- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:17 PM

Default And now they are one

Clecoed the tail and fuselage together today, good New Year's Eve present. Took pictures but have never mastered the picture posting thingy.
AirCam flying
Old 12-31-2014, 03:26 PM

Congratulations!!! That is awesome. I need to go out to the garage and get my horizontal stabilizer moving forward then. I've got lots of work to do to get to this point.

Figure out how to do the pics. Those are very motivational to those of us following you in this adventure.
Tail kit structurally complete
Wings in progress
N87TY on hold
EAA 724 and 74 Member
Old 12-31-2014, 05:06 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

http://www.vansairforce.net/articles...ums/images.htm

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 01-01-2015, 07:35 PM

Default Ron's pics

Here are Ron's pics. Beautiful workshop, very inspirational.

RV-14A
Status: Tail mostly complete, Wings complete(ish), Working on: Fuselage Kit, Finish kit on order (EXP119)
http://vans14a.blogspot.com/
Old 01-01-2015, 08:01 PM

Thanks once more.
AirCam flying
Old 01-02-2015, 08:13 AM

Default Never to be separated (hopefully)

New Year's Day, all of the riveting was done and now it's one and on to the fuel system. I am really jealous of all that space though.

Serial #140087, N214SW - Sold
Old 01-02-2015, 09:01 AM

Default Now they are one

Congrats guys. I am approaching the time when the plans call for putting the halves together and am considering delaying that step until later. I built a 12 and waited till the end to mate the halves.
Working on the fuel, brakes and rudder petal seems to be easier with the fuselage on its side. Also the plans call for riveting the last nine rivets on the bAgage ribs to the bottom skins after the parts are mated. This makes no since to me since only the last two roles are common. Riveting later will require some kind of setup like the pictures show. Also once mated, the shear size on this plan will make it hard to handle.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:53 PM

What a frustrating morning. Trying to rivet the baggage ribs to the aft bulkhead with 470AD4s and lots of smilies. Quit for lunch and returned with a plan.
Used the trusty overhead hoist and once again pointed the tail to the sky. Mounted wood blocks forward of the firewall and bolted them thru the engine mount holes. Set the fuselage on the floor and worked that way all afternoon and evening. Only one smilie to remove this time. All but two rivets driven , easy ones to do but requiring two people. I spotted a few more smilies that were formed a while back and with the fuselage laying in it's normal position, I felt I would only make things worse by drilling them out (they were not bad) but with the fuselage in this position , I know I can get them set properly now. Tomorrow's job, and then set the fuselage back on the ground properly.
AirCam flying
Old 01-05-2015, 07:55 AM

Looks good Ron B! I have question if you could answer. I am starting my fuselage kit and need to know the dimension from the very top of the firewall (angled piece) to the very bottom. I need to know this to ensure the assembly will fit coming out of my basement door. My door is 30" wide. I have the aft end finished and will join them in my garage.

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2015, 04:33 PM

I finished the tail cone today and clecoed it to the forward fuselage. So far I have been working seven weeks part time, and have built both the fuselage and tail cone in that time. I have done this working alone and so far have needed help for about an hour for some rivets on the fuse floor.
I will need some help with riveting the two halves together, time will tell how much help is needed.
I like to work alone and then there is only one person to blame for mistakes! Two people who know what they are doing could have done this much in less then half the time, this is some special kit!

2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com