have to sand, varnish and ballance it periodically, but it will last nearly for ever if I do my part.
I have a 2 blade CATTO also, but that prop hasn't flown yet, only taxi tests, but it will soon!

I have had 3 Catto Props

Great props. I originally bought a two blade, and sold it when Craig shipped me a 3 blade. The three blade is a little slower, and has the advantage of lower tip speed in rain. The rain will chew up the paint, unless you get the new nickel leading edge (on both 2 and 3 blade.) Rain is an important consideration for me since I live in the northwest. I currently throttle back to about 2000 RPM unless racing when I fly through rain. When racing, I chew up the paint.

There is another consideration as well. Craig, for me at least, has nailed the pitch exactly each time. He knows how to design a prop for you, and your mission. I have heard that if there are problems, he will work with you to get them solved. He really knows what he is doing.

Anyway, then I started racing in the sport air racing league. Slower doesn't work for me anymore, so I got another two blade with the newer shape and airfoils. It is definitely faster, by maybe 5 mph or more, than the 3 blade, and is as fast as anything out there.

I think (not measured) you may get a little better acceleration from the 3 blade on takeoff and slightly better climb rate. You will get a lower cruise speed.

Rubber moulding for RV6 around slider windshield

Hi
I saw your address on the Vans site and thought I would try you to see if you or someone that you may know in the flying fraternity can tell me about a rubber moulding that is being used on the RV6 sliding canopy wher it mates with the winfshield. I had occasion to see this installation on an RV6 and talked to the guy at Sun &Fun about 2 years ago but failed to get the details from him. Apparently this moulding is sold by the J.C.Whitney co. in Chigago. I just finished my RV6 and its flying flawlessly. If I could somehow get the number of this moulding that Whitney sells I would be very pleassed.
I am a retired Tech councillor of our EAA chapter 65 in Hamilton Ontario Canada and as one to another, I would be pleased to hear from you
Jack Wiebe, My Email Address is ... [email protected]

I have a vintage 2005 3-blade prop, 76X66
Very happy with the performance & is maintenance free. I added prop-guard tape a few years to protect the leading edge. Mine was the pre-nickel version.

Back