What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 #74395 Karl Bambas

KJBSouth

Well Known Member
Build Day One
Two days short of six months from deciding to build the -7. Months devoted to arranging two shops (Michigan and Florida), buying and building tools, and practicing with Van's airfoil kit. A lot of practice was needed to produce decent set rivets. Found 30psi on AD3 rivets worked best for me.

Today blue plastic was stripped from HS parts. The fit of reinforcing bars to the HS rear spar is perfect - no edge rounding required.

110414_01.JPG

Awesome Karl! Keep up the pounding. I do 30 PSI on my #3 rivets, too!

Welcome Karl - it is a journey you will never forget. I always tell a new builder to "eat the elephant a small piece a day" :)

Welcome aboard, Karl.

I like your zeal for life. You should enjoy the building as well as the flying of your RV-7.

I am wondering if you have joined the UFO's (United Flying Octogenarians). My dad was a member, and one of my goals in life is to join in 13.5 years.

I enjoyed visiting your web site. Your shop is well organized. It's interesting that you will be building in both Michigan and Florida. Also, it's a good sign to see your partner out in the shop helping.

And for you young whippersnappers who may not know, that thing over along the left wall is a drafting table and a T-square. :D They were commonly used by engineers and designers just 30 or so years ago before CAD took over. I always thought I'd get a used drafting machine for my shop but I never bought one.

Karl, we are looking forward to your progress on your project. And if you get stumped or wonder about some step or sequence, don't hesitate to ask. The folks who frequent this site have a wealth of knowledge about airplanes in general and RV airplanes in particular.

Congratulations

I keep my air pressure at 90 PSI at the compressor and I have a numbered restriction valve at the end of my swivel disconnect just before the 3X Rivet gun. I keep that restriction valve number around 3 to 3.5 for AD 3 up to about AD 3-4 then I up those to 4.

Sometimes on the bigger rivets I like to have more force and I use 5 at times. I checked and rechecked the first hundred or so and after awhile you get a "feel" for a good rivet sound as it homes in the shop head.

I always use ear protectors so that the "sound" is always the same and for the most part I now only check maybe 10% of my rivets. Presently I am finished the empennage, wings, and moving on to the QB fuselage.

This thing is a huge time suck, and I do hope the others here are right when they say that when you fly it ..... it will be worth it! Cause for me at the moment it is way more work than I signed up for. lol :):):):)

Good luck

Invest in a pneumatic riveter

Invest in a Pneumatic Riveter, for those you can reach makes perfect rivets every time. I bought one this past summer at Oshkosh from Avery. Just keep in mind you need to learn to rivet with a bucking bar as well. Stay Calm and Rivet On!

Welcome Karl and Dolly,

Yep never to old to start a new project. It is dreams and hopes that keep the spirit alive.

If I can ever help just let me know.... I finished my 7 in 2013 after 2 years 9 months and 28 days. everything was slow build except the fuselage.

I treated it like a job and tried to work on it every day in between my corporate flying job.

They fly great. they are a little quicker on the controls than the swift and in the same category in landing.

Welcome aboard.

Smilin' Jack

Karl,
Welcome aboard. You are about to embark on a wonderful journey of fun, frustration, new friends and a lot of excitement. do not look too far ahead or you will be shell shocked at how much there is to do. One project at a time and sooner than you know, there will be no projects left and you have a wonderful airplane.

Bernie

Go, Karl!

Great to hear you're hard at it. The build process is a fascinating journey ... One you'll never regret. Bon voyage!!!! :D

Horizontal stabilizer is complete.

PB220031.JPG

More on our weblog.

Love it Karl!!!

You must of ordered your kit only a few days before me! Im 74397!

Although my HS is not complete yet so you got me beat! Great pics and blog btw! Keep up the good work buddy!

Now a long wait

P011815(20).JPG

Except for the fiberglas tips, Dolly and I finished the empenage on January 15th. The pieces are wrapped in blankets and ready for transport to Michigan. There were no insurmountable problems in that no replacement parts were needed. However I did become an "expert" at drilling out rivets.:eek:

P011815(1).JPG

Now the long wait for the quickbuild wings and fuselage. Our December order is forecast for May/June delivery. I'll use the time to plan the panel and maybe a paint scheme. We live a half hour flight from Sun-N-Fun.

Battle half over with your building buddy there!

So great your SO is into the process and you will need her help for sure. Frustration for sure, some digusting mistakes at times. but all in all mine will take to the air this year i hope after about 6 years of concerted effort and that will be a grand day indeed. Good luck and have fun!

Back