What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baggage door lock weatherproofing?

rdamazio

Well Known Member
I found in multiple threads that a lot of people have been using standard home-depot-type locks for the baggage door. This is fine, but I'm wondering - how do you keep it sealed so water doesn't get into your baggage compartment, for instance when it rains and your plane happens to be tied down somewhere?

I got a couple of these simple locks, and tested dripping a few drops of water into the cylinder from the key hole - sure enough, after a few seconds water was dripping out the bottom (which would be the inside of the door). I see there are some (few) weatherproof cam locks, but they seem pretty bulky.

("always keep it in a hangar" is not a good answer :) can't have a hangar everywhere you go)

Thanks in advance

My baggage door lock is one of those hardware store things; I?ve never noticed any water dripping thru after flying or parking in the rain. I do spray LPS in there from time to time. Maybe that helps repel water. Since the intrusion path is horizontal, I think it would take a pretty good wind to drive water thru. You could always put a strip of plastic tape over the lock, when parking.

My baggage door lock is one of those hardware store things; I?ve never noticed any water dripping thru after flying or parking in the rain. I do spray LPS in there from time to time. Maybe that helps repel water. Since the intrusion path is horizontal, I think it would take a pretty good wind to drive water thru. You could always put a strip of plastic tape over the lock, when parking.

Thanks, that makes sense.
Which LPS are you referring to (1/2/3)?

I never had water come through the lock and my plane has sat through some serious thunderstorms multiple times. IMO I suggest you focus on the baggage door seal because that?s where any leaks will develop.

Back