-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:34 AM

Good work Miles. The project is becoming an airplane.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
I'm in, dues paid 2019 This place is worth it!
Old 02-16-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-aviator View Post
Good work Miles. The project is becoming an airplane.
Thanks David, it's really beginning to feel that way! I went out the shop for 35 minutes this morning before going out to the weekly pilots' breakfast and got the downward bends and the twists in the front ends. Now they just need to be trimmed to length and notched for HS attach bars, and they'll be ready to install.

Like most other of the dreaded tasks so far, this longeron bending thing feels kind of anticlimactic now that it's done.

PS: I'm going to be in St. Louis (Creve Coeur airport) July 20-26 for the Cessna 170 Convention, and I'd like take a look at your -8 one day. I'm guessing it will no longer be a project by then?

Construction Log
Empennage Album, Wings Album, Fuselage Album

1955 Cessna 170B flying since 1982

'To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.' -Unk.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:08 AM

Default Side Skin Conical Bends - Mixed Results...

After spending the late morning and early afternoon assisting my AI with the annual inspection of my 170, I spent a few hours finishing the conical bends in the forward side skins. I had formed the bend in the left side skin earlier in the week, but got a crack so I quit until I could get an answer back from Vans on whether the skin was usable. Tech support said the crack, after being stop drilled, is not a structural issue so I'm going to press on.

Fitting up the left side skin, I found the first iteration of the bend a bit flat at the beginning and end, and a bit sharp in the middle as compared to the aft skin. After removing the skin and taking a guess as to what the final bend should be, it literally fit like a glove.

Not really pleased with the method George Orndorff demonstrates in his video the left skin, I tried the method described in Van's instructions on the right skin. Instead of using an aluminum angle I used a piece of the 1x1x1/8 steel angle I used to keep the trailing edge of the rudder straight. I used a 3/32 drill rather than a #40 to keep the holes as small as possible, as I had heard of at least one builder that had the clecos pull through. Well, when I started the bend, the forward half of the clecos unzipped so loudly, I thought I had torn the corner completely off the skin. Fortunately, the noise was just the clecos pulling through the steel angle, and there was no damage at all to the skin. After I re-clecoed and added clamps, the bend went pretty much to plan. To finish up, I did have to remove the forward cleco and clamp to eliminate their interference with the clamping plate.

Even though the aft end of the bend on the right skin looked slightly uneven, it fit the aft curve fairly well and pulled in easily as it was clecoed.

I did have a crack in the forward end of this bend as well, although a bit shorter than the one on the left side. I'm thinking about adding an AN470-4 rivet to nowhere on each side just so the holes look like they're supposed to be there... If I were doing this again, I would radius the edge of clamping plate, and drill the relief hole out to #30 and deburr it well before starting the bend.

Construction Log

Old 05-26-2014, 01:31 AM

Angry BIG Step Backward...

Today I completed disassembly of the fuselage. While trying to get a third support under the fuselage (solo) so I could take the load off of the center to aft fuselage joint, I inadvertently let the fuselage slide off one of the sawhorses. I caught it before it hit the floor, but the corner of the sawhorse gouged and dented the F-776 center fuselage bottom skin.

The damage is worse than is evident in either of the first two photos below. I did try to tap the dent out, but only succeeded in making it worse. The skin is stretched enough to allow gross oil canning. I'm going to bite the bullet and order a new skin; after all there are only about 275 rivets to drill out. For the rest of the day?s maneuvering of the fuselage, I enlisted my wife's help. I just wish I had done that earlier...

Just so the day wouldn't be a total loss, I deburred all the holes in the forward and center fuselage skeleton parts, including the F-704 and F-705 bulkheads.

Construction Log

Old 05-26-2014, 09:55 AM

Default Oh man...

Wow, that's a bummer Miles. I can't imagine how upset you are. Well, someday it'll just be a bad memory.

Have been busy myself, got the windscreen glued in yesterday and the cowl fitted with the Skybolt system last weekend.

VAF#1145
Donation up to date 08/20
Old 05-26-2014, 12:35 PM

Thanks Bruce. I'm not too upset, I just got what I deserved for trying to handle something that large by myself. It took about 15 minutes to go through some the options in my mind:

1. Leave it alone... No, every time I'd hear it oil can I'd be reminded of my stupidity.

2. Install a doubler and/or a stiffener... No, same reason as above; even though that might eliminate the oil canning, I'd still have the visual reminder.

3. Find someone who knows how to shrink aluminum... No, don't know anyone, and quite possibly very expensive.

4. Replace the skin. Yep, just pay the penance, and quite possibly never run out of 0.025 scrap.

BTW, how close are you to taking your project to the airport? Let me know if/when you need help.

Construction Log

Old 05-26-2014, 03:13 PM

Haha, guess you'll have plenty of scrap!

I'm not exactly sure when I'll move to the airport. I want to do as much of the fiberglass work in the garage as I can before I do, especially with it getting hot again. So, I'm thinking somewhere in the July/August timeframe. I'm not working very fast these days, the new job is keeping me way too busy and such. Thanks for the offer, I might need the help!
VAF#1145
Donation up to date 08/20
Old 05-27-2014, 07:36 AM

Default Ahhh Maaannnnn!!!!

Sorry to see this set back Miles. That would be months worth of a set back for me up here. Time in the garage is getting harder and harder to come by lately. I don't know about you, but I don't know how I would get through this building business if it wasn't for the 170 standing by for the occasional piece of mind flights.
I think your decision to re-do is the right one. Much nicer to continue work on a nice project from here on out, rather than a dented up mangled one.
Keep up the nice work.
Tom
SB wings in progress
Tail kit complete
Old 05-27-2014, 09:25 AM

Default Step backward

Miles, I feel for you on that boo-boo. I've always said that the the measure of a. Great builder is to "adjust" screw ups so they are invisable to everyone but the builder. However in some cases such as this, replacement is most advisable. You will be glad you did......see ya an a couple months.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:53 AM

Sorry for your mishap.
I know how you must feel. My wife accidently drove her car over my just finished canopy frame.
I drilled it out and rebuilt it in half the time it took the first time and I expect your experience will be the same. Always faster the second time around.
Once you get over the initial shock, its not too bad.
Good luck.
DFW TX
Dues Paid