What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aluminum composition question ASTM B 308?

eison

I have a local supplier that I can buy some angle stock from that is 6061 T6 the same size as what came with the kit to replace a small departure from plans that I made.

My only issue is that the new angle is ASTM is B308, but the angle that Van's shipped is B221.

Buying locally will save days and multiple shipping $$$$.

I have googled the ASTM's, but frankly I am striking out. The metal supplier says that he doesn't think there is a big difference, but.....

Does anyone out there have any knowledge to share?

Thanks

Eric Ison
RV 10 # 40764

If the alloy (6061) and temper (T6) are correct and the dimensions and fillet radius are correct, I can't see what difference the ASTM number makes.

Thanks, BOb K.

more specific?

It appears that the B221 specification covers a broad range of alloys and extrusion shapes and methods. It appears that the B308 specification is specific to 6061-T6 hot-extruded shapes.
So, it appears that you are OK.

I keep saying 'appears' because ASTM will only let me read the abstracts without subscribing (i.e. send money). But there seems to be enough information in the abstracts to infer what I said above.

Which Spec is used for aluminum angle QAA, ATSM, ???

Reviving an old thread. I’m the market for longerons.
I asked Van’s on the phone yesterday what spec the angle is and it could not be answered, other than “no sharp corners should have same profile and 6061-T6, Home Depot is not the right stuff”

Trying to be economical AND safe. I would prefer to procure locally due to shipping costs. I did a freight quote from Oregon to Virginia for 16’ box and got anywhere from $900 and up. I found a place an hour away that has material and will supply mill cert documents. Just need to make sure I’m buying the exact right stuff.

Whoever procures the angle at Van’s must have a spec. Not sure how to connect with that person.

Of interest I found this https://www.hydro.com/globalassets/...-interpretation-of-technical-specs-072020.pdf

Which says ATSM 308 is generally the same as ATSM 221 but requires hardness testing.

Can the mothership tell us which spec of aluminum angle they provide? Cue Greg Hughes?

Back