What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin CAN bus shielding?

Jeff A

Well Known Member
I?m adding a G5 to an existing dual screen G3X Touch system and I didn?t plan the CAN bus for the late addition. I?m planning to add a 10-12? node from the G5 to the existing CAN bus. My question is...is it necessary to splice the shield of the G5 node? The installation manual isn?t clear on this. Can I simply splice in the HI and LO and be done without having to add three solder sleeves and also splicing the shield together? Hope that question makes sense.

To clarify....

Is it necessary to also splice the shield in this manner? Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Last edited:
I read the Garmin instructions as requiring a continuous shield from one end of the bus to the other.

shield

Is it necessary to also splice the shield in this manner? Thanks in advance for the assistance.

In this case, you might want to just put the two wires in the same LRU pin, tie the two shields together with a wire to the LRU chassis. There is no need to make a splice of the wires and shield in the middle of a harness, unless you don't have the bigger pins that will take two wires. JMHO

Back