What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G load data info?

TXFlyGuy

Well Known Member
Is there a way to determine G loads from VS, or IAS?
Such as in a landing, how would you figure the G load at touchdown?
Extrapolating the data downloaded from the G3X?

Last edited:
Is there a way to determine G loads from VS, or IAS?
Such as in a landing, how would you figure the G load at touchdown?
Extrapolating the data downloaded from the G3X?

In theory, yes. For landing you would record and plot VS as a function of time. The slope (the 'steepness' of the curve) would give you the acceleration, or 'g load'. Unfortunately, you will need something like 10 millisecond accuracy for the landing g loads. A standard VS gauge doesn't come anywhere near this fast of a response.

VSI has a 4 second lag. You won’t be able to calculate a momentary G load from that by differentiating it over time.
You can get the Vibration app on an iphone and it will log G loads on all 3 axes. It records at 50hz for up to 80 seconds at a time.
Or get a bluetooth IMU on Amazon and log it with your phone.

Last edited:
What?

The answer is that the landing G load will be zero because we all roll that baby on, smooth as a baby's behind, right?:rolleyes::D

G LOAD DATA INFO

''Absolutely! Every landing I made in the B-777 was always a "greaser"
------------------------

This is the norm in a B-777 ;);)

Surprised the G3X doesn’t log the G loads. The Dynon logs them by default. G sensors are dirt cheap…. .

Oliver

Surprised the G3X doesn’t log the G loads. The Dynon logs them by default. G sensors are dirt cheap…. .

Oliver

Agree. My G Meter is enabled on the G3X. It logs nearly every other bit of information from the flight. But zero G load data. None.

And it is archaic in it's speed with data logging at one second intervals. One second in the modern age of electronics is a lifetime. So slow that you can't get any real meaningful data regarding rate-of-change.

And yes, I called Garmin about this.

My G Meter is enabled on the G3X. It logs nearly every other bit of information from the flight. But zero G load data. None.

I'd take another look... my G3X Touch system records both normal acceleration and lateral acceleration.

And it is archaic in it's speed with data logging at one second intervals. One second in the modern age of electronics is a lifetime. So slow that you can't get any real meaningful data regarding rate-of-change.

Sounds you are looking for some kind of custom data acquisition system. This is experimental aviation, so you should be able to design your own quite easily. Good luck!

I'd take another look... my G3X Touch system records both normal acceleration and lateral acceleration.

Sounds you are looking for some kind of custom data acquisition system. This is experimental aviation, so you should be able to design your own quite easily. Good luck!

Yes, I have that recorded. What is "normal" acceleration? Is it a vertical G load, or a horizontal G load?

But the numerical readout is all in fractions, nearly impossible to interpret. And at 1 second intervals, probably of little help.

Any idea what these numbers tell us...for normal acceleration?

This is how they are presented in a column on the readout.

Back