What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine HP Upgrade

RV7A, Engine installed present,, is LYc 320, 160 HP, what are my challenges to remove and install 180-200 HP & CS prop??
do I need to start with new engine mount? & are there any cowling modes required.,
David

Id suggest starting with a call to Vans. If you need a new engine mount for IO-360, I have one (that has already been drilled to a firewall.....which could complicate things, idk). You can have it dirt cheap, but I'm not interested in going through all the work to ship. I bought the newer engine mount with elastomeric nose gear mount and no longer need the original mount.

Ellis
Fayetteville NC

Or...?

RV7A, Engine installed present,, is LYc 320, 160 HP, what are my challenges to remove and install 180-200 HP & CS prop??
do I need to start with new engine mount? & are there any cowling modes required.,
David

If that 160 is a hollow crank, able to be converted to CS prop... maybe check out what LyCon can do for you. I think they can develop 180 HP from an o-320 with just port & polish work. http://www.supercub.org/photopost/data/760/Porting_Air_Power_0409.pdf

If this is an option, it's certainly simpler than a complete o-320 to o-360 swap.

If you are going to the expense of swapping to a 180 + CS you might as well get the new mount/nose gear while you are doing all that work.

Just my $.02, but better design and would help the resale should you ever sell

Parts - that I know of - for o-360 swap

From what I know (which isn't comprehensive) - going from o-320 FP to o-360 CS
Engine mount should be unchanged, so long as both engines are Dynofocal mount
I'm assuming carb to carb. If going to/from FI that adds more stuff.

Baffling is different
Airbox is different
Spinner and backplate will need to be swapped (due to prop change)
prop bolts I think are larger diameter
Add your prop control vernier
Add MP gauge if you don't have one
Exhaust System? I see Vetterman sells different models for o-320 vs. o-360.
Cowl? I'm not sure about that. Vans would know.

I've read on this forum that the O-320 uses a longer engine mount for CG purposes due to the lighter engine.

DanH has a webinar here that talks about the impact of more HP:

https://eaa.org/Videos/Webinars#?playlistVideoId=6226975310001 (Seems that link takes you into the neighborhood, but not to the right house)

He explains that the additional excess HP is good for climb performance, and a tiny bit of top speed. So if your goal is better climb, more HP will be helpful. If it's anything else, it could be a lot of work and money for not much gain.

Last edited:
Back