-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:36 PM

Today was a lot smoother. This morning I began with attaching the plate nuts to the tie down brackets. Then did the whole debur, clean up, prime and assemble routine, which brings the spars to completion for now.

The plans say to install the aileron bell crank brackets now, but I've seen where I may have to take them off when installing the push tube later on, so I made a note in the call out list right before the "riveting on the skin" section. I was ready to move on!
Next I got out all the rear spar parts and began to de-blue them.

I took about an hour and deburred all the edges.

Starting with the left side, I match/final drilled the aileron doublers and root attach doublers.

I learned something today that Van's does for idiots like myself. The left rear spar went so well that I tore into the right one without taking a breath. After I match drilled the doubler (W-707E) where the aileron and flap come together I realized I had the spar facing the wrong way. I had matched drilled the thing on the forward side of the spar instead of the back side. I looked up at the clock to see that it was 4:00. I had 30 mins. to call Van's and get another one coming. But before I did, I un-clecoed the doubler, flipped the spar over into the correct orientation and placed the "ruined" double in place. To my amazement, all the holes lined up perfectly. It's not like the rivet pattern is a thing of obvious symmetry either.
Well sometimes I guess you just win some. I re-clecoed it on and continued forward.

Once in a while someone comes out in the garage to try to figure out what keeps me going on this. They just don't get it. But at least I have support. I said grab that camera and take a picture so I can prove to the officials that I built this thing.

Before dinner tonight I had the rear spars completed (with clecos that is). So it's off to work tomorrow and hopefully I'll be back at it on Thursday.
Good night.
Tom
SB wings in progress
Tail kit complete
Old 11-13-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweiss View Post
Once in a while someone comes out in the garage to try to figure out what keeps me going on this. They just don't get it. But at least I have support.
Great progress Tom! Isn't this just the thing. I get the same response, no one seems to understand how we can spend every free waking min thinking about and working on the plane? It's to the point when I'm not working on the plane I get all cagey and they send me to the garage!

RV-8 - Flying!
RV-9A - sold

Dec 2021 Paid
Old 11-18-2013, 12:48 PM

Default Ribs

No "big wow" stuff to report lately. Taking care of around the home stuff in addition to preparing for the annual next week on our 170.
I did however build one of these rib flange straightening devices that I have seen on a couple builders posts here and it is FANTASTIC!
Since I've been too busy to work on the -8 at home, I thought I would take some small pieces (OK, a lot of small pieces) to work yesterday and see what I could get done in between 911 calls last night.

In about 2 hours of time with just a few minor interruptions, I was able to remove all the labels and sharpie the part # on all the ribs as well as straighten all the flanges. I began to debur the flanges on one rib but my shifties had already gone to bed and it was too loud an operation.

If you haven't gotten to the rib building stage of your kit yet, I highly recommend taking the time to put one of these together.
Even more, this would have come in handy on the tail kit ribs as well. So far one of the quietest operations to date.
I'm looking forward to getting back on track on the call outs after skipping ahead to the ribs and updating here.
See ya later
Tom
SB wings in progress
Tail kit complete
Old 12-08-2013, 01:50 AM

Well I'm sure I have found the most tedious slow going part of the build. Deburring the ribs! It's a shame they get buried beneath the skin never to be seen again after all the time invested so far. I know I could get the 1" 3M wheel out and smooth up the edges pretty quick, but I like the finish you get by using a file and sandpaper.
It takes me almost 30 minutes per rib just to do the flange and lightning hole edges. But the finish is oh so nice. I haven't even started the leading edge ribs yet, but I need a break from the deburring.

Today I laid out the left wing ribs in the orientation they will spend the rest of their lives in and stacked the right wing ribs just to confirm I could mirror the left wing by part numbers.

I also learned while looking here at another builders site, that I happened to miss the match drilling of the rear spar doublers on the upper flange where the skin rivets to it.
It's one of those areas where I need to slow down and recognize I need to change drill bits from the #30 to a #40 and not blow right through and screw it up. I also got the flange holes dimpled above the doubler plates before they get riveted on making the dimpling difficult.

Tonight I made the wife happy and brought the project into the house for family time. I figured I couldn't make too much of a mess fluting ribs. It worked out well and after the amount of time it took to debur each one, fluting was a breeze, and kind of fun too.

As a matter of fact it went so fast that after I finished one wing, I went back out to the garage and brought in the ribs for the other. Here's a pic of the right wing fluted, and the left wing on deck.

Hoping to cleco ribs to spars tomorrow on at least one wing so I can match/finish drill everything and get some stuff prepped for priming.
Good night.
Tom
SB wings in progress
Tail kit complete
Old 12-08-2013, 10:10 PM

Default Keep it up....

Wow - Tom, you are on record pace man I am enjoying your fast progress - Stay after it, my RV-8 friend, you will be passing me up and leaving me in your dust in the next day or so.
www.mykitlog.com/izzybear
VAF Dues gladly paid up till December 2021

"The ultimate responsibility of the pilot is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions of earthbound ancestors who could only stare skyward and wish." - Unknown
Old 12-10-2013, 06:01 PM

Thanks for the encouragement Jim. My pace may look fast on the computer, but if you look at the posting dates I'm just not getting the dedicated time and consistancy I would expect in the peak of winter. In addition, I believe we ordered our wing kits near the same time. But I only ordered mine then to beat the price increase knowing full well I wouldn't get started until late fall. I checked out your kitlog and was shocked how far along you are! Very motivating!

I did get out to the garage the day after my last post and started clecoing some parts together.

Once I started grabbing parts off the shelf I think I began free lancing off the blue prints and not following the call outs.

I started counter sinking holes and trying to do everything I possibly could before I break it all back down for priming.

Things started to get a little wild with the free hand counter sinking in the places too tight for the CS cage.

So once I finally realized the aileron hinges don't come into play until later I took them back off and put em back up on the shelf. But not before I broke the edges, deburred, and polished one up. I like this kind of stuff.
------------------before----------------------------

------------------after------------------------------

So now I'm ready to prime all the parts needed to rivet the rear spar together. I find myself walking in circles cause I have no handy place to prime. The temp outside (where I primed my entire tail kit) is sub-freezing, plus I have switched primer for the rest of the build. I will no longer be using the Napa rattle can (even though it did a fantistic job). I'm using the wings as a primer transition in preparation for the fuse where I have a plan (but will get to that next year).
Any way, I think I need to make a temp. spray booth which will put me back a day or two, but will speed me up in the long run.
I called it a night.
SB wings in progress
Tail kit complete
Old 12-10-2013, 06:15 PM

Last night I clecoed the other wing together and started marking parts with an electric engraver.

Another thing bugging me the other night was what/how much conduit do I need. I spent yesterday researching that along with temp. spray booth options. I got a great tip on the conduit dilemma from a friend with a lot of successful builds under his belt and am going with pex for the conduit.

So pretty much I'm stuck until I can shoot primer. If they don't kill me at work tonight, I'll try to dig up some stuff and get a temp spray booth set up tomorrow.

I'll bet you thought I was going to take that "down the hole pic" didn't you?

Have a great day.

Tom
SB wings in progress
Tail kit complete
Old 12-12-2013, 11:50 PM

Still no spray booth, but I did make enough head way yesterday to get to the next phase of the wing build.
I got the rear spar and all its doublers scuffed up w/ a scotch bright pad, then moved them to the side of the house for alumiprep and alodine.

Not the best temperature to work in. We don't normally get snow on the valley floor here, but last weekend we got a lot of it and with these temps it has hung around for too long now.

Got my supplies ready.

And a most shameful set up for spraying.

But at the end (very end) of the day, I had parts that will be ready to assemble on my next day off.

Hopefully tomorrow.
No more spraying for me until I set up a booth!
Good night.
SB wings in progress
Tail kit complete
Old 12-28-2013, 04:23 PM

Got a few things done on the wings over the last couple weeks. Back in the middle of the month I was able to get the rear spars and doublers riveted together.
[IMG][/IMG]

After moving the wings around on the tables, it struck me that I'll be able to assemble the wings onto the fuse in the garage. At least w/o the engine hanging on it.
[IMG][/IMG]
Hadn't even day dreamed that far ahead yet.
[IMG][/IMG]

Then before calling it a night, I labelled all the ribs with a vibrating pencil. I gave up on the Van's part #'s, and went with a more simple L-1 through L-14 for the left wing and R #'s for the right.
[IMG][/IMG]

After that I spent my time assembling a PVC spray booth. No pictures of that process. I haven't used it yet.
SB wings in progress
Tail kit complete
Old 12-28-2013, 04:58 PM

Some more progress since Christmas day. I needed some spray racks, so out with the wood working tools to knock a couple out.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The weather was my motivation the last couple days. I was able to set my parts outside on the driveway and get them primed. Right wing half way done with the left wing waiting in the garage. Shadow stretch
[IMG][/IMG]

By dinner time last night I had all main ribs for both wings primed. I'm hoping to have them riveted to the front and rear spars in the next couple days followed by a completed wing jig. After that it looks like things progress quickly for a while.

Good day

Tom
SB wings in progress
Tail kit complete