What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS175 and the hold entry

ALagonia

Well Known Member
It seems that no matter how I approach the IAF the GPS175 will not prompt a tear drop entry to the hold.
Is this a matter of software programming?
I have sent emails to the Garmin experts and the answers I receive are totally non responsive to the question.

A lot of FMC’s/Navigators use entries that would not be used when hand flying. The only requirement is that it keeps the aircraft within the holding airspace.

I have practiced numerous holding patterns with my GNC355 (same navigator as 175) and it has always calculated the proper entry ( direct/paralell/ teardrop) that was required.

I have practiced numerous holding patterns with my GNC355 (same navigator as 175) and it has always calculated the proper entry ( direct/paralell/ teardrop) that was required.
All I ever get is direct or parallel. I have yet to get a tear drop entry even though a teardrop entry would be the most efficient and the entry I would use if hand flying. And I have tried approaching the IAF from different directions to see what the navigator will do.

Agree with others. My GNX 375 has never had a problem using a teardrop entry when needed.

344.png

476.png

That is certainly seems unusual. What version of software are you running?

It seems that no matter how I approach the IAF the GPS175 will not prompt a tear drop entry to the hold.
Is this a matter of software programming?
I have sent emails to the Garmin experts and the answers I receive are totally non responsive to the question.

I don’t want to hijack your thread but I also have trouble getting my Garmin (that’s my tie in) 430 when coupled to do a holding pattern entry. Once I’m on the first inbound holding leg it works fine.

To do either a parallel or tear drop entry I must first select Heading mode on the EFIS (A/P coupled) and then cross or parallel the holding point (holding side), then dial in my desired outbound heading. I stay in EFIS (A/P GPSS) Heading mode until the inbound turn. I then select ENAV mode on the EFIS (A/P headings commanded by the 430). It will track the holding course until I hit SUSP (430 enters SUSP after passing the holding point when holding confirmed on the Procedures page when selecting the approach). After hitting SUSP on the 430 it will quit holding and fly the RNAV approach.

Any time I’m approaching an IAF and plan to hold I always have to exit ENAV, and go to HDG on the EFIS, until established in holding.

Jim, not sure about WS, but Hx coupled to 430w will fly holding entries, including teardrop, but the efis must be in GNAV mode, because the database is in the 430, not the efis. I believe the entry will only be displayed on the 430, not the WS map. But mine definitely lets the autopilot fly them.
Edit. Newer software for 430W will know that this is a hold in lieu of a procedure turn, and will automatically unsuspend once inbound. If you want to hold for more turns, you need to manually re-suspend autosequencing, and then it will keep you in the hold until you manually unsuspend sequencing.
Edit again. If you have a switch which sends arinc and rs232 data directly from the 430 to the autopilot and you use it to by-pass the efis, then, again, the 430 should fly the holding entry. But I always use the Hx (easier) in GNAV mode.

Last edited:
Jim, not sure about WS, but Hx coupled to 430w will fly holding entries, including teardrop, but the efis must be in GNAV mode, because the database is in the 430, not the efis. I believe the entry will only be displayed on the 430, not the WS map. But mine definitely lets the autopilot fly them.
Edit. Newer software for 430W will know that this is a hold in lieu of a procedure turn, and will automatically unsuspend once inbound. If you want to hold for more turns, you need to manually re-suspend autosequencing, and then it will keep you in the hold until you manually unsuspend sequencing.
Edit again. If you have a switch which sends arinc and rs232 data directly from the 430 to the autopilot and you use it to by-pass the efis, then, again, the 430 should fly the holding entry. But I always use the Hx (easier) in GNAV mode.

My set up uses the ARINC 429 but staying in GNAV for entry will not complete a good holding entry. My panel does have an autopilot source switch labeled EFIS/FMS. I just assumed the FMS selection fed navigation information from the lower (second) 430. Both my 430s are non-WAAS. Next time I fly I’ll play with the EFIS/FMS switch in regards to holding entry.

I’ve owned this RV five years and I’m still trying to figure out it’s “buttonology” for instrument approaches. I’m thinking about upgrading my top WS to the EX.

Back