Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2014, 01:48 PM

Default Why I sold my RV-7 after 12 years of building... (dcasey1's RV-8)

(If someone can resize these, please do!)

As some of you may know, we lost Dave Casey a few weeks back to an accident in his Varga off the CA coast. Dave was a member here, and when he was killed his RV-8 was in the paint shop. Dave's 8 was built at Stead a few hangars down from me by him and one of the best craftsmen in the RV world. He spared absolutely no expense on this airplane and he and the gentleman that built it are genuinely proud of it, so it deserves to be shared with the RV community here as Dave was just waiting to show off the paint job. Sadly he never got to see it.

Enter my dad and I. We started the 7 years ago as a father/son project, and life kept getting in the way. I joined the Navy, moved a dozen times, deployed three times... he retired and then kept taking new jobs (he sucks at retirement).... progress was slow. When news of Daves passing came along, we knew the family was going to need to move the airplane. Working with the gent that built it, and Dave's close friend, we decided to liquidate our project and buy his 8 from the family.

This airplane is absolutely amazing, as anyone that sees it in person will attest. Our plan is to try and get it to Oshkosh this summer with the builder and some other locals to present it to the RV community. If it's not a show winner, it's very very close. The whole situation is bittersweet. As Bob Mills will attest I have very mixed emotions over the whole deal. No one wanted this to happen, or play out the way it has. I was really sad to see my 7 go (Poison's "Every Rose Has a Thorn" was playing when the truck was closed up taking it away, I may have shed a tear), but my dad will be able to enjoy it while he's still able. Dave's family knows it's going to someone that watched it being built, and will absolutely care for it and appreciate it.

So I present Dave's vision...

http://i58.tinypic.com/2aetteh.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/ddm893.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/2h4ytxz.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/15plx1j.jpg

Bob Mills playing with the panel.

http://i57.tinypic.com/fd90mb.jpg

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/9651/img1629yo.jpg
RV-7, SOLD

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 03-21-2014 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Changed huge pics to links to huge pics
Old 03-21-2014, 02:29 PM

that's an outstanding story, I've followed your posts as your progress was similar to mine, and I've had plenty of life interruptions in my build, but I am not giving up

I wondered what possible reason you had to bail out of yours, I'm glad to see it makes total sense now

that being said, whoever gets your plane will have a great build as well
Old 03-21-2014, 02:50 PM

Great to hear all around Sig

Great looking airplane

Great story

Great to hear your still in the RV community

Great to hear your airplane went for a good cause and good home

And I was relieved to hear that you did'nt give up because of some sad story or crisis of confidence.

Sorry for Dave's passing and the only other sad part was to hear Mills is involved.

Go Navair!!
Old 03-21-2014, 06:56 PM

Default Love the paint!

If I should happen to repeat offend, I think I know the paint scheme for the next one.

Great looking airplane!
Flying.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gereed75 View Post
the only other sad part was to hear Mills is involved.

Go Navair!!
Funny story, when the plane came back from paint we were all in the hangar staring at it and Bob wanted to sit in it. About 1/2 a second after his butt hit the seat (I was waiting for it) I said "you know I haven't even gotten to sit in there yet." I wish I had a picture of the look on his face, it was priceless!
RV-7, SOLD
Old 03-21-2014, 10:29 PM

Great looking -8, Pat. Fly it down next weekend with Bob to the NC Formation Clinic.
Lake Norman Airpark - 14A
Old 03-22-2014, 12:17 AM

Golly!
That RV-8 is ALMOST to beautiful to fly!
Mine looks like an old taxi cab! Pretty cool cab though
RV-8 N89SE first flight 12/26/2013
Yak55M, and the wife has an RV-4
There is nothing-absolute nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing around with Aeroplanes
(with apologies to Ratty)
Old 03-22-2014, 02:22 AM

Quote:
... and the only other sad part was to hear Mills is involved.
I heard that!

Quote:
Go Navair!!
OK, we'll the other one slide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig600 View Post
Funny story, when the plane came back from paint we were all in the hangar staring at it and Bob wanted to sit in it. About 1/2 a second after his butt hit the seat (I was waiting for it) I said "you know I haven't even gotten to sit in there yet." I wish I had a picture of the look on his face, it was priceless!
It was like having your 3-year old seeing you take a tootsie pop, only to find out it was the last one...ever..."how fast can I get out of this"..."but oooohhhhh...look at the shiny new GTN-650, and the Skyview and Legacy Dynon EMS (it has dual probes throughout)...a very cool airplane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie View Post
Great looking -8, Pat. Fly it down next weekend with Bob to the NC Formation Clinic.
Oh, I've pushed that button already...even ro-sham-bo didn't work! Someday...soon!

Joking aside, Pat has expressed concern about the bittersweet nature of this purchase, because he respects Dave's memory and love for his RV. FWIW, I think it's a perfect solution. The new owner appreciates all the work and craftsmanship that went into the build, and you get more years of enjoyment of the plane with your Dad. I saw the work you put into your 7 too, so you are a builder.

Hope you enjoy one of the nicest 8's around! Oh, and check six!

Cheers,
Bob
Georgetown, TX
President/Sport 49, Sport Class Air Racing
Trustee, Formation Flying Inc (FFI)
Old 03-22-2014, 04:48 PM

That is one classy paint scheme. Enjoy the future flights which will serve as a tribute to its builder.
Donation July 2016
Old 05-05-2014, 12:30 AM

So it finally happened. After weeks of paperwork wrangling, the FAA, insurance, etc. I was finally able to take the 8 to the air. It has fixed rudders and after moving them to accommodate my 6'3" I decided a taxi test was in order. It was 0730, there wasn't a breath of wind, not a cloud in the sky, and not a soul on the field. She flies even better than she looks, just beautiful. I'm out of the fighter world now, but this thing really does fly like a little fighter. When I came back Bob Mills was sitting in his car next to the runway when I taxied clear. Then he convinced me to go again and have some form fun, and he got to OPCHECK his new helmet.

Thanks to Bob for the 5 hours of insurance mins I needed (and many go arounds). His rocket is a monster. Clipped wings, huge prop, long gear.... Despite my efforts to kill us, many many times, he never flinched! And to Scott, for those of you that know him, for facilitating this deal and walking me through the airplane nut for bolt, and everything else he's done.

RV-7, SOLD

Last edited by Sig600 : 05-05-2014 at 12:34 AM.