What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Parking Brake

asw20c

Well Known Member
I want to install a parking brake in my RV14A. I have one in my C180, and although I don't use it much, when I need it, I'm glad to have it. I'm probably only a few weeks away from starting the brake plumbing installation in my fuselage so I looked ahead in the plans and discovered that a parking brake is not included in the kit. I contacted Vans to ask about this and was told that parking brakes are not standard with the kits, but you could purchase two sub-kits; BRAKE PARKING INSTALL and BRAKE PARKING PV-2. I was told these are generic and that I might have to fabricate parts to install them. Has anyone here installed these kits? What modifications/parts fab were needed?
The last time I went off plans to install my heated pitot in the wing, it turned out to be a huge headache, was more difficult than I expected, and took a long time. I vowed not to go off plans again unless it was really important. Can anyone offer any feedback on their parking brake install? Level of difficulty?
Thanks,

I recently installed a parking brake in my RV7A. Its not a big deal but it does take a little figuring on how you are going to mount the parking brake valve to the firewall if that is where you decide to put it. Some folks just make a doubler and bolt through the firewall to secure the valve. I made bent up a little bracket so that I could mount the platenuts above the firewall surface and then riveted the bracket to the firewall. I like this approach but it takes a little more forethought.

I use my parking brake more often than I would have imagined. It is nice if it is cold outside and the engine needs time for the warmup. Also, if it is windy outside, the brake can be applied to keep the aircraft from moving around while loading. If you are still in the build, it is not that big of a deal. Check out my Kitlog pages for pictures and descriptions.

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=bonorden&project=2399&category=10615&log=237163&row=3

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=bonorden&project=2399&category=10057&log=241158&row=35

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=bonorden&project=2399&category=10057&log=243511&row=29

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=bonorden&project=2399&category=10057&log=238096&row=40

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=bonorden&project=2399&category=10057&log=238096&row=40

Here is a good place for the parking brake, an angle bracket (supplied by Beringer) fits perfectly on the left block F-1039A.

Attachments

• IMG_20190519_125054.jpg
    IMG_20190519_125054.jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 342
Here is a good place for the parking brake, an angle bracket (supplied by Beringer) fits perfectly on the left block F-1039A.

Ditto. I did the Beringer setup from Aircraft Specialty (TS Flightlines) and it worked great. Get their hoses, as well. All AN fittings in stainless braided Teflon. Very tasty and safe.

I use my parking brake more often than I would have imagined. It is nice if it is cold outside and the engine needs time for the warmup.

I cannot imagine a pilot leaving the cockpit with the engine running and only a parking brake preventing a disaster.

I cannot imagine a pilot leaving the cockpit with the engine running and only a parking brake preventing a disaster.

I agree. Watched a knucklehead tow banner pilot do this in a souped up Cessna at KVLL about 10 years ago. We were working in the hanger right across from him and watched it unfold start to finish. The plane made several circles before he managed to get to the plane and cut the engine. Thankfully he was not injured and the plane never hit anything.

Did he say he left the cockpit? I read that as not having to hold the brakes while the engine is warming up. I wouldn't leave it running either.

I did not say anything about getting out of the aircraft! The parking brake just keeps you from having to hold the brakes while the GPS gets programmed, ground contacted, etc. Jeeze!!

I like the parking brake on my 14A. It’s the beringer one and I made a custom mount for it on the center above the rudder pedal mount.

One thing I didn’t know up front is that it just locks in the pressure applied on the pedals. So to apply it one needs to be in the plane pressing down. It would be cool if the brake could be applied without getting in but I suppose nothing really works like that. I put the control where the pilot heater knob would normally go so I can release the brake from outside the plane. I use it every time I park outside for lunch or a gas stop or ????

Some places can be a little hilly it’s really good for that.

Back