Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:03 AM

Default Dutch RV-12

Hello
I would like to introduce myself, I am Dennis from the Netherlands. I have been a fanatic model aircraft builder and flyer for over 25 years and competed in international level for many years. A few years ago I was looking for a new challenge which I found by building an RV-12. After obtaining my pilots license I ordered a RV-12 kit which I started building at Christmas 2011, after two and a half year of building I made the first flight on August 31st. I would like to share some of my experience of building and flying the RV12 with you.
Based on my background with model aircraft I decided to modify and add many parts to my RV12.
Below are some of the changes I made.

Fairings
Most of the added parts are fairing in an attempt to reduce the drag and improve the appearance.
Fairings added are:
Horizontal stabilizer tips, to give them a rounded tip.
Between the wing and fuselage. This smoothens the junction making the rubber squeezed between the fuselage and wing invisible.
Between the fuselage and the fin. To smoothen the junction.
From the wheel covers to the fuselage. The standard lag is square which isn't the most aerodynamic efficient shape, therefore I covered the leg with a fairing that connects to the wheel cover and the fuselage, see picture below.
A vanity panel above the instrument panel to hide the canopy tubing.
Weight reduction
Next to that I have reduced the weight of many of the standard composite parts engine cowl, wheel covers, tail cone, by using sandwich composite construction. Whereby I laminated a honeycomb material in between two thin composite layers. The added thickness created by the honeycomb increases the stiffness tremendously whereby less layers of composite are needed, thereby reducing the weight. Resulting in a empty weight of 731lbs.
Elevator trim improvement
Based on articles on this forum and some initial tests on the workbench it seemed that the elevator trim was difficult to control accurately. Making fine adjustments over the complete flight envelope is impossible. I wanted to improve this to make the system more robust. Therefore I requested a friend, with an aerospace degree from University of Technology in Delft, if he could help me. I wanted to keep the system as original as possible such that the standard trim servo with its build in safety mechanisms would remain untouched, as well as the wiring loom through the aircraft.
After some initial prototypes this resulted in a system whereby the whole travel range is divided into 200 equal steps controlled by a new instrument in my cockpit (standard 57mm mounting). On this instrument I see a digital readout of the position of the elevator which can be controlled to increase/decrease with 2 buttons on the instrument or on my control stick. In addition there are two more buttons on the instrument to store preferred positions. To ensure the safety of the device there is another part mounted in the tail next to the servo motor, this part converts the position measured by the servo from a voltage into a coded signal. This makes the systems insensitive to outside disturbances or changes in resistance of the wiring (for example by aging connectors). It is even able to detect when the system is damaged, and will report this back to the display.
Flight experiences
The RV-12 flies very well, and am enjoying it a lot. It uses very little fuel and can fly very fast.
The trim instrument has been impressive especially the digital readout which shows the position indicated between -99 & 99.
And the two memory positions are great. When I take off I push one button shortly, whereby the trim goes to the take off position. And after reaching cruise speed I press the second button to bring the trim to its cruise position. While still allowing me to make fine adjustments, even at high speeds.
Below are some pictures of the RV-12 during building.
Best regard,
Dennis

Last edited by dennis nl : 12-03-2014 at 04:16 AM.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:27 AM

Nice work Dennis! Good to see more and more RVs in the neighborhood!
RV9 #92188 - Working on wings
Old 12-03-2014, 05:39 AM

Nice gearlegs Dennis! Looks like I'm gonna loose during the RV-12 Reno airraces.

MyKitlog
Old 12-03-2014, 05:40 AM

Very nice work Dennis. I suspect you will be answering a number of questions regarding your mods. Beautiful airplane. Congratulations.

www.pflanzer-aviation.com
Paid through 2043!
Lund fishing Boat, 2017, GONE FISHING
RV-12 - Completed 2014, Sold
427 Shelby Cobra - Completed 2012, Sold
F1 EVO - partially completed, Sold
F1 Rocket - Completed 2005, Sold
RV-7A - Partially completed, Sold
RV-6 - Completed 2000, Sold
Long-EZ - Completed 1987, Sold

Old 12-03-2014, 05:53 AM

Very impressive workmanship and attention to detail. I'll bet it flies every bit as well as it looks!
Old 12-03-2014, 08:56 AM

Probably one of the nicest RV-12 flying, just watch out for the wind mills, you have one that looks quite imposing on a picture!
I envy your trim system, could you provide more details? I learned to fly on a plane that had a simple mechanical handle to control trim and I still miss the easy way to set the trim for different phases of flight as you do with your digital system. The problem with the RV-12's trim is that you are constantly fiddling with it, to the point where I keep my hand on the throttle in flight as it's the best position to operate the trim button.
Congratulations for an impressing workmanship!

Builder's name: Jean-Pierre Bernoux
Sport Pilot
Kit # 120395 N124BX
Flying as of 9/11/2013

Builder's Blog:http://vieilleburette.blogspot.com/
EAA 1114
Old 12-03-2014, 09:04 AM

Very nice work! please show your panel and interior.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:31 PM

Dennis,

VERY neat trims around the wing roots, tail and wing tips.

Have you thought about passing the info to Vans? I'd certainly be interested in adding them to mine (SLSA).

Great looking airplane!!
Old 12-03-2014, 12:41 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis nl View Post
Hello
I would like to introduce myself, I am Dennis from the Netherlands.
Dennis, welcome aboard the good ship VAF

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 12-03-2014, 01:21 PM

Congratulations Dennis . . . well done!

KLM? . . .