Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-aviator View Post
Great shot....go for it David, I'm rooting for you!
Old 12-12-2013, 04:52 PM

I'm quite jealous at your progress! Maybe I need to accidentally loose my day/night/weekend job for a few months to finish mine.
Lookin' very good indeed.
RV-9A N4822C flying 2200+hrs. / Cedar Park, TX
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
VAF Advertiser
Old 12-12-2013, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Default Very Impressive

David,

Thanks a million for sharing your experiences with your RV8 project. Have been following your thread and am inspired by all that you have done. Love the pictures, especially the one with you sitting at the controls and the prop spinning.

Keep up the great work !
Old 12-13-2013, 09:32 AM

Good going, Dave! I call dibs on a ride in that -8 when you get your Phase 1 completed!

Jim
Old 12-13-2013, 07:12 PM

Hey Dave,
I leave for a few days and the plane is almost done! Looking good, I will have to stop by next week for a progress check. Got the -6 up for a few laps in the cold.
Warmer days next week.

John
Old 02-14-2014, 08:04 AM

The day before yesterday the decision was made to bite the bullet and install the doublers in the HS front spar. I had ordered the kit and Vans sent it promptly. This is where I am at as of late yesterday.

It took 1.5 hours to remove the rudder, VS, elevators and HS from the aircraft. It took another 2 hours to remove the ribs and about 5 hours to drill out the 2 angle brackets.

I am taking it slow. If one does this every day it would go faster but slow is better to start. So far so good. The pieces came out in pretty good shape. I won't go into the technique to do it, that has been discussed on the forum and in the SB. Nothing new here on that subject, just go slow and try to limit the damage as much as possible.

Now it is a matter of putting it back together - one step at a time as per the instructions. Friend Dale Baldwin, an excellent mechanic and RV pilot, is coming over tomorrow to help, I will take all of that I can get. Should have it accomplished and everything reinstalled on the aircraft in a week or so - especially so since it is finally warming up around here. What a rotten nasty winter this has been. I really have the fever to get this machine flying and that can not be done with weather we have had this year.

RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
I'm in, dues paid 2019 This place is worth it!
Old 03-05-2014, 08:12 AM

Yes, it is sideways. Probably because I held the Iphone sideways.

I am staying in shape (to finish the RV-8 HS mod later this month and the aircraft for flight later this summer) by walking to the Sanibel light house most every day. It is 4 miles round trip - very good trek for the mind and body. So is the 80 degree weather and the sound and ambience of the Gulf of Mexico.

We departed rather impulsively from the cold mid west winter 2 weeks ago. Driving to church on 2/16, I commented to my wife wouldn't it be neat to be headed to Sanibel today. She looked at me and responded with a grin, the decision is yours. I said lets pray on it - long story short, we were packed and on the road by 5pm that day.

Will return around 3/20, hopefully the hangar will be above freezing by then. Meanwhile, it sure is pleasant in this part of the country.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
Old 03-05-2014, 09:21 AM

Dave,
You aren't missing a thing up here, that is except snow.. Ice... Cold!
We are headed down to Destin in the RV10 this Friday.
First Flight Oct 2012
Aviation Partners, LLC

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:57 PM

Well, you did miss the sleet, snow, and single digit temps. Plane looks great. Next trip to the Gulf Coast could be much faster!
Old 03-18-2014, 07:46 PM

SB 14-01-31 was completed today. This is how it looked this morning after riveting yesterday, today the ribs were reinstalled and also riveted.

Time including removing the HS was 23.5 hours. It will take 1.5 hours for the reinstall so total time - call it 25 hours.

The internal riveting went well with 2 guys (Dale Baldwin helped). I would not want to do it alone.

Overall, the task is not much more challenging than building, it's just a downer drilling out so many rivets. Installing the doublers would be very simple with an original build. I am pleased the tack is done.

RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261