What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose Wheel Fork Grease

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
Ok, perhaps I've missed it in the plans somewhere, but for the life of me I can't find any reference to greasing the nose fork. During the installation of the nose fork onto the gear leg, a zerk fitting was installed on the fork. But I don't recall ever seeing anything about how or to what specification the assembly should be greased via the zerk fitting.

Never ending Grease debate

I'm a fan of Mobil 28 for almost everything (except the prop).

Move the wheel back and forth while you're doing it, when it starts oozing out all over and makes a big mess that's enough :D

... just don't do that to the zerk fittings on the (Hartzell) prop hub. In that case you do need to reference the Hartzell manual for grease type and procedure.

Bill Watson

For wheel bearings and nose fork, I just go down to the auto parts store and use the same grease as for my cars, tractor and farm implements. For the prop I use what is called for by Hartzell.

For future reference of anyone finding this thread, reply I got from Vans:

In my own experience it is important to grease the perimeter of the outer dust seal of the bearing, grease the cone and bearing rollers, the large brass bushes of the nose gear pivot and to apply a small coating of grease to the Belleville Washers. Remember this unit is intended for being maintained every 100 hours/annually so over greasing will just get messy.

Set the 26lbs breakout with the installation as you would fly the aircraft ie. With lubrication in place.

Hmmm....I thought the Bellville washers were supposed to remain dry. Other wise it would effect/compromise the break out force setting.

doug
9A

Back