to donate fast.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:30 PM

A new Advanced RV-8 Quick Panel just before powder coating:

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:19 AM

Rob,

This looks great in the RV-8 panel! Glad it all fits...
Advanced Flight Systems

Van's Aircraft Inc. Technical Support-Retired
EAA Tech Counselor & Flight Advisor

www.westcoastravens.com
Old 02-18-2015, 02:48 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Rob, do you use jumper wires for the interconnect with the various Dsub connectors, or is this all done with printed circuit boards?

I suspect the fuse panel is on a circuit board, but jumpers would allow a lot of flexibility to make different configurations as customers want specific pieces of hardware in their panel.

Sure does look good, and really cleans up the back side of the panel.

A photo of the unit with the back off would be sweet.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 02-19-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Rob, do you use jumper wires for the interconnect with the various Dsub connectors, or is this all done with printed circuit boards?

I suspect the fuse panel is on a circuit board, but jumpers would allow a lot of flexibility to make different configurations as customers want specific pieces of hardware in their panel.

Sure does look good, and really cleans up the back side of the panel.

A photo of the unit with the back off would be sweet.

There are no jumper wires in the box, it is all done on the PCB. So far we have not found any configurations that it was not already designed to handle. We have been doing this for over 16 years and have a lot of experience with panel interconnect wiring. The experimental aircraft community (and our tech support team) was ready for a properly engineered, standardized and tested way of wiring a panel and the aircraft.

The old way to wire your panel >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The new way to wire your panel.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc. - A Dynon Avionics Company
Old 02-19-2015, 12:49 PM

So when is the one for the Skyviews going to be available?

Thomas Velvick
Goodyear, AZ (KGYR)

2020 Donation sent.

N53KT RV-6a finished 2018, Flying
N7053L RV-4 Wife's RV
N56KT RV-4 Finishing
Old 02-19-2015, 01:25 PM

It IS available for Skyview. Quick Panels are available with either Advanced or Skyview EFIS's.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:24 AM

Rob/Jenny - one comment, if I may... The integration provided by the Advanced Control Module is terrific. In looking at it I see one area of concern, the lack of expansion capability for additional electrical loads. As an example, where do I plug in a fuse for my electrically-heated seats? How about when I want to install a USB charging station while retaining my cigarette lighter power port? How about power for the cabin lighting circuit so we can see what we're doing when loading up the airplane and pre-flighting?

There do not appear to be any spare slots available in the fuse panel if one has an IFR-capable airplane. What is the contingency plan to deal with this?

Also, for those who have an existing panel in a flying airplane, what's the plan for selling the Advanced Control Module, switching panels and harnesses for the retrofit market? I've seen SO many homebuilt airplanes with an absolute rats nest of wiring behind the panel. I'd like nothing better than to be able to recommend the Advanced Control Module as a means of cleaning up some of those wiring disasters.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:40 AM

If AFS doesn't sell that device separately, you can always look at:

http://approachfaststack.com/

They do exactly what you're looking for ...
Current Piper Warrior PA-28-151 Owner/Pilot
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.sling4.ninja
Old 02-20-2015, 09:45 AM

J.F. - the Approach Fast Stack handles the data/audio signals but doesn't do any of the fancy power management stuff including landing light wig-wag etc that IS handled by the Advanced Control Module (ACM). The ACM seems to hit the sweet spot of combining the functions of both the Approach Fast Stack and, to a certain extent, the Vertical Power products. I see the ACM as an excellent compromise for those who are "wire challenged".

BTW, as a guy who is not "wire challenged" I still am strongly in favour of discrete point-to-point wiring with switches, CB's etc, all bundled neatly. I've seen this technique last for years and years in the worst of environments, including sustaining battle damage. With that having been said, I know others don't have the desire/skill/knowledge/patience/time to do point-to-point wiring, so the ACM seems like a terrific product to make an instrument panel update a reasonably painless event.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:20 AM

Fair enough, I'm not entirely familiar with the features of the ACM, though I did notice it handles power related duties since I see it has fuses.

My comment was more aiming at your comment on rats' nests and such, the Fast Stack would definitely help. For a clean setup with electrical support, Fast Stack + VP-X.

More money, more features. The ACM definitely seems like could be sold as a standalone product to fill a niche in the middle between wiring everything yourself directly, and the Fast-Stack + VP-X method.
Current Piper Warrior PA-28-151 Owner/Pilot
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.sling4.ninja