What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flyboy Accessories Canopy Slide Extension

gmcjetpilot

Well Known Member
"Supertracks Canopy Track Extension" for over $300, to allow easier access to baggage compartment by alowing canopy to slide back futher.

Anyone have comments? Must have? Nice to Have?

Installation difficulty as a retrofit?

Better to install during initial construction?

supertracks

I installed after flying for several years. I do a lot of cross country and it makes loading and unloading much easier. For me its been worth every penny. Would have been a little easier to install during the build and you can use a one piece track. Wouldn't build another 7 without it. I also have the smoke oil tank behind the passenger seat and makes filling easier.

The best slider mod you can do. Just try to get a small suitcase in the back without it...must have in my opinion.

The Supertracks modification is extremely well engineered and high quality. It’s the most useful modification I made on my 7A build. The extra travel of the slider makes access into the baggage area very easy. And the track extensions become perfect handholds for getting up on and off of the wing. I’m very happy with the product.

This Weekend

I was planning on installing this mod on my 7A this weekend. The install video is available on the Flyboy's web site, it shows you what to expect.

They say 3/4 of a day and a helper to lift the canopy off/on. But you will be cutting, grinding, drilling, bending and sanding...everything an RV owner loves.

https://youtu.be/QsKQDLPfydQ

IMHO..."must have". I've never not had it, but it certainly seems that the lack of a canopy extension would severely limit access to the baggage compartment and make getting back there for condition inspection even more painful than it already is.

Attachments

• plane.jpg
    plane.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 234
Supertracks

I installed during the build so I may have had it a bit easier.
I bought materials for the canopy track and fabricated a longer one.
I fit everything first then had it all powder coated including the new canopy track.
Looks and performs very nice. Cant imagine getting into the baggage area without it.

They should be mandatory. By far my #1 mod on the aircraft. Shouldn’t be that hard to do as a retrofit.
Tom
RV-7

Must have

great addition! Makes baggage area access 1000% better. Even day to day operations - digging out chocks, sun covers and extra headsets, etc is so much easier.

Also makes for a nice handle for loading passengers.

Last edited:
I had to relocate an ELT antenna to fit the canopy track extension on the top/back of the fuselage, which added extra work, including new doubler for the the relocated antenna, and time laying on my back in the tail end of the plane.
Other than that, really like the Supertracks.

A must have for sure.
I bought a flying 9 and found it very difficult to load bags.
I am also a Pilots and Paws volunteer and getting animals in the baggage area without the Supertracks is a real pain for me and the animal.
It took me and a helper two half days to install but am very pleased with the final product. The aluminum extrusions also make it easier for my wife to get in and out.
Personally I think they should be included with the kit.

Just a contrarian

Don’t have it. Don’t want it. I like how the standard build limits baggage to a size that goes in & out easily. NO suitcases. Small duffel bags only. Keep it light.

Works perfect

Installed about 70 hours after getting into flight, so as a retrofit. Works amazing, specially with people with limited movements to get in and out of the airplane.
Some other folks already mentioned how easier becomes to load bags.
I would say install it. If you don't like, just don't open the canopy all the way. :cool:

Happiness

Fitted mine retrospectively in about 2 hours. I have Classic Aero Design
high back seats and slider canopy. The slide extension allows easy access to the baggage area and, as an added bonus, provides a solid grab handle for older persons (me!) getting in and out of the plane. Well designed product!

Installed mine during the build, definitely a must have for a slider. You can delete the slider track extension from the kit, and order a longer -8 track from Van's. You can also notch the turtleback skin for a little additional clearance. GREAT MOD!

Its the best 300 bucks you'll ever spend! Every time I open mine back to the old spot I think, "I cant imagine not being able to reach directly in and grab a tool or bag. Not to mention my now removable 3.5 gallon smoke tank!"

"Supertracks Canopy Track Extension" for over $300, to allow easier access to baggage compartment by alowing canopy to slide back futher.

Aside from marrying my wife, it was the best idea I've ever had. ;) It works GREAT!

(Of course, I'm a bit biased!)

I'm surprised that no one mentioned that having the canopy all the way open also helps keep clumsy passenger butts off of your canopy frame.

Installed during build, but as others have said I can't imagine not having it.

Great for access, but I think it makes ingress/egress easier too.

Must have

I bought a -9A and flew it for a few years before installing the supertracks. Should have done it sooner. It makes a huge (HUGE) difference in the ease of loading and unloading the baggage area. And as someone else has pointed out, passengers no longer try to sit on the canopy edge. :)

It looked like a bit of a pain to install as a retrofit, and I'm a klutz, so I had my A&P do it during my condition inspection. He said it wasn't THAT bad, although he did have to call out his extra-small helper to get into the rear fuselage.

Cost/benefit wise, it's easily the best thing I've added to my -9A.

Back