What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Why did you pick your N Number ?

i like the john wayne movie where the indian goes around saying
"whiskey whiskey" so i think i will try something like that because they don't allow "beer beer" lol

Mine (In South Africa) is ZU-RVZ

The ZU and tail of the Z is very feint.

If you stand more that 20ft from the plane, all you see is RV7

After trying various combinations of my birthday (7-27) and my birth year (1958) along with my initials (RS) and not getting any good results, I stumbled on the number "N164ME" (One Six For Me) as being available. So, as of last week, I've got it reserved! I was a little surprised it hadn't already been taken......

As with others, the good (low) numbers are gone. N464CB - 464 Chemical Brigade - My former Army Reserve Unit and my initials.

377KG

N377KG

Similar to above.

AF Squadron I command and wifes initials, maybe this will encourage her to fly...fat chance

N numbers..

I have reserved 315AF....march 1st 05' Ava Fleehearty My daughters birthday. Harmon Rocket wings/tail in assembly process...

N Number Choice

N18XP... I chose this because it easily rolls off the tongue, resulting in fewer repeat requests from ATC. Former aircraft was 254HL and "hotel lima" ran the two L's together, like hotelima. Also, fewer syllables, and my engine is an XP with 180 HP... ATC usually comes back with "Exray Pop", hard to miss amongst other transmissions.

Jerry

"Spirit of 11 Sept's" tail #

My RV8's tail #, N626 JL, is actually pretty loaded up with a number of personal meanings. The "626" was the tail # of the last fighter/attack bird ( A10 WARTHOG) to have my name on it. Also, my b-day is June 2, 1946 ( 6-2-6 )AND LASTLY, I'm a "Gemini"( 6-the twin 2-6 ). I guess the "JL" is obvious-JIM LAWRENCE. There you have it!!

N62KM - RV8

62 is the year my wife was born (don't tell anyone) and KM are her initials

N62KM - I picked this before I started building, how could she say no to a plane named after her.

Steve

N7872

The 9A that I'll finish in about two months gets its number from our wedding anniversary date. I married a special woman who has encouraged me to build my dream plane.

N47ZM

My dad flew a P47 in Europe in the second world war. The serial number of his last plane was U9-Z, and I go by "Mike." N47ZM seems pretty easy to say, so I went with that.

Vanity N-numbers

I happened upon this discussion thread today. Nice work to all the posters for their creativity.

A few years ago, I began research into what aircraft owners want for a tail number and why certain tail numbers were chosen. After compiling the data, I came to the conclusion that I should take up reservation of certain valuable vanity n-numbers, including three elusive 1x1 N-numbers:

N2Q, N3U, N9U.

There are no plans in my future for the building of an aircraft, just that I try to pick the numbers that can be used for a specific make/model aircraft (like N55LJ for a Learjet 55) and try to get that N-number to the person who has the aircraft.

If I can help with your registration needs or if you are looking for that 'perfect number,' please look me up.

Thomas Mahoney Jr.
http://mahoney.aero

N247TD

Didn't pick it, but I love it. The builder had RV-8 plans number 80247. We call it "24/7" and TD and my son's initials. Also, it is easy to say and hear on the radio. "Tango Delta" is distinct and hard to confuse.

Sometimes I put so much thought and planning into something and never get it figured out. Sometimes I just fall into something good. 24/7 Tango Delta is one of the later.

Stewie?

What is it about that little sociopath that would make a couple of middle-aged engineers pick him for an avatar?

N124JG

My signature says it all. :)

Hope to finally write a check for the RV-12 at Sun 'n Fun on April 8, 2008 ... first day Van will offer the 12 for sale ... been a long wait. So far I've spent $10.00 to reserve N124JG and $15.00 for a VAF Data Plate. Lots more money to go ... what the heck, you only live once. :D

I was born on the 22 of July (7)...... Wanted it incorporate 7 as that is what I am building. The MB is my initials and my wifes.... Melissa Brown

I got lucky...

A while ago, when I decided that I was going to build a -12 when it became available, I researched N-Numbers and 12-(for)-AW (My initials) was attached to a B737 in America West's stable. No luck. :mad:

I had also been doing the back-and-forth between a 7 and a 9 for a couple of years while I got life a little more organized, since I think I will ultimately want a speedster/cross country machine. But, when it became clear that the likelihood of my wife flying with me was remote (she hates to fly, even the airlines), I decided that I'd pop for the plane I really want to graduate to, the -8. I made that decision a few weeks ago and did an N-Number search and :eek: they were BOTH available!

So, I now have reserved N84AW and N124AW (with a BIG thank you America West!).

My RV-8 preview plans are in UPS's hands, and I am waiting for the kits to be announced for the -12.

N31415

N for number
3 for RV3
1 for my first homebuilt
4 for the projected number of years it will take to build
1 for my first homebuilt...
5 for $50,000 projected price tag

actually I guess im just a nerd...get it?

I'm worse of a nerd (or should that be geek)

N347RH

N = first letter of my first name
3 = a backwards upper case E
4 = looks like an upper case A
7 = an upside down L (also since I'm building a -7)
R = my middle initial
H = my last initial

So... in 'leetspeak' it spells NEALRH.

"Seven Romeo Hotel" will sound pretty cool over the radio too, eh?

If I had it to do again, I would have picked all numbers and no letters. Numbers are so much easier to key in at the self-serve pump!

J Allen

Just reserved 710PX. 710 was my race number when doing the WERA and CCS circuit (raced superbikes and was a track-day instructor) and PX for my shop, Sniper Country PX, which sells Law Enforcement and Tactical supplies as well as long range gear. Papa Xray just sounded better than Sierra Charle.

Something about motorcycles, aircracft, and shooting, lol. Seems like every pilot I run into does two out of three.

Actually wanted something different but they were all taken. Would have been really neat to get a consecutive number. My Luscombe is 71172...but 71171 and 73 are still active.

My N Numbers

My first N number was 43AH. The 43 was my callsign in Vietnam, Lancer 43 (Huey Driver in I Corps). The AH was the name of my company in St. Thomas, Antilles Helicopters. The next N number was 42AH. Both of these N numbers were on Bell 206 B III's. When I bought my Europa I wanted to get 43AH but it wasn't available. But 42AH was available because the aircraft was exported to New Zealand (it's now ZK-HQT)so I got 42AH for the Europa. I sold the Europa and part of the deal was I got my old N number back. Well that hasn't happened....Yet. So the 9A I purchased in July has 188MP and will soon be 42AH. Bet your sorry you asked how I got mine aren't you...

621DS

6/21 is my birthday (not really, but thats a different story)

DS is my initials, and i like Delta Sierra. hope it doesn't mean something in armyspeak (like dumbstupid)

call sign

I picked 491CE because I live in Alaska and it is the 49th state and my last name is ice.

get it: 491CE

Mike Ice

Why did I pick my N Number?

N174PP

My son was two when I began this build and we called him "Papas" for a nickname. Mine of course is Papa. Roughly meaning fries or small fry in spanish. So according to me this plane is one (1) seven (7) for (4) Papa's Papa.

Last two letters also serve as initials for the planes name, Pretti Penni.

9.15.2009 Update
N537TC - 53 from the Wittman W8, N53CH, I helped dad built and the 7 because well it's a 7 and TC for Tango (tengo = "I have" in spanish) and Charlie = Carlos in spanish. So when I call out 7TC I'm thinking this "7 has Carlos"

Last edited:
Me Too

Mark,
I am right there with you! My wife is a really good sport about both our planes! It was her idea to go ahead and find an RV! Sooooo.....N506MM = 506 (Anniversary 5/06) M-Mark M-Melissa
In the eys of any judge here in CA she owns half the plane, so I intend to pile up the Brownie points whenever possible!
Our wedding date, month and year. 781
(You've gota do what you can to keep the wife interested)

C for Cindy, my wife.
M for me, Mark.

And I like the way "one charlie mike" sounds

7965A

79 = the year my wife and I both got our PPL (she before me, as I am constantly reminded!) and got married
65 = airport where we learned to fly (LXV: "we know density altitude")
A = for our surname, Arehart

cheers,
greg

Something in a ...7A?

I'm building a 7A, and I wanted an N number that said something like N...7A, but I wasn't excluding anything.

The FAA n-number selection website is pretty good, but I still needed to fiddle with it a lot to evaluate all the possibilities.

I think that someone mentioned on an earlier post to this legacy thread that we can check the NTSB website to see if an N number was previously assigned, and involved in any unfortunate issues. In fact, there was one other number I liked, and sure enough...four fatalities. (I'm not superstitious, but I let that one go.)

So, I narrowed it down to two numbers...N555AA and N7877A. I mostly like the latter, but I asked others which they preferred, and most agreed.

I even tried saying the two numbers several times, to see which was easier to say, and had the least chance of errors in reception of transmission. (If you try speaking these numbers, you'll see a big reason why N7877A is my choice between the two.)

All told, I'm pretty happy with N7877A. I even got some mailbox numbers from the hardware store and stuck N7877A on the HS. (Over the blue plastic film that we all seem to leave on.)

Double letters

I wanted double letters because I find it easier to pick up on ATC when you haven't been called in the last 15 minutes.

WW are my initials and I also wanted a low number since most the spam cans I rent have long numbers which get shortened anyway.

Hence.....N32WW

Now would that be 2 Double Whiskey or To Double Whiskey??

"N" number

352... is my birth month and year... CR is my first and last name initials

I sure thought these would be a noal idea, but I guess airplane builder thing alot alike!

Charlie Reeves, Tucson AZ
RV-7, TMX360, fixed pitch Cato

My buddy.....

N411BE

4/11 - Our Aniversary
BE - Brent and Erica

Plus I like the sound of Bravo Echo

.....Brian also has BE for Brian and Eilleen, his fiance. I asked him what would happen if the relationship soured. "NO problem, then it's Brian's Experimental":D

Regards,

727BM

RV-7..............7

Black Magic.............BM

Liked the way 727 rolled "offa da tongue" on initial ATC contact, shorted to 7 Bravo Mike after initial to 7 Black Magic......every once and a while:p

N33WE

Totally a graphics choice. The last four are all the same shape, just turned. My wife had the idea.

C A Mansfield
Bellevue, WA

RV-7..............7

Black Magic.............BM

Liked the way 727 rolled "offa da tongue" on initial ATC contact, shorted to 7 Bravo Mike after initial to 7 Black Magic......every once and a while:p

Dana - One of these days, the controller is gonna call Black Magic a "heavy" with 727 in your call sign. Report back when it happens!!!

Dana - One of these days, the controller is gonna call Black Magic a "heavy" with 727 in your call sign. Report back when it happens!!!

Reminds me of a guy with a Stearman who was a regular at local flyins.

This particular Stearman was a war era production from Boeing-------

His N number was----you guessed it, 707.

Said he had a lot of fun calling in to towers at small airports with "Boeing 707" inbound for landing:D

N4VY

N4VY

Booked from Japan via mail while on deployment. Then I lost it due to a computer glitch, then got somehow managed to get it back. (thanks Ed Perry)

Cool call sign to to go with my F6F Hellcat paint job.

N-number

Mine is N806DW

8 - for RV 8
06 - for the year I started building it
DW - my initials (David Watson)

What surprised me was the number of choices I had that had already been taken.

Tailwinds..........

n number

C-FAHQ

ummmm, to put it politely............FAH........... Q
It was begging to go on the side of my 7

Back