Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2015, 03:10 PM

Default alternate assembly procedure for RV-14 tailcone

The plans for the RV14 tail cone suggest clecoing the bulkheads, skins and skin stiffeners, fitting the tail cone area, and then riveting the structure together. (this is a greatly simplified version of the order of events).
I looked over the plans and felt that there was no reason that the skin stiffeners could not be back riveted to their respective skins prior to assembly as they are not directly connected to any of the bulkheads.
In the picture below you can see the two side skin stiffeners riveted in place. NOTE the clecoes in the aft bottom portion of the skin. This area can not be done until the lower tail skin is put in place. Leave out three or four rivets forward of the #10 bulkhead. This will allow you to slide the aft lower skin into place later in the assembly.

The floor stiffeners can also be done this way. All the bulkheads went together easily and doing the stiffeners prior to assembly makes back riveting on the bench a thing of beauty. The bottom side skin stiffener is on the curved portion of the skin and it would have been a trick to have done it properly mounted on the final structure. The assembled panels look great.
NOTE that this procedure has not been approved by factory but it certainly worked well for me.

What a great kit.
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com

Last edited by Tom Martin : 01-18-2015 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:48 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

A number of 10 builders have done this also.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 01-18-2015, 07:28 AM

Default Great Scot!

I am right there fitting f1479 (cussing enabled) and was wondering how my bucker (wife) was going to hold up. This will dramatically reduce her effort in the cold garage and make her very happy.

Will attempt and report back if issues.

Thanks
Old 01-26-2015, 05:01 PM

Talking Back riveting stiffeners

I'm doing mine that way. Got the stiffeners back-riveted to the bottom skin and it looks fantastic. Plan to do the same thing with the sides. Great idea!
Old 01-28-2015, 04:25 PM

I have another alternate assembly idea for your consideration. Looking ahead in the manual one of the jobs to be done is to rivet the shoulder harness bracket to the top skin of the tail cone, one on each side. These are riveted on with #4 rivets to the .025 top skin. This is to be done after the tail cone has been fastened to the fuselage and the main baggage bulkheads are in place. To me this just looked like a potential problem and so I back riveted the bracket assemblies to the skin before assembly.
When you make the bracket assembly, two parts to each, keep in mind that there is a left and a right.

The following shows the brackets on the skins in the tail cone. I inverted the tail cone and back riveted the top skins together, thus the small brackets are on the top skin at the bottom of the picture. By rolling the fuselage around on the table (and supporting it in position) I was able to do the top skins by myself

I installed the baggage bulkheads today which could have been an issue with these brackets installed but things went together quite nicely. The plans should probably be changed to reflect this idea as it is really easy to back rivet them to the top skins and they look very nice installed with the forward fuselage and bulkheads in place.
2010 SARL Rocket 100 race, average speed of 238.6 knots/274.6mph
RV4, RV7, RV10, two HRIIs and five F1 Rockets
RV14 Tail dragger

Fairlea Field
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS
fairleafield@gmail.com

Last edited by Tom Martin : 01-28-2015 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:27 AM

You guys need to understand Tom is a master! Listen when he speaks. The rocket community benefitted greatly from his thoughts:-)

Tom why a 14?
Old 01-29-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrhodes2@comcast.net View Post
You guys need to understand Tom is a master! Listen when he speaks. The rocket community benefitted greatly from his thoughts:-)

Tom why a 14?
Please do not talk Tom out of the 14, I rely on his posts for invaluable wisdom

RV-14A
Status: Tail mostly complete, Wings complete(ish), Working on: Fuselage Kit, Finish kit on order (EXP119)
http://vans14a.blogspot.com/
Old 01-31-2015, 09:00 PM

Default Riveting fuselage skin stiffeners

Any reason this wouldn't work on the 9a also?i'm ready to start riveting my aft fuselage together and this would make the job much easier and neater
Old 02-02-2015, 11:35 AM

Default nut plates on 10-20 (he said 'nut plate..."

Hi,

I see that 10-20 shows specific locations for nut plates and that there are two locations on the longeron F-01418 forward of the indicated nut plate where we have prepped the longeron and related skins for a nut plate. It looks like these nut plates are used in the empennage fairing section 12-11 but they would be way easier to install at 10-20. Is there a reason to wait till the fairing section 12-11 to install these?

Thanks
Old 02-24-2015, 07:22 AM

Question Aft Fuse longerons

I have a question for Tom Martin.

Soon I will be riveting the aft fuse bottom skins. Can I rivet the aft fuse longerons to the skins prior to the assembly to the structure? Your post "Alternate assembly procedures for RV-14 tailcone" seems to suggest that that is possible, yet if I look at the picture that you posted, the side skins the F-01418B-L (R) longerons do not show.

Can I rivet them all and then assemble the side skins?

Your reply is veru much appreciated. Thank you much in advance!

Renzo/Italy