What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Advice needed: Chicago area GA airports

cccjbr6

Well Known Member
I have to interrupt my stay at Oshkosh with a day trip via the airlines to Miami on Wednesday the 27th. To make it in a day I have to fly out of O'Hare. Can anyone recommend a GA friendly airport that is relatively convenient to O'Hare?

I reside at 06C and it's all GA. Don't know the tie down fees, but doubt it is excessive; Fuel is reasonable. Outside of rush hour, it is only a 25 minutes drive to ORD. PWK is probably closer, but based upon fuel prices, I wouldn't call it GA friendly. I expect ramp fees are much higher. It is only 10-15 minutes closer to ORD. No car rental onsite at 06C, but there is an Enterprise only a mile or two away. A cab to ORD is about $35-40.

Larry

Last edited:
Airport

PWK is maybe a mile closer direct, maybe a bit further by road. Depending on the hour and whether the FBO is open you might want to arrange a cab before you leave Oshkosh. 06C is the best choice.

My office is 5 minutes from PWK and I've flown in only twice recently. Both Atlantic and Hawthorne have facility fees of around $40, but they waive them if you buy fuel. No idea about tie downs or hanger fees for overnight, but likely not cheap. Lots and lots of business jets in and out of here.

I may need to spend the night in Schaumberg Tuesday night and Wednesday night during Oshkosh. Can anyone familiar with 06C recommend a good hotel near 06C preferably with shuttle service to and from the airport?

Schaumburg

The people at Schaumburg are friendly and helpful, I've landed there 3-4 times.
Just give them a call they can most likely hook you up. Buy fuel to avoid one over night charge.
847 985 9778

I may need to spend the night in Schaumberg Tuesday night and Wednesday night during Oshkosh. Can anyone familiar with 06C recommend a good hotel near 06C preferably with shuttle service to and from the airport?

There are a couple of new and clean hotels 2-3 miles away (neither are full service hotels, but may pick you up-would be a cheap cab ride). Call me if the FBO doesn't help and I can get you the names. I'd offer to pick you up, but will be at OSH.

Larry
847-nine 51-4 two two 6

Back