-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:11 PM

KOWI finally opened Runway 13/31 several weeks ago after re-seeding last fall. The rains last week have kept me off until now, it's dry and the grass is defenitely growing! I now have grass stains all over the wheelpants.

I stopped my my friends private strip but nobody was home except some cows. I should've got a pic of the cows, maybe next time.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyden View Post
I recognize Basin Harbor, VT. Probably been 10 years since I was last there.

Nice shot!
Wow. Love that place. My brother got married there a decade ago, right before I became a pilot. We even watched the Northern Lights from there the night of his wedding! I always figured I'd fly in there one day. Maybe after I finish the Glastar I'll head east to visit some of the family.
Spokane, WA
Old 05-07-2014, 02:38 PM

Talking

Another one to add, MO9 Kingsley Missouri. My wife finally had a Wednesday off, I was giddy when she suggested we fly somewhere for lunch! It's a crop dusting strip with a "Hangar Kafe." Loved the place, great food, great people and unbelievable prices.

Food shot.

Runway has a slight hill that peaks about midfield at the restaurant.

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 05-07-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:39 AM

How is the condition of the rwy at MO9? Been thinking of going to lunch there too.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:57 AM

MO9's grass strip was in decent shape I thought, 6 out of 10 maybe. It was rolled pretty smooth (no tin-canning echoing though the rear fuse) but had some bare spots/ruts (filled with what looked like a sand/dirt/grass seed mixture) I avoided on landing/takeoff/rollout. It has the hill in the middle of it by the restaurant, you can only see half the runway when on the ground.
Good Luck!
Old 05-12-2014, 07:24 PM

Talking Couple more

Quote:
open invitation to wandering Ruski's
You're welcome to add 12VA to your collection of grass runways, Vlad. Let us know you're coming, and don't land on top of me if I'm on the lawnmower.

I haven't jumped the hoops yet for posting pictures but we're on Airnav

Looking forward to having you visit and becoming your 101st friend...

-Bil
l

Thank you Bill Boyd for good time. Nice place you have there in VA. Glen and I visited Hop Along 12VA.

This is another great location Massey Aerodrome in Maryland MD1. They had their annual chili cookout and I stopped by for couple minutes. Next year I will come for two hours.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:42 PM

Default 49clipper

I live on a grass strip so I have literally hundreds of landings here and way too many other strips to even try to count. Most (probably 80%) of my landings in my RV and whatever else i have had are on grass. Not really a big deal.
Jim
Old 05-24-2014, 08:31 PM

Default 9W8 Baublitz

An airport friendly to transients. 9W8 Baublitz in Brogue PA. The runway is long and has a dip in the middle. If you are landing a nosedragger and didn't stop in first 1/3 then add a bit of power and jump over soft low midpoint. You will have plenty of uphill runway left to stop. At the time of my visit their lawn mower tractor went caput. They managed to mow the sides and couldn't make the middle. All the bugs of the field were hiding in tall grass in the middle. I smashed couple three thousand then spent an hour washing them out.

Loretta Baublitz, widow of the owner, lives on the field and can tell you some stories. There is a clean mobile home used as an office/FBO. I wish they had those in Alaska.

There is self serve fuel on the field and terminal accepts all kinds of plastic even roubles.

No food in the walking distance there was a restaurant 1 mile out but closed its doors recently.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:33 PM

Default 12N Andover, PA92 Blue Mountain Academy, KLHV Lock Haven

12N Andover has a nicely manicured grass close to their brand new asphalt. The closest distance from parking to swimming. Exit grass at an angle there is a rut

Blue Mountain Academy field a picturesque place. Watch the road when turning cars don't see you and they don't care about limit posted.

Lock Haven Piper Memorial. I go there every year in the middle of the week after work. Their Sentimental Journey. I inject myself in Piper Cubs' crowd and use the grass (27L/9R) runway.

Hi Jim

Old 06-26-2014, 09:27 PM

I live 5 min from blue mt academy, I'd like to build a hangar there but you can't fly on Saturday due to their religion.