What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Acrobatic training?

tomhanaway

Well Known Member
I've finished my 8a phase 1. I have approx 400 hours total flying time. 250 in rv's.

I'd like to learn some sport aerobatics. Read through Va's Aerobatic Epistle.
I've never been in a spin nor upside down.

I've also noticed comments that training in a decathlon or citabria doesn't necessarily translate because of the higher RV airspeeds. However, I have to believe that any training/experience is better than none.

Any suggestions for whom to contact (and where) to get some basic training BEFORE I attempt any of this in my 8a.

Thanks,
Tom H

I picked up a tail wheel endorsement ten years ago and then took an aerobatic course in a Decathlon. That was the first time I did spins after having my license for 28 years. It was valuable training.

Tom,

Congratulations completing your RV-8A and getting thru Phase 1.

It's great that you're looking for aerobatic instruction, you are about ready to have a LOT of fun while you learn what these airplanes can really do.

The IAC site is a great starting point and the skills you learn flying with an instructor in any aerobatic airplane will quickly transfer to the 8A. So don't let that stop you.

When I completed my -6 I was looking for the same thing since it had been 20+ years from the last time going upside down. I was lucky to find Wingover Aerobatics in Leesburg, FL. http://www.wingoveraerobatics.com A quick flight from my home airport. One flight with Steve Wolf and I was ready for more. As a bonus they use the side by side Zlin trainer making the transition back to a 6 just that much easier. Be careful flying in the Pitts with him, you will probably want a second airplane after that flight.

I highly recommend giving Steve or Kathy a call but if the distance from you doesn't work finding an aerobatic instructor close will be worth it.

In NC a guy you really should talk to is Ron Schreck. He is on here a lot and is a big advocate for RVs in the IAC and has been a very positive influence on several of us competing in IAC competitions.

Good luck, hope to see you at an IAC event in the near future.

Tom,

You won't find aerobatic school using RVs. The experimental category precludes using the aircraft to carry passengers for hire. Schools use certified aerobatic aircraft such as the Decathlon, Extra or Pitts. As previously noted the IAC has a very extensive list of schools. Once you learn the basics of upset recovery and some basic aerobatic maneuvers you will feel much more comfortable when you transition to your RV. Just be very careful to stay within the aerobatic weight and CG limits and practice at high altitude until you become very familiar with the RV flight envelope. Set a floor altitude of 5000 feet AGL or higher for starters. That will give you time for several attempts to regain control after a botched maneuver. If possible, having an experienced aerobatic pilot coach you with a radio from the ground is invaluable training.

Be safe and have fun!

Give Johnny White a call he will fix you up, he is just north of Bristol tn, great guy and even better instructor. His website is Aviators Unlimited

Check out Michael Mathews at Lake Norman Airpark in NC. He has RV time, and I am planning to do some work with him as well. He is well known in the area. Decathlon and Extra.

And don't forget (unless the oplim language has changed), the plane isn't legal for acro until you've demonstrated each desired maneuver (to yourself) during phase 1 & logged it.

And don't forget (unless the oplim language has changed), the plane isn't legal for acro until you've demonstrated each desired maneuver (to yourself) during phase 1 & logged it.

My op's limitations allowed me to do the acro testing at any time, even after Phase I. Just needed a log entry with the tested manuevers and speeds.

Larry

You may be misinterpreting your op lims.

My op's limitations allowed me to do the acro testing at any time, even after Phase I. Just needed a log entry with the tested manuevers and speeds.
Larry

Please re-read your op limits closely. If they actually say this, they were issued incorrectly. You may reenter phase I at a later time, but testing must be done during phase I.
FAA records show that your aircraft was certificated in August of last year so it should have the latest version of op limits. The phase I section should have the statement; "The owner may place the aircraft back into phase I for the purpose of adding additional aerobatic maneuvers to the aircraft authorized maneuvers."

Last edited:
Check out Michael Mathews at Lake Norman Airpark in NC. He has RV time, and I am planning to do some work with him as well. He is well known in the area. Decathlon and Extra.

Second for Mike Mathews. I took an upset training course with him a few years ago in his Decathlon. It was definitely worthwhile and he is a great instructor.

I took spin training from Will Allen "The Rock N Roll Airshow Guy" @ Rainier Flight Service in Renton WA. Training was in a Super Decathlon (not Will's Pitts S2b) What a hoot. Very serious and stays on topic. I was pretty uncomfortable after each of 3 lessons, but I made it thru the whole hour.
I then took what I learned over to my RV-8, I like it a lot more that a Decathlon.
Later, a couple of flights with my son in his S2b to get the basics of loops, Cubans and Slow Rolls.
This morning I flew the 2016 Primary sequence for the first time. The first time I have strung all the maneuvers together.
Rough? You Bet! But my wife was watching (we went to IAC Judging School and she passed the test & volunteers as an assistant judge)
Loop was Good, Cuban was too steep and off heading, forgot the first slow roll, 180* competition turn 'fair' 270* competition turn gained altitude varied bank angle, Slow roll sloppy and off heading.
Score: 0.0
I loved it :p

Last edited:
Back