- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:46 PM

Russ,
The TO/GA buttom is a simple decrete input that sets up the Autopilot for a pre-specified take-off angle and same for Go-around during a missed. Mostly IFR stuff. You can fly like a Cirrus pilot hands off most of the flight. Hit the buttom before take off and then a few feet off the ground when you hit the A/P button it assume the pitch up attitude you have pre programmed. Same for a go around. Use a little Red button switch and mount it beside the GMC.
You will notice that most panels look almost the same as that is what works.
PFD dead infront of the pilot (I first thought I should cener the two. Wrong)
MFD to it's right side
Radio stack in the middle (Most stack are even in the same order)
Switches below
Back-up usually beside or right below the PFD (our panels don't leave room for below) (To the left beside the PFD keeps it in close to direct view)

Have fun with it.
Catto three blade prop
http://www.mykitlog.com/MarkW
Old 03-17-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayforge View Post
Thoughts on the panel?

Thanks!
Russ

Here are some thoughts:
1. Don't mount the iPad, they age off too quickly to make a permanent part of any panel.
2. Mount the headset plugs on the sides, below the rail so the wires just drop along your legs and don't get caught in the canopy.
3. Move the flap switch to the right so you don’t have to move your hand from the throttle to raise or lower the flaps.
4. Dump the annunciators, your EFIS will have all you need built in.
5. Go with the Dynon D2 rather than the AFS Mini B. The reason is you can move it around as needed and you won’t take up your much needed radio stack space.
6. If needed, hide the USB ports behind the panel, out of the way and out of site.
7. Install two power ports. You will be surprised at how many things you will plug in to them.

Finally, I don’t know if it is because this is a mock up but your panel just looks overly complicated. Most likely because the switches look like they are sized for Andre the Giant.

Think about arranging your switches by phase of flight rather than function. Thus put all the switches you will need for takeoff and landing close together; taxi & landing lights, fuel pump, carb heat, etc. Starting switches can be grouped together, away from the others so you don’t accidently turn off your ignition in flight. Oh, where are your breakers?
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 03-17-2014, 04:16 PM

Bill:
  1. Good point about the iPad's form factor becoming obsolete. I do tend to stay on the bleeding edge of computing.
  2. Exactly where below the rail are you thinking for the headset switches? I was also thinking about placing them between the seats somewhere.
  3. Flaps: Maybe I don't even need a Flap switch on the panel since I have dual Infinity stick grips.
  4. Annunciators dumped. :-)
  5. I understand what you're saying about the D2 vs Mini B, but I already have the Mini B on the way and I really liked what I saw with AFS' other equipment at OSH.
  6. I'll leave the USB ports on the panel for ease of access, with so many devices now USB powered.
  7. I did buy a 2nd Cig Lighter style Power Port. I can add that.
  8. I'm reconsidering the RockRacks more. They'd be fine on a much bigger panel.
  9. Breakers? They're in the VP-X. Though if I have an emergency bus, I'll need a few. Or fuses.

Thanks!
Russ

VAF Donation made: 1/28/2020, My RV-7A Build Log
Old 03-17-2014, 10:56 PM

Default My 7A Panel

Here is a shot of my panel with the EFIS powered up. This panel has not flown yet but it is getting very close.

Mission Viejo, CA
http://www.johnsrv7a.wordpress.com
Old 03-18-2014, 07:16 AM

Good looking panel! Very impressive and good lighting as well.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Bill:
2. Exactly where below the rail are you thinking for the headset switches? I was also thinking about placing them between the seats somewhere.
See picture above ^, that was the location I was thinking about. Works great as the wires lay right along side your leg and you can reach the plugs, if you need to and you will be surprised at how many times you need to.

Quote:
3. Flaps: Maybe I don't even need a Flap switch on the panel since I have dual Infinity stick grips.
Dump it. You are adding complexity (and weight). These planes land just fine without flaps, if it comes to that.

Quote:
5. I understand what you're saying about the D2 vs Mini B, but I already have the Mini B on the way and I really liked what I saw with AFS' other equipment at OSH.
No big deal. You will be happy with the Mini B.

Quote:
6. I'll leave the USB ports on the panel for ease of access, with so many devices now USB powered.
7. I did buy a 2nd Cig Lighter style Power Port. I can add that.
No big deal. I had my USB ports hidden on the sub panel and they were easy enough to get to.
I installed a nice double marine powerport that I bought at West Marine but I cannot find it on line. It looked like a this.
In searching for it, I found this double plug with USB ports that looks it could be modify to fit nicely in your panel (remove the clear cover?). (They also make triple plugs, which wouldn't take up much more space.) Originally I had one plug wired to the always hot bus and one to the avionics master. Later on I rewired them both to the always hot bus and used the breaker on the avionics bus for something else.

Good luck with designing your panel! I really enjoyed this process!
One more suggestion, take your full scale panel mock up and put it some place where you will see it every day. (Mine was in front of my stair stepper.) You will find you will move things around until you are happy with it.

PS. These panel reviews shouldn't be in this thread, only finished panels should be displayed here. You might want to cut this out and put it on it's own thread.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html

Last edited by N941WR : 03-18-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:22 AM

Russ,

Does AFS also have a MINI B or did you mean GRT?
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Project Sold
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Old 03-18-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharrell View Post
Here is a shot of my panel with the EFIS powered up. This panel has not flown yet but it is getting very close.
Very Nice!
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Project Sold
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Old 03-18-2014, 08:53 AM

John, nice panel. Where did you get the usb connectors about the Skyview? I am about to do some panel updates and would like to add those. Will sure make update the SV maps/software easier.

RV7 N612RA, flying since july 2012
E-170/175

RV10 Tail Kit complete, Wings 98%, Working on Finishing Kit, AEIO-540 on the stand
Acro Sport 2 on deck.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:42 AM

Nice job John!
Proud Vendor for RV1, Donator to VAF
RV7A Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan, on hold while we develop new products for RV builders
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com, www.asflightlines.com