- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

18 RV's on the ramp Friday night with 40 People registered plus about a dozen EAA chapter 471 members working to make this a great LOE and acting as our host.

Great weather this morning, clear 5 knot winds.

Hope you get to come and enjoy!!!!
N710RV - RV-10 Sold
N65RV - RV-6A Sold
N686RV - RV-6A Re-Built, Sold
N742PZ - RV-8 Co-Builder Sold
N-867RV -RV-7 Finish Kit
Old 10-04-2014, 10:02 AM

Had nice flight from Phoenix yesterday. Stopped at Santa Teresa for fuel
. They have installed self service pumps just in front of the war museum since the last time we stopped. Winds picked up and were real gusty for our landing. EAA 471 is going all out here with their hospitality. Breakfast was great!

Thomas Velvick
Goodyear, AZ (KGYR)

2020 Donation sent.

N53KT RV-6a finished 2018, Flying
N7053L RV-4 Wife's RV
N56KT RV-4 Finishing

Last edited by rvator51 : 10-04-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

Great turnout. 50 Airplanes flew in, mostly RV's. I understood that one of the supervisors told the controllers " there are a bunch of pilots coming that are not real fimilar with Class C airspace and I don't want any told to call the tower when the land". And it didn't happen!!! Probably because everybody was perfect!!!

We had 104 pilots, passengers, and drive ins come to LOE 2014 and the banquet / Big Screen TV Air Condition Room that EAA Chapter 471 built just for LOE was almost at capacity for the banquet. Betty Rose's BBQ was so god and tender you did not need a knife and people were invited to go back for more. It has to be one of the all time great LOE catered meals we ever had, at least sine 2001 when I started attending.

I cannot thank enough the multitude of EAA Chapter 471 members who went all out to make this event such a great weekend event.

Stu McGrudy and his crew also entertained us with some great formation flying. Please come again next year as you were a big hit.

Tha ONLY complaints I heard all weekend was "Where in the heck is all the RV'ers from the DFW area?" Hay guys you were way under represented. Maybe next year we will offer a door prize to the airport that has the greatest number fly in!!!!

Thanks also go out to all the raffle prize donors who made a bunch of people happy with what they took home.
N710RV - RV-10 Sold
N65RV - RV-6A Sold
N686RV - RV-6A Re-Built, Sold
N742PZ - RV-8 Co-Builder Sold
N-867RV -RV-7 Finish Kit
Old 10-05-2014, 11:48 AM

Just returned home from my first LOE event.
I was very impressed with the amount of organization and hospitality that went into making it such a successful fly in.
The venue was absolutely perfect. The people were great.
Many thanks to the organizers and EAA 471 for hosting this great event.
DFW TX
Dues Paid
Old 10-05-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav1111 View Post
Great turnout. 50 Airplanes flew in, mostly RV's. I understood that one of the supervisors told the controllers " there are a bunch of pilots coming that are not real fimilar with Class C airspace and I don't want any told to call the tower when the land". And it didn't happen!!! Probably because everybody was perfect!!!

We had 104 pilots, passengers, and drive ins come to LOE 2014 and the banquet / Big Screen TV Air Condition Room that EAA Chapter 471 built just for LOE was almost at capacity for the banquet. Betty Rose's BBQ was so god and tender you did not need a knife and people were invited to go back for more. It has to be one of the all time great LOE catered meals we ever had, at least sine 2001 when I started attending.

I cannot thank enough the multitude of EAA Chapter 471 members who went all out to make this event such a great weekend event.

Stu McGrudy and his crew also entertained us with some great formation flying. Please come again next year as you were a big hit.

Tha ONLY complaints I heard all weekend was "Where in the heck is all the RV'ers from the DFW area?" Hay guys you were way under represented. Maybe next year we will offer a door prize to the airport that has the greatest number fly in!!!!

Thanks also go out to all the raffle prize donors who made a bunch of people happy with what they took home.
We had a flight of 3 in from DFW, but I will have to agree, I didn't recognize too many local faces. I wish I could have stayed longer but at least we got to spend the afternoon talking airplanes which is my favorite thing to do.

The ATC guys at ABI have always been great, a couple of my wingmen had some issues at departure time and we were doing 'donuts' at the runway hold line, it must have looked a bit like a circus act when we were leaving... I called the folks in tower twice with the 'delay', their reply: "no problem, we've seen worse!"

Thanks for chapter 471 for hosting the event, you did a fantastic job

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 2000+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 10-06-2014, 09:15 AM

Had a great time meeting new folks on the Friday overnight. Sorry we could not stay to meet all the people coming in Sat morning. Diane and I were just stopping by during the outbound leg of a long holiday trip. In Vegas now. Went to the dam yesterday. Well worth it. Doing canyons this week. Will post pick later.
YIO-360-M1B, mags, CS, GRT EX and WS H1s & A/P, Navworx
Unpainted, polished....kinda'... Eyeballin' vinyl really hard.
Yeah. The boss got a Silhouette Cameo 4 Xmas 2019.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav1111 View Post
.................,.....Stu McGrudy and his crew also entertained us with some great formation flying. Please come again next year as you were a big hit. .............
When did Stu change his last name?
Pete Hunt, [San Diego] VAF #1069
RV-6, RV-6A, T-6G
ATP, CFII, A&P

2021 Donation+, Gladly Sent
Old 10-06-2014, 11:30 AM

Default First LOE

I had no idea how much fun I was going to have when I asked if there was room for me at LOE.

I want to thank everyone at LOE 14 for such wonderful time. The hospitality was spectacular, the food was delicious and the festivities entertaining. Simply put the event was a delight.

I got to meet a lot of very interesting people, some whose names I?ve long heard or read; and while you may not consider yourself special ? to me, you are all icons in this amazing community.

For those that expressed an interest in meeting up at the Petit Jean Fly-In ? I will try. I forgot to mention, so I?ll put out my own request, for those that can make it: I?ll be driving out on the Saturday of the South East Regional Fly-In (SERFI @ KGZH) ? So I expect to see you there!

Thank you RV community for an amazing weekend.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCHunt View Post
When did Stu change his last name?
I got quite a kick out of that too. We've been talking about getting some new Falcon Flight shirts made. Maybe one of them will have an accidental misspelling embroidered. I'm sure he wouldn't mind
RV-9A N4822C flying 2200+hrs. / Cedar Park, TX
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
VAF Advertiser
Old 10-07-2014, 08:38 AM

Question What happened to LOE?

Did something change drastically about LOE? Seems like it used to be one of the premier RV events. Tons of posts leading up to it and then many posts and photos after. Seemed like everyone wished they could be there. One of the big items on my RV bucket list if I ever get this thing flying. I even vacationed in New Mexico a few years back to check out Las Cruces thinking it was permanently held there. I gotta be missing something here.

[ed. It just ebbs and flows, Tom. Nothing too crazy. I missed this year because I was going through my Mom's house with my brother and sister. I'm planning on going next year. dr]

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 10-07-2014 at 09:43 AM.