Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2014, 09:50 PM

Default Wow, what a weekend!

Cindy and I had another great time at the Petit Jean Fly-in !!

This is one flying event we do together that I think she gets even more excited about than I do. Which is a lot. We really look forward to it.

Having a "real" Air Boss on the field was great! Thanks to "CapConn" (Bob and Linda)

It's always great to see old friends and make new ones!

Friday afternoon just as everyone was loading up in the vans to go to the Lodge for dinner two more RV's land. So, I run out and show them the best place to park. The last plane is Ron Moring in his RV-8 from the IL/Wis border. He was running late due to fog up that way. His paint scheme is unusual and he took some ribbing about it when he won a prize at the dinner. But, I had seen the paint up close and it is awesome. I just did a little checking on the net and YEP he won an "Outstanding Workmanship - Plaque" at Oshkosh this year!!

But the most important part was what Ron was hauling in from Wisconsin.
A case of New Glarus Spotted Cow Beer !! And a bunch of cheese! He even had some Spotted Cow cheese!

I got the Spotted Cow into the coolers quickly, hiding 3 beers in my personal cooler down by my tent Thanks Ron!

All the volunteers from the two EAA chapters did a great job as usual!

Here's a link to some of the photos Cindy and I took.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10692...MTF8omYktXawQE

FFI FL-24
A&P

Last edited by Mark Burns : 10-27-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:58 AM

Thumbs up Petit Jean Formation Flying

Mark...thanks for the pictures. Very nice!

I do want to acknowledge Bill and Bulldog Flight for their demonstration(s) of the precision of formation flying.

I (a non-pilot spouse) had fully intended to listen in on the talks about formation flying under the tent, but found myself otherwise occupied at those times. Maybe next time. I find what you all do, and how you do it, quite fascinating.

Wallace was flying at the time of your Sat. afternoon demonstration, but I watched....Simply beautiful...yet full of incredible hard work and skill. Thank you all for sharing.

Marietta Goodloe
Phase 2 has started!
Thanksgiving time, is dues time for us
Old 10-28-2014, 10:11 AM

Default Great pics, Mark

Thanks for the pics, Mark. We didn't get to make it this year. Maybe one day.
RV7 slider - First flight 5/3/14
Over 500 hours on the Hobbs now
N516RC
Old 10-28-2014, 11:18 AM

Nice photos and great to see the Triple Tree Spartan there.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:43 PM

Default Photo One @ Petit Jean Photo Run

Here are some photos from the east end of Petit Jean Photo Run.
Maybe I can coax everyone closer to the cliffs next year. The wife won't beat you until you land unless you taught her to fly.Adrenalin is good for the circulation.
[ed. Non-advertiser offer removed. Great pics though! dr] Thank You for letting me do this, I had a great time

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123406...7649021657085/

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 10-28-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:53 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF!

Daniel, welcome aboard the good ship VAF

Nice photos, and good of you to offer them to the folks who were flying. VAF family values at its best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Valovich View Post
Please contact me for photos if you made the photo run. Everyone has at least one good photo, some many more.Thank You for letting me do this, I had a great time

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."

Last edited by Mike S : 10-28-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:

Wow, check out the dawn pictures from the point.

I've been driving one of the shuttle vans on Saturday morning, and normally get up before dawn anyway. Assuming I make it to PJ next year (yep, Patti and I are planning on it), let's organize a before-dawn departure and take a bus load down to the point to see the sunrise.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:10 PM

Smile What a sunrise departure .....

John Burgin sent me this one they shot as the sun was coming up Sunday morning as he departed. The clouds(low fog) form over the river and follow it around the mountain. It really is beautiful to be standing on Overlook Point and watching as it happens..... having said that, it might even be better from the air? Wonder which John would prefer ?

If you look hard, you can see the Rockefeller Conference Center in the cleared area in the foreground and then remember that the lake in the middle is at the south end of the runway!

Just another cool Petit Jean thing you won't see anywhere else .....

Thanks to everyone for coming! Next year, we'll have the picture thing humming... !

BTW, the wingtip in the picture is Kelly Green ..... don't mistake it for Lime or even John Deere Green

BillSchlatterer@sbcglobal.net
Dues Paid 5/26/21

Last edited by BillSchlatterer : 10-28-2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Wow, check out the dawn pictures from the point.

I've been driving one of the shuttle vans on Saturday morning, and normally get up before dawn anyway. Assuming I make it to PJ next year (yep, Patti and I are planning on it), let's organize a before-dawn departure and take a bus load down to the point to see the sunrise.
I'd get up early for that, Dan. Especially if we can get the formation guys to perform a flight for us just at the right time as we are standing on the ridge.

Oh yeah, Carey said I better post something on here about how much fun both of us had, but you guys have already beat me to it. I don't know who ordered the weather and the great company but thanks for allowing us to join in!

Just to top off an already great event, as we were flying home I looked down and saw KGOK off the left wing about 6 miles away. I wondered aloud what our eldest daughter was doing on a Sunday afternoon. Believe it or not, Carey had a cell signal and a quick call had us a free ride to lunch at "Pops" east of Edmond and a great impromptu visit. http://www.route66.com/

Fly safe my friends!

Joe

Last edited by Caveman : 10-28-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:02 PM

Thumbs up Photo Opportunities

Quote:
Maybe I can coax everyone closer to the cliffs next year. The wife won't beat you until you land unless you taught her to fly.Adrenalin is good for the circulation.

Thank You for letting me do this, I had a great time

Dan stood on the mountain for 6 hours Friday and 4 hours Saturday and shot a lot of great pictures! He can do some really cool stuff as many of you know and can tell from the pictures in his link. Some of the shots didn't come out as well as we would have liked because of distances and timing but some were really good. We'll do better next year for sure

We also shot a gazillion runway shots that will be coming out later this week as well. Give us just a little time to get it together... we're still unpacking blue totes

All registered pilots can expect a more complete email later this week with all the photo opportunity details. It's all good !!

BillSchlatterer@sbcglobal.net
Dues Paid 5/26/21