camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:46 AM

I love the updates with the kiddos!
Old 01-28-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipete View Post
Good progress.

I'd suggest some after market fairings instead of vans if you don't like Fiberglass work. Vans still require a lot of work. Either fairingsetc or rvbits.

Just looking at the safety wire the top bolt is quite secure and could come slightly loose. Better to go around to the other hole.

Cheers

Peter
Thanks for the suggestion about avoiding the factory fairings, Pete. I did look at the Fairings-etc ones initially, but figured I'd try to save on postage as I need to order a couple of things from Vans as well, but it might be worth paying that bit extra to avoid the aggro of ill-fitting fairings.

I re-did that safety wire today, and it does look much better. Safetied the other side and made sure it was done the same, alas no photos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabandy
I love the updates with the kiddos!
It provides a bit of perspective I reckon, they've been a big part of the build - and an equally big part of why things haven't progressed as fast as I'd have liked too.

My Flickr gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35521362@N06/

RV-9A - Finished on 10th February 2016 after 4 years, 9 months and 19 days! The 1020th RV-9 flying.

First flight 26th March 2016. Essential specs 145KTAS @ 2400RPM, 8000', 24.2LPH, Initial RoC 1800FPM.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:02 PM

After nearly a year I figured it is about time for a (small) update.

On the 2nd January I had my first visit from a SAAA TC. Why so late in the build? Well, I had planned on registering my -9 with RAAus, the same as Retired Racer did and they don't require TC inspections. I had spoken with RAAus when I first started the build and received assurance in writing that it would be acceptable. However, after being assigned a provisional rego number with RAAus, it was decided by the Technical Manager that my RV would not be allowed on their register despite my ability to prove compliance with CAO 95.55 and a 950Lb empty weight... So I had to change tack and go through the SAAA process.

The TC (himself a VAFer with an RV-7) was understanding and gave me around a dozen squawks to rectify before it'd be considered good enough to move to the airport, none of them major. From simple things like putting a dab of sealant in various MK-319-BS rivets to replacing the original data plate (with my RAAus rego on it) to the new VH- one. Application of the VH- and Experimental stickers, and replacing the Vans passenger warning placard with one with CAsA wording. All things that I can sort out at night after the kidlets are in bed. At least he was kind enough to put "Well constructed quickbuild RV-9A" in the comments.

For now, I'm finishing off the polishing and waiting to hear back from a signwriting mob I've engaged to quote on putting some vinyl wrap on the tailcone.

The proposed livery. Replace silver with polished aluminium though.

Seem familiar?

Who needs to go to China for child labour?

First pass with F7.

After a few days watching the CAsA List of available marks I picked out VH-CEM, as the easiest to pronounce and had my rego letters made by the blokes at DIY Lettering. Incidentally, they were quite helpful when I forgot to order my under-wing letters combining those with the first order to save me a second lot of shipping.

The fuselage lettering. No fancy colours or italics for the under-wing letters.

RV-9A - Finished on 10th February 2016 after 4 years, 9 months and 19 days! The 1020th RV-9 flying.

First flight 26th March 2016. Essential specs 145KTAS @ 2400RPM, 8000', 24.2LPH, Initial RoC 1800FPM.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:16 PM

Hi Rob,

Not sure if you are aware, but here is no requirement for you to have under wing registration marks.

Cheers
RV-7 Phase 2, 30 Oct 2012
1100 hrs Feb 2020
Old 01-05-2015, 10:38 PM

Default well Done!!!

Rob, beautiful work, beautiful kids, we are envious of all the neat kit going into your build.

but.....you went from 15 to 12 switches, and I'm sure you had your reasons.
....a bunch of us went.....: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

you ARE going to add some switched device 'later', and then will have to spoil your beautiful panel! ( that, or put it one some slick sub panel, or stick grip, or console,or......well, I'm sure you'll find a way!)

build on, don't listen to the peanut gallery like me!
Old 01-06-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieseve View Post
Hi Rob,

Not sure if you are aware, but here is no requirement for you to have under wing registration marks.

Cheers
G'day Eddie, you're right, I misread the CASR's and incorrectly thought i wouldn't need them if I went to larger letters, but by having 3 sets of smaller ones I could get away with it. The CASA Exemption that doesn't require the underwing lettering expires in a few weeks though, so I'll keep an eye on it to make sure it is renewed,

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1963 View Post
Rob, beautiful work, beautiful kids, we are envious of all the neat kit going into your build.

but.....you went from 15 to 12 switches, and I'm sure you had your reasons.
....a bunch of us went.....: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

you ARE going to add some switched device 'later', and then will have to spoil your beautiful panel! ( that, or put it one some slick sub panel, or stick grip, or console,or......well, I'm sure you'll find a way!)

build on, don't listen to the peanut gallery like me!
All good Perry. I've got 7 spare holes as it is. I had initially planned on using a switch I found in flit simulators, but it was too much heartache to properly integrate it so I reverted to using simple DPDT toggles.

I've got 3x4 in the centre panel and have 5 spare slots there and the two outboard holes as well, so have got lots of room for expansion. I've also kept my original CAD file that I can update on the iPad and will just order another panel from Bill M @ Up North Aviation if things change too much. He did excellent work on my first one and will get my business again if need be.

My initial operations will be day VFR anyway, so I don't even have landing lights fitted, in an attempt to keep the weight down. As time goes by, I'll install them , add nav lights and strobes, but I can't justify the cost of them at the moment based on the kind of flying ill be doing.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:11 PM

So, it's been another few months and it's time for a bit of an update.

Structurally, the aeroplane-in-a-box is complete. There is nothing left to do to make it flyable, other than take it to the airport. I could bolt the wings on and fly it by dinnertime.

That being said, there is still a short list of things I need to do before the first flight, including some of the following:
  • Calibrate the fuel gauges for both tanks.
  • Verify adequate fuel flow in a nose-up attitude.
  • Calibrate the compass
  • Verify full power operation for a certain time.
  • Install and safety-wire the prop.
  • Permanently install the wingtips, elevator and horizontal stabiliser fairings.
  • Stick on the vinyl registration stickers to the tail & wing.
  • Install the flightworthy bolts in the wing spars, control runs and tail attachments and;
  • Verify control surface travel is within limits and the control stops function effectively.
  • Calculate the empty weight Centre of Gravity, Gross Weight CG and Zero Fuel Weight CG, to ensure they remain within limits.

I've had 2 inspections from a "Technical Counsellor", and have corrected the deficiencies he picked up yesterday, the biggie being inadequate spinner-to-cowling clearance. Sorted that out by installing 2 x 2 washers under the upper engine mounts to lower the spinner slightly. When she's flying, I'll order a marginally longer spacer from Saber, a new aluminium spinner from Cummins Spinners to make it look better as I had to trim mine slightly due to the aforementioned clearance issue (Note: there was nothing at all wrong with the spinner from Alan the first time, it would have fit perfectly if I had the recommended clearance), and remove the washers to bring it back to where things should be.

We weighed the plane yesterday and came up with the following Left gear: 169.7, Nose Gear: 82.85, Right Gear: 169.7 for a total empty weight of 422.25Kg, or 931Lbs. I'm very happy with that, as The Mothership suggest an empty weight of 1028-1075Lbs, so I'm nearly 100lbs lighter than could reasonably be expected. I didn't have the prop blades (Sensenich composite G/A, 3 Lbs) or the gear fairings installed, so I'm still working on a 950Lbs basic empty weight.

With 165 HP she'll go like a scalded cat.

As I'll be using a registration category that limits the maximum takeoff weight to 1320Lbs initially, I have nearly 380Lbs payload, so that's me + full fuel, or Me + Mini-Me + 3.5hrs fuel, which is plenty for the intended usage.

So here's a few of the latest photos, including the chosen livery.

The complete electrical schematic for the plane.

Ignore the sleeping bag. That's there to cover the canopy at night, just-in-case....

Old 03-29-2015, 12:08 AM

Looks great! It's nice to have a color scheme with a story behind it.

What did the inspector consider inadequate spinner clearance?
Donation made for 2021
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart
Old 03-29-2015, 03:23 PM

It was slightly eccentric, with greater clearance on the bottom half, but not so much on the top. On top, I had perhaps 3/16", on the bottom, it was closer to 3/8". The two washers bought these two distances closer together, so I can consider the case closed.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:49 AM

Default The Punch List

So the story starts off Tuesday last week, when I'd arranged for a local L4 Amateur-Built Inspector to do the pre-flight final inspection on Aurora Australis. On Monday morning, I loaded up the 4WD with tools, fuel, a couple of spare parts and a jerrycan of fuel to fill with Avgas on the way. Problem being, on the way home from the airport the after flying that afternoon, I had tyre issues with the 4by so I took the KRviatrix's car the following day.

The hangar key lives on the 4by's keyring.......

So....I drive an hour and a half to the airport, and as I'm walking back from the fuel bowser, I see her fluorescent-yellow car (the only man-made thing besides the Great Wall of China that can be seen from space) in the car park, the penny drops as to what I've done, and an expletive was uttered that was heard for miles around. No one else could get into the hangar and as a result the inspection was put off till today.

We started off with an official weight and balance that gave the following:
Left main: 368.5
Right Main: 369.0
Nose gear: 244.0
TOTAL: 981.5 and a BEW CG of 76.57.

This is around 20Lbs heavier than I was expecting, but I have a full 8qt of oil in the sump and I don't think I factored that in when I last weighed the plane, so there's 13lbs or so right there...This is also without gear or gear leg fairings too, so that will go up another 5lbs or so when they're added.

End result? With a regulatory MTOW limit of 1320Lbs, I have a payload of 339Lbs. So I need to get back into the gym to increase my fuel-carrying ability!

Now, onto the inspection and what was found...The local CFI also looked over, into and through the -9 and between the 3 of us we've identified the following require attention prior to signing off the RV for flight:
  • Install standoffs between items zip-tied to the engine mount & some form of insulation under the ties when attached to the engine mount.
  • Install standoffs on the +ve battery cable to better secure one portion.
  • Seal the fuel lines and snap-bushings in the wing root to guard against CO intrusion.
  • Remove the gear leg fairing hose-clamps I'd left on.
  • Clean the fluid off the LH brake pad that leaked a couple of months ago.
  • Rectify aleak at the brake fluid reservoir that I thought I'd sorted last week. It is still there. Still...
  • Leak check the pitot system
  • Shorten the Pitot & AoA lines around the aileron bellcrank to prevent interference
  • Attach the Pitot/AoA lines to the wing to prevent work-hardening
  • Replace standard washers with -L washers under the upper gear tower bolts.
  • Tweak the LH fuel vent tube to prevent abrasion on the rudder torque tube.
  • Replace and better-attach the LH brake line to the firewall & under the Lower L longeron.
  • Better support the RH brake tube under the lower longeron.
  • Add a dab of sika to the fuel line as it enters the selector housing to prevent any abrasion.
  • Re-check and tighten all Jam nuts - 2 were found loose.
  • Replace the LH control stick-to-aileron pushrod washers with -L's.
  • Add a dab of sika to the ADAHRS cabling to better secure it.
  • Add a dab of sika to the wiring in the R wing to better secure it.
  • Secure the elevator trim DB-9 plug to the rear bulkhead.
  • Install the grease nipple in the NLG and grease the fitting - I completely missed installing this.
  • Back off NLG axle nut one flat and/or regrease NLG bearings to improve tyre rotation.
  • Tighten the RHS Brake line B-nut in the cockpit.
  • Add heatshrink around the LH & RH FQIS wires where they enter the fuselage.
  • Add a radio-call placard to the panel.
  • Double-check the passenger warning placard wording.
  • Tighten the lower-left baffle tie-rod.
  • Clean out the swarf behind #4 cylinder.

Most of this is house-keeping and I'm somewhat annoyed I have such a big list to attend to. I'm particularly annoyed at myself for missing not one but two jam nuts and the grease nipple in the NLG. Once this is done we'll go over the list to make sure everything is set, take a few photos for the aircraft data file and submit the paperwork to RAAus HQ to officially finalise the registration process.

As I'm busy for the next couple of weeks, I'll have to wait until after Christmas to get stuck into this list, but fortunately, it is a longish list of relatively minor corrections. I'll order some new plastic and aluminium tubing from Vans tonight, as well as a new T fitting for the brake fluid reservoir and go from there.

Here's an old photo showing one of the issues raised, you can see the brake line has the potential to abrade against the fuselage and/or longeron. If you do this too, consider a dab of sikaflex every 6" or so.