Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2015, 11:32 AM

Default Anchoring O2 in Front Baggage Compartment

Hi all,

Since I expect to do a fair amount of cross country here in the West where mountains are high, wanted to have a removeable O2 bottle mounted in the front luggage compartment. I bought a bottle from Mountain High, which came with a nice mounting kit.

I have been looking at the floor of the luggage compartment and scratching my head about the best way to mount the bottle. The floor is pretty thin aluminium and secured forward on a right angle that is riveted to the firewall. The rear side of the baggage floor is secured to the aft wall but doesn't have any other support.

My options would seem to be:
1. Some sort of reinforcement of the floor where the bottle mounts would be, like a backing plate.
2. A strap or bar with the mounting lugs fixed to it and screwed to the forward and aft mounting holes for the floor
3. Replace the floor with a heavier gauge aluminium build it specifically to mount the bottle.

I looked through the archives and couldn't find much about baggage tie downs in the front compartment or anything about how the O2 bottle was secured. I am sure I am not the first to do this. Anyone have any other ideas or experience?
Livermore, CA
2021 Dues Paid
Old 01-19-2015, 11:54 AM

I mounted mine in the rear baggage compartment and planned to turn on the pressure before flight. But I became uncomfortable with not being able to turn the O2 on and off. I still use the baggage compartment mounting for storing the bottle when not in use. But I now mount the bottle by the left footwell extending back to the passenger seat when I am using it. Obviously can't fly with a passenger when O2 is on the floor next to me. But I feel safer being able to turn it off. When you open the valve in the baggage compartment and run a tube to you, that tube will pressure up to the bottle pressure, 2000 plus PSI.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:34 PM

Craig Taylor has a neat install in the forward baggage of his 8 and did a detailed description with pictures. He has a shutoff for the bottle in the cockpit. Try the search function.
Fredericksburg, TX
Old 01-19-2015, 07:22 PM

Default Arm rest location.

As said before, having access to the bottle and valve is needed as I have found in my portable system.
My mounting solution has worked well, for me...no space lost and as handy as possible. I don't bother removing the cradle when I remove the bottle, then it holds POH or camera or...
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ad.php?t=99040

Last edited by BruceEicher : 01-19-2015 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:37 PM

I mounted mine in a similar location, but I made a holder out of fiberglass that mounts inside the top rail and has an angle that attaches to the lower rail.

I used sandpaper wrapped on the bottle to sand down a foam mold for the fiberglass. (Hint: Move the foam, not the bottle when sanding)

I'm a Dan Horton wannabe.

Don
"Pilots are alchemists... we turn gold into lead."
Old 01-19-2015, 08:01 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad walton View Post
When you open the valve in the baggage compartment and run a tube to you, that tube will pressure up to the bottle pressure, 2000 plus PSI.
That's only true if you have an unusual regulator setup. Most of the common portable GA oxygen systems have the regulator mounted to the bottle, and only very low pressure O2 is in those fish-tank tubes that go to the cannula or mask.

Military systems can be different, of course.

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 01-19-2015, 08:44 PM

I respectfully disagree Paul. My system is an Aerox system with a main twist valve and needle valve on the bottle for fine tuning flow. If mounted in the baggage compartment, you must open the main valve, select a flow rate via the needle valve, and have free flowing O2 in the cockpit. But you can'change your flow rate for changes in altitude. It is whatever flow rate you set it at in the baggage compartment before you took off. The alternative is to use the combined float ball flow rate indicator with a 3rd valve to control flow rate in the cockpit. The pressure between the bottle mounted needle valve and flow rate indicator vavle will reach bottle presure if the first two valves are open and the 3rd closed. There is no SCUBA type regulator to control pressure. The best solution for remote mounted bottle is a 90 degree turn primary valve the can be controlled with a push/ pull setup to open and close which Aerox also sells.

Last edited by brad walton : 01-19-2015 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:31 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Your Aerovox could be different Brad, but we have two of their systems - one with the little flow control valves on the bottle-mounted regulator, and one with flow control valves built in to the flow-meters near the cannulas. The regulators that mount on the bottles appear identical - the only difference is the location of the flow control valve - and when you turn the bottle on with the meter-mountd control valves, the intermediate line does nto pressurize to 2,000 - of that I am quite certain becaue there is no way those tubes coudl take that pressure.

You do, however, raise a very important point for anyone considering mounting the bottle in the forward baggage compartment - you need a way to control the flow back in the cockpit (like the meter-mounted valves). We bought that system for our -3 so that we could put the bottle in the baggage compartment and control the flow in the seat. I don't know how you'd really use the original system with bottle-mounted flow controls in a remote mounting configuration.
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 01-19-2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad walton View Post
I respectfully disagree Paul. My system is an Aerox system with a main twist valve and needle valve on the bottle for fine tuning flow. If mounted in the baggage compartment, you must open the main valve, select a flow rate via the needle valve, and have free flowing O2 in the cockpit. But you can'change your flow rate for changes in altitude. It is whatever flow rate you set it at in the baggage compartment before you took off. The alternative is to use the combined float ball flow rate indicator with a 3rd valve to control flow rate in the cockpit. The pressure between the bottle mounted needle valve and flow rate indicator vavle will reach bottle presure if the first two valves are open and the 3rd closed. There is no SCUBA type regulator to control pressure. The best solution for remote mounted bottle is a 90 degree turn primary valve the can be controlled with a push/ pull setup to open and close which Aerox also sells.
That sounds like a bad idea.... I would mount that bottle where i can see the gauges and reach the valve.
RV-9A #92103 - N803DK
G3X, Superior XO-320, Dual Pmags, Catto 3B
www.mykitlog.com/dbro172/

1974 Bellanca Super Viking - N16AW - Flying
RV-8 #83565 - N184DK - building
1968 Mooney M20C - N6801N - Sold
1956 C-182 - N744W - Sold
Old 01-19-2015, 11:43 PM

I have a mountain high bottle mounted in my front baggage. If I am going high I turn it on before I leave the ground. Works extremely well with O2D2 in the cockpit. 17500 tailwinds are a thing of beauty.

I can turn the tank off and weeks later when I remove the tank the lines are still pressurized. Impressively air tight.
SARL Race#95
SnF Homebuilt Judge

2015 Sun n Fun Kit Built Reserve Grand Champion
2015 Oshkosh Kit Built Champion
2015 Jeffco Kit Built Grand Champion
2014 Oshkosh Outstanding Workmanship Award

Broken Warrior of the Jarhead Clan

Last edited by ColoRv : 01-20-2015 at 05:40 AM.