What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying to Chicago- need airport recommendation

cccjbr6

Well Known Member
I have a trip next week to Chicago for business and need recommendations for IFR airports friendly the GA and RVs that are not too far out from downtown (would like to take Uber/Lyft from the airport). Any ideas?

Wouldn't PWK Chicago Executive be closer to downtown for a business trip? Maybe $$$ though.

I have not been there but it was my alternate for Schaumburg when picking up my daughter who arrived at ORD.

Chicago Exec

Last year I was in to Chicago Exec.
If I recall it was $20 tie down fee for 2-3 days. (C-182)
Nice people and good service.

You didn't say where in Chicago you were headed. That makes a difference, especially if you plan on picking up a car.
Plan to the airport on the side you are visiting if able.
It takes a long time to get anywhere due to traffic. For cross town you should bring a lunch!

Last edited:
If you're headed downtown, PWK is probably your best option distance wise. Not sure about the fees there for something RV sized. I could tell you all day long how much they would charge if you were in a corporate jet but not sure about GA. I have seen plenty of single engine stuff there.

Don't overlook Gary, Indiana (GYY). Gary is also a great choice to get to downtown Chicago. If you're coming from the south or east, it's way easier IFR wise to get into and out of GYY than PWK. The Gary Jet Center is a brand new FBO.

If you're coming up from Alabama, you will get the tour of the far west side of the Chicago Class B as an IFR arrival into PWK. GYY is probably a direct to the airport arrival.

Last edited:
Midway is the closest to downtown, but the fees are pretty stiff. PWK is closer to downtown, or at least quicker, than DPA. I don't know if GYY is any closer, though it might be and also with easier expressway access.

PWK is pretty easy to work with. I did my instrument training out of there so they are very accomodating to GA. Not sure on the prices lately. Watch out for coyotes on the field! We hit one at night and made a mess out of a 172 (and the poor animal).

dupage in western suburb. i would think has excellent ground transportation .

No. Lots of miles to an expressway. DPA to downtown would be an unpleasant drive, especially in rush hour. PWK is much closer to an expressway.

Larry

Last edited:
dupage in western suburb. i would think has excellent ground transportation .
FWIW; I used DuPage last year on a trip from Florida and it was easy. I would use it again if/when I need to go back to Chicago.

44c4.jpg

:cool:

Chicago

Midway and Schaumburg(06C) both have train service to downtown. IIRC at 06C the train is across the street from the airport. Depending on where you are staying and where you are going a car can be a blessing or a curse.

Midway and Schaumburg(06C) both have train service to downtown. IIRC at 06C the train is across the street from the airport. Depending on where you are staying and where you are going a car can be a blessing or a curse.

I am based at 06C and the train is about a 1.5 mile walk. However, OP wanted IFR and Schaumburg has no IFR approaches.

Larry

You didn't say where in Chicago you were headed. That makes a difference, especially if you plan on picking up a car.
Plan to the airport on the side you are visiting if able.
It takes a long time to get anywhere due to traffic. For cross town you should bring a lunch![/QUOTE]

I will be near Lakeshore Park and the Drake Hotel.

Midway is closest

Midway is the closest to your final destination. I have never been in there.

Exec and Schaumburg look to be about the same distance (not sure about drive time in traffic). I have had good experiences at both although for me, coming from the east Schaumburg is a little difficult to get to on the west side of the O'Hare class B.
The fees at Exec for a C182 were not out of line. I did not buy fuel at exec as the price was pretty high. Schaumburg had self serv at a reasonable price if I remember correctly.

There is also a good restaurant at Schaumburg if food on arrival/departure is in order.

What about the Chicago Lansing Airport KIGQ? Does anyone have experience there?

I made several trips to Chicago over the last five years and used Lansing every time. Enterprise Rent-a-Car on the field. Easy drive into the city. Very accommodating.

Back