Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > My RV Build Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2014, 09:46 AM

Is that one of the EAA 105 project hangars at Twin Oaks?

I was a member of 105 before moving to Spokane, and they were just in the planning stages of finishing and setting up those hangars. I'm glad they got them done! Looks like a great resource!
RV-7 Wings/Fuselage
Old 11-07-2014, 11:01 AM

Yes, that's the hangar. Both G-1 and G-3 are set up quite nicely. It'll make winter building work tolerable in the weather for sure.

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XP IO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Aurora, OR (EAA Chapter 105)

Old 01-14-2015, 10:29 PM

Default Update

Probably should update on the work that's been done the past couple months. Work and life have been especially busy and I had surgery at the end of the year, but I find time here and there. Thank goodness the hangar has heat, or I'd almost never be in there hah. So, a pretty big update this time around.

In the interest of full disclosure and exercise of healthy humility, this is what I did immediately after driving my first rivet in the left wing… Lots of good progress since then, though!

Justin and Aric got in on some left-wing rivet-driving action early on.

In the fuselage, elevator pushrods and bellcranks, rear battery tray, -A gear weldments, and some floor/wall work.

Last edited by greghughespdx : 01-14-2015 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:30 PM

Lots of work on fuel tanks, including sealing and setting up with a flop tube in the left tank, and all the associated stuff like the trap door to restrict flow out of the first cell, relocation of the fuel sender, etc.

I've really come to .... appreciate .... proseal.

Last edited by greghughespdx : 01-14-2015 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:32 PM

Flaps and ailerons and all the avoidance of perfection that comes along with doing that (I've been learning a lot the hard way).

Trailing edge alignment. Ugh. A local friend who knows better than pretty much anyone else guided me on this one: Keep calm and build on.

Last edited by greghughespdx : 11-02-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:34 PM

When you know you have a high likelihood of leaky tanks, its easier with people who are willing and able to provide moral support and friendly help:

Four sessions of seal/wait/test later, I finally found success today. Had to dig out some proseal a couple times and replace in rear baffle corners, and used 290 Loctite to seal one leading edge leaky rivet with great success per Vans instructions. But I didn't have to cut baffle holes. In the end, the only remaining leak was a very slow one, and was located in one of the balloons. I'm calling 'em done!

Old 01-14-2015, 10:45 PM

There are a few guys that I need to say thanks to already and want to recognize, even this early in the process. Young people in aviation is something I'm pretty passionate about, and all these guys are really motivated examples of the future of what we love to do.

Thank goodness for this kid: Justin?s a great help, a good guy, and has taught me a lot in the building process so far. I learned to fly first, he learned to build first. I took him with me on my trip to OSH in 2014, now we?re hammering on my RV together. He?s built a couple RV-12s already and he?s only just turned 18. He loves to build and fly and has even designed a plane or two of his own already. In the future I predict with confidence that his designs will grace the skies, just you watch. (No pressure, Justin. )

Aric's another truly good guy and works at Boeing. He brings a valuable point of view to almost everything in the shop - usually making an unnecessarily complex task or problem much simpler, hah.

Tyler?s new to building, but is a student pilot here in the Portland area, and has helped me drive and buck a whole ton of quality rivets.

And Davis is one of our TeenFlight kids, a member of the class that?s just now finishing an RV-12, N113TF. He also maintains the blog for the class at http://teenflight.blogspot.com/. Aric, Justin and I have all been working as mentors with that group for the past year as they have learned to build the -12. Davis has come over and helped out a few times on the -8A, nicest kid you?ll ever meet and a good hand with a natural ability. He also likes to do fiberglass work. As in, truly likes it. Yep, you understand where I?m coming from on that one, hah.

Thanks to all you guys for making the project so much more fun and for keeping my motivation up!

Old 01-15-2015, 12:45 AM

Looking great Greg. Sharing the experience with the guys has to be fantastic!
Hope to see it soon!
Old 01-29-2015, 09:48 PM

Learning what it means to do-over quite a bit. Good lessons for me, hah.

Made the shirt to remind me it should all work out in the end:

Old 11-01-2015, 10:56 PM

Haven't posted any updates for about 9 months. Oops! Well, here are a few highlights covering a lot of progress. I'll be leaving a lot out, just because there's no way to cover everything of course, but pictures can help tell parts of the story.

Most recently - just this week in fact - I started early work on the new panel. Working with Rob and family/team at Advanced Flight Systems, with one of their Quick Panel designs. It's extra nice to be a stone's throw away from them and to see them on a regular basis, but really the modularity and clean designs are a blessing to anyone who takes advantage of their stuff. Everyone will have their own ideas and opinions, but Advanced has put together a great system. My blank kit panel was already assembled, so when Rob told me he'd had a panel cut for my 8A project, I headed over and picked it up, and drilled all the rivets out of the old panel flange, and got to work on assembling my new Quick Panel structure.

The Advanced panel is laser cut, and exactly matched hole-for-hole the circa-2004 panel parts from Vans. The "side section" portion of the outer frame is smaller than the stock Vans design, in order to accommodate more electronics in the panel center section. Precision stuff, and great quality. A couple quick hours of drilling, countersinking , deburring and riveting later, and it was ready to test fit and send out soon for powdercoat!

Old vs. New:

Of course, a whole lot more has happened since January. Here are just a few highlights, starting in February and working forward until the most recent stuff:

Video - click to see timelapse - riveting wing skins

Installed some new and different rudder pedals, an alternative to pedal extensions. They have an indent to keep your toes off the brakes while working the rudder. Got them from Paul at http://controlapproach.com/ (who also flies a RV-12 located one hangar door down from me). He makes RV-10 pedal setups and a couple of us have installed these new pedals in 8's.

Plenty of interior type work, prime, and then some bronze paint, etc...

Avionics bay access:

Last edited by greghughespdx : 11-02-2015 at 09:02 PM.