-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:38 PM

I have a G36 Bonanza with tip tanks for serious cross-country and business trips. I'm having it turbo-normalized next month. Average trips are about 2-1/2 hours in it. Building the -8 (ever so slowly) for fun flying.
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Dynon Skyview HDX, Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Whirlwind 200RV CS Prop
First Flight 11/20/2016
https://www.marksrv8.com
Old 07-22-2014, 03:18 PM

Default 4 seater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemGuy View Post
I have a share in a Piper Dakota that is my "station wagon" for hauling people. I just bought a -8 to build as my "sports car".

Can't wait to get started building. Got to clean garage now......
Same story for me. I own a Dakota with 4 seats. The RV-7A will be more fun and fly more often. But I can't keep both, so which one will I sell?
Anacortes, WA
www.mykitlog.com/sglynn
Old 07-23-2014, 05:50 AM

Default Just Highlander

My first flight was July 4th on my 3rd build, a Just Highlander. Someone on this site suggested a Highlander as a good second airplane to an RV a couple of years ago. Mine is the standard version not the Super Stol. So far it's been a blast to fly and after almost 30 years of flying forced me to get my tail wheel endorsement. Well they do have a nose wheel option but getting my tailwheel endorsement was the goal. Working with fabric was also a goal as my first build was a PulsarXP (composite), second was the RV7A. The Highlander already has skis for winter flying and hopefully I'll be putting her on amphibious floats in a couple of years.

[IMG][/url][/IMG]

[IMG][/url][/IMG]

Gary
N715AB RV7A 1140 hours
N325AB Highlander 14.5 hours
Old 12-30-2014, 09:56 AM

Here is my Second Airplane. A Just Aircraft SuperSTOL. First flew Dec 17, 2014. Lucked out on the day It has a Rotax 914 Turbo and a Catto prop along with G3X in the panel and 29" bushwheels. It is covered in Stewarts and I painted it myself using a Sata gun. It is fun to have two totally different aircraft. Approach at 40mph just feels wrong!

RV10 Built and Flying Since Feb 2009
950hrs Plus
CC EX-2 Flying
SuperSTOL Built and Sold
RV9 Built and Sold
Avid Aerobat Built and Sold
Dues paid Nov 2019
Old 12-30-2014, 10:02 AM

Default Perfect combo

Troy,
Of course I'm a little bias but your pairing is perfect

Have fun with both.

Gary
Old 12-30-2014, 08:02 PM

Default Second airplane for sale

I put the deposit down on the RV-8 right after the immaculate, IFR straight-tail Cessna was sold. And then the Cessna buyer backed out the night before he was supposed to come pick it up. So now I have two...

Cessna advantages:
* Great for IFR, doesn't go completely nuts in turbulence, big panel
* There's lots of marginal VFR that is really super easy IFR. Lots of dispatch flexibility that the VFR RV-8 doesn't have
* Springs in the seats and more wiggle room, so it's more comfortable than the RV-8. Then again, with the slower speed, you have lots of time to enjoy the comfort.
* High wing for shade in the summer and for sightseeing all year around
* Handles crosswinds easily, even ugly, gusty crosswinds
* Carries a load and has four seats
* The handling doesn't change as you load it up -- it's as easy to fly fully loaded as solo
* Much easier to land if you're tired or having a bad day (safety)
* Tricycle gear makes taxiing easier and safer because you can see everything, all the time, without having to S-turn
* STOL kit makes stalls a curiosity, not a hazard
* Mine has outstanding radios that minimize workload

RV-8 Advantages
* Speed
* Adrenaline rush, or semi-, when you fly it. 60 degree banks are easy and safe
* Speed
* Experimental maintenance rules reduce cost and hassle
* Speed
* Shows any shortages in your skills (both a plus and a minus) and that makes it more satisfying to fly really, really well
* Speed

If I could sell them both, I'd probably go for an RV-14A. Properly equipped, an RV-14A would have most of the advantages of each.
Vaccines kept me out of the hospital but COVID still cost me a month of living, all told...
Old 12-30-2014, 08:10 PM

Right now I have a Warrior II and I intend to start building an RV-10 as my primary cross country machine to replace the Warrior. Once that is complete I would hope to eventually acquire (or build) a Super Cub or maybe a Super STOL as a fun flyer. If I could afford a third I would look at a six seater of some kind.

But first things first...
Old 12-31-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post
Here is my Second Airplane. A Just Aircraft SuperSTOL. First flew Dec 17, 2014. Lucked out on the day It has a Rotax 914 Turbo and a Catto prop along with G3X in the panel and 29" bushwheels. It is covered in Stewarts and I painted it myself using a Sata gun. It is fun to have two totally different aircraft. Approach at 40mph just feels wrong!
That's going to be my next airplane. I will hopefully start building it in one year if budget predictions hold up!

VAF Donations Made 8/2019 and 12/2019
"Cum omni alio deficiente, ludere mortuis."
(When all else fails, play dead.)
Old 12-31-2014, 02:03 PM

When this thread started last year I had just one plane, my RV-8, but now my fleet has grown by 1/5! Yep, a 1/5 partner share on a T-28A; I'd like to call it my own, but in this case, I'm glad to have partners to help share the expenses.

Being an A model also helps the wallet a bit since it has the smaller 800hp Wright R-1300 with less fuel burn (35-40 gph) than the big-engine B/C models (50 gph), plus you don't need a type rating or LOA for it. My checkout flight was less than an hour around the patch with airwork, 3 landings, done. Flies nice, like a big RV-8A... but a really thirsty -8A! It'd be nice to have the extra grunt of the big engine, but what the heck, this one does fine for out farting around.

1850 hrs
Houston, TX

Last edited by jbDC9 : 12-31-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:31 PM

Default Twin Comanche ($50,000) or RV-10 ($170,000)

If I had my druthers, and an extra $170,000.00 cash laying around, I would have definitely gone with the RV-10 as a hanger mate for the RV-9. However, seeing that the sexy Twin Comanche market is depressed and for $50,000.00 a nice IFR low-time engine jewel can be had, well, looks like I'm a twinky driver now. $140,000 can pay for a lot of maintenance and hanger costs till the next mission arrives.

RV-3 Sold
RV-4 Sold
1968 Twin Comanche - Sold
RV-6a Sold
1965 Comanche 260 - Sold
RV-9 Built and Flying
600A Aerostar - Sold and regretted
2000 Maule MXT-7 Project
1965 Maule M4 Bushwacker projectů till RV-15 shows up