What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Duckworks leading edge cutout

I searched for info on what is surely a rookie question but didn?t find anything specific about it, so any advice is appreciated.
Duckworks landing light plans for my RV-4 include a template indicating a cutout in the wing leading edge that appears to open more on the underside of the wing and seems markedly asymmetric relative to the leading edge/ chord line. Is this simply because the -4 is a taildragger and the landing light needs downward aiming due to the angle of attack? Is it because a single PAR 36 LED light needs to serve for taxiing also? Thanks for any clarification.

The wing cutout is the same regardless of the landing gear type. Aiming the light is your discretion after assembly. Some folks put one in each wing, one for taxi, one for landing.

I searched for info on what is surely a rookie question but didn’t find anything specific about it, so any advice is appreciated.
Duckworks landing light plans for my RV-4 include a template indicating a cutout in the wing leading edge that appears to open more on the underside of the wing and seems markedly asymmetric relative to the leading edge/ chord line. Is this simply because the -4 is a taildragger and the landing light needs downward aiming due to the angle of attack? Is it because a single PAR 36 LED light needs to serve for taxiing also? Thanks for any clarification.
Yes, more cutout on bottom is necessary regardless of gear type. In flare some downward angle is needed. In addition, most taildraggers aim left light down more for taxi and aim right light up a bit higher for approach. Regardless, cutout per plans will serve your needs.

Back