What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control stick range of motion

Freemasm

Well Known Member
Forgive me if this is listed anywhere in the miriad of drawings and docs. If it is, I haven't found it.

Anyone know the degrees of motion for the stick related to both axis?

I know "it depends" based upon how the builder configures the related CS stops, etc. I just need very close for now. Yes, I could back calc it from measuring deflections and related kinematics but really don't want to go there if I can help it. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Disclaimer: I'm in no way Rocket knowledgeable :eek:

What I know is that there are no stick range of motion published for RVs. One builds or assembles the aircraft, then measures, adjusts and marks the required published deflections, then install the stops. All of which will define the stick motion...

I guess someone having a Rocket with the correct surfaces deflections could help in measuring their stick motion in degrees?

DC Dan is correct. The stick travel range will depend on the control stops and the bellcrank mods, if any.

Aside from that, it's possible to make small adjustments by changing the various rod ends, and/or push rod lengths, in the system. I'm not recommending that though. Small changes to one part, change all the other parts.

Make sure that your front stick doesn't hit the panel and the rear stick doesn't hit the front seat back. You won't be able to do that until the seat and panel are in, all the control stops are in, the controls are all on, and so forth.

That's why the last 10% of construction takes 90% of the time. If you figure out a way to avoid that rule, beware... you're probably overlooking something!!

Last edited:
I have an article on my personal Rocket webpage that discusses this problem.

Scroll about 1/2 down until you find:
9-1-05: Jim Winings had a good idea on how to make the stick forces lighter by modifying the bellcrank at F408...

I’ll settle

How about just an approximate roll stick deflection? Would love to mount/configure the Garmin AP roll servo. The servo range of motion must exceed (just barely) that if the control column. If you have any thoughts, please pass along.

I will be at the hangar tomorrow morning and can measure the stick angles.. i will try to post them for my HR2.

Scott,

An HR2 will likely have a different center elevator bellcrank, and thus a different stick throw.

My original comments still apply. Sorry. Your best bet is to finalize the autopilot servos in AFTER the control surfaces are installed.

Back