What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Band saws

nohoflyer

Well Known Member
Patron
I’ve been putting off buying one to my own detriment. Cutting the aluminum stock with a cutoff tool just isn’t great.

I’ve seen the bandsaws that say they cut aluminum and many are shown at a weird angle to the table. My thoughts is that one that is vertical would be best. Does anyone have any recommendations? I’m trying to stay under 300.00.

Thx.

Teeth per inch and speed are the main determining factors if a band saw will cut alum.

I use a Harbor Fright unit that works just fine.

I got this from Harbor Freight onsale for <$100.
https://www.harborfreight.com/10-amp-deep-cut-variable-speed-band-saw-64194.html
I cut metal pieces besides aircraft building... having it hand-held is a big plus, allowing me to bring the saw to large, heavy, unwieldy material.
To use it as a normal bench-top saw you'd need to build a frame for it.
You can find many examples of this on youtube.
You can even build it to optionally pivot from the back so this can work also as a chop saw.
That's my plan, anyway.

The downside (compared to 10" bench-top saws or 14" saws) is the limited throat and depth of cut. But for building an RV I doubt this will be a factor.

Don't be afraid to go used

Just about any bandsaw made for wood will work fine when coupled with the right blade. Just for reference, I use an older version of the bigger Harbor Freight model and it cuts through aluminum with zero effort:

https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-4-speed-woodworking-band-saw-60564.html

It's overkill for sure (but I bought it for $20 on Craigslist, so no brainer). Many people have proven that a small, benchtop saw is more than adequate for an RV build.

bandsaw

I also used the HF 14" bandsaw, however, I modified it to reduce the blade speed and make it into a "metal" cutting saw...works great.

That said, I think THE most important part of a successful bandsaw is the blade. Get rid of the stock blade and get a quality one...I have had good luck with Lenox blades...

A jigsaw with the right blade is fine for the small number of cuts needed in our kits. Bandsaws are nice, but a pack of jigsaw blades is a lot cheaper and takes up less space if you already have a jigsaw.

+1

A jigsaw with the right blade is fine for the small number of cuts needed in our kits. Bandsaws are nice, but a pack of jigsaw blades is a lot cheaper and takes up less space if you already have a jigsaw.

I agree, and I've started doing most cuts with a jigsaw with a small fine-toothed blade.

I used a Shopsmith band saw with a 10 TPI 1/4” non Ferris metal blade. It has auto tracking with tension and blade guides are easily maintained.

But the biggest one you can afford. I have a 21" Inca I got for $200.00 off Craigslist. The guy had no clue as to what he had. It came with the building he bought. They sell for about $3200.00 new if you can find one.
Oh, ya they will all cut aluminum. The blade is changeable.
Art

HF

Teeth per inch and speed are the main determining factors if a band saw will cut alum.

I use a Harbor Fright unit that works just fine.

Same here. Works just fine. Im sure some will scream OMG but fewer teeth cut like a hot knife through butter. Less heat buildup. Yes, cut outside the line and dress the cut.
Thinner than .040" 14TPI
.040" and thicker 14TPI
Deeper than the saw will allow gets cut with other tools.

Last edited:
I have an old Craftsman that I rebuilt. I installed a blade with 24 teeth per inch, and ordered a new pulley that reduced the RPM to about 6-700 I think. It cuts through thick aluminum like butter. It’s a little crude, but the best tool I’ve ever had for cutting aluminum and other stuff.

Rikon 10-305 and a Powertech 24tpi blade. Very happy with it, though being my first and only bandsaw I have nothing to compare it to. Unfortunately it's gone up to $400 now, but maybe a used one out there?

I do wish I had bought a bandsaw sooner!

I got a Harbor Freight portable band saw, then the portable band saw table from SWAG Off Road to convert it to a table set up, the HF saw has variable speed, which is nice for steel. Like others said, you really can use a regular wood one with a fine bimetal blade on aluminum.

Like others said, you really can use a regular wood one with a fine bimetal blade on aluminum.

Yes, but not if you also work wood.
The blades changes can be annoying but are the least of my worries. Metal shavings can get embedded in the rubber or urethane tires and cause trouble.

Yes, but not if you also work wood.
The blades changes can be annoying but are the least of my worries. Metal shavings can get embedded in the rubber or urethane tires and cause trouble.

Yeah but a cheap $90 9inch plastic frame thing from one of the big box stores is basically a throw away…I dedicate it just for thin aluminum, then use my SWAG Off-road setup for steels

What are you cutting? I made a vertical mount for a port-a-band.

Something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdz-YZBFpTk

Then I got a foot switch from amazon that just goes inbetween the saw and wall outlet.

Works amazing. I use it more than I use my actual 3" Jet bandsaw.

If you are cutting aluminum sheet, nothing beats a stomp shear, but if you cant' swing one of those an open throat sheer works great too.

I got this from Harbor Freight onsale for <$100.
https://www.harborfreight.com/10-amp-deep-cut-variable-speed-band-saw-64194.html
I cut metal pieces besides aircraft building... having it hand-held is a big plus, allowing me to bring the saw to large, heavy, unwieldy material.
To use it as a normal bench-top saw you'd need to build a frame for it.
You can find many examples of this on youtube.
You can even build it to optionally pivot from the back so this can work also as a chop saw.
That's my plan, anyway.

The downside (compared to 10" bench-top saws or 14" saws) is the limited throat and depth of cut. But for building an RV I doubt this will be a factor.
I used that saw to cut all the steel for my hangar doors. Excellent tool! That's easily the best value tool HF sells currently. Amazing for $99 (on sale). And you can buy aftermarket stands and use them like an upright band saw. See previous post above^^^.

Last edited:
Just about any bandsaw made for wood will work fine when coupled with the right blade.

I completely agree, but want to add one caveat: before buying any bandsaw for your RV project, take a minute to check how easy it will be to get a blade for it. In my case I got a killer deal on a JET brand 10" woodworking bandsaw, and although it is a great unit it happens to use a blade size (67 1/2") that's hard to find with the right TPI for cutting aluminum. I can buy 6 TPI blades for it all day at the local woodworking stores, but for 18 TPI blades I have to order from obscure online outlets. Just something to be aware of.

Harbor freight band saw all day for what we do. Cheap, easy and the blades can be bought on Amazon. Easy peezy.

Back