- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:55 AM

Hi Gerry,

AOA is being explored as an option, but I don't have any details about availability or features yet.

Here's a screenshot off the Mini-B (no synthetic vision):

VAF Dues Paid 2021!
Thoughts & opinions expressed here are my own, and not those of my employer.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:52 PM

Thanks Katie!
O-360 A1A, Sensenich FP prop

Those who think any system is foolproof greatly underestimate the ingenuity of fools
Old 12-11-2013, 10:08 PM

Default More questions

Unit looks great. Just have a few more questions about the Mini-X.

1. What drives the heading bug? Manually set to a heading or can input from external handheld GPS flight plan drive it?

2. What do you mean by stand alone GPS Navigator?

3. Can you flip/flop display between indicated air speed, true airspeed and GPS ground speed or will it show all three at same time?

4. By limited Auto-Pilot do you mean it will only control pitch and roll and no altitude change?

5. Nice offer to initially include the Magnetometer with the Mini-X. Any chance offering OAT probe and battery as an alternative to the Magnetometer? Do I need a Magnetometer if I have a compass?

Thanks for your response
1085 hr
2WI6 Stoughton, WI
Formally of Lafayette, IN

Last edited by Frank Smidler : 12-11-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:07 PM

Have ordered a Mini-X and now anxiously await delivery...

Katie - do you have an ETA on the initial cut of installation and operation manuals?

I know I'm not the only customer trying to figure out how to fit this into our existing equipment architecture, so this "how does it work" info is critical (as you've seen from previous questions).

In our case, the Mini-X will be a backup to a Horizon HS. Primary GPS source will be a GNS480 wired to the HS and the TruTrak Vizion autopilot (via a selector switch). Now I'm trying to figure out which GPS to use as an input to the Mini - either RS232 from the GNS480 or RS232 from the portable G396, or the Mini's internal GPS. Knowing how that GPS data can be used by the Mini will greatly influence this decision.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:46 PM

Default More answers...

Hi Guys-- Sorry it took so long to respond to these, I had to double check some facts!

1. What drives the heading bug? Manually set to a heading or can input from external handheld GPS flight plan drive it?
You can do both if you have the external magnetometer option. On the Mini-X, you can use the knob to set the heading bug if you have the magnetometer. Either way, you'll be able to track either the internal or an external GPS flight plan or direct-to.

2. What do you mean by stand alone GPS Navigator? You will be able to enter and track a GPS flight plan using the Mini's own internal GPS, showing a GPS CDI needle, and time/distance/bearing to waypoint.

3. Can you flip/flop display between indicated air speed, true airspeed and GPS ground speed or will it show all three at same time? You'll be able to configure data boxes on the PFD screen to display TAS and groundspeed as supplemental information near the airspeed tape.

4. By limited Auto-Pilot do you mean it will only control pitch and roll and no altitude change? Yes. The Mini-X will have Heading mode (with magnetometer), ENAV (GPS tracking), and Altitude Hold. It will also track a VOR/LOC signal if you have a serial nav receiver connected to it, such as an SL30.

5. Nice offer to initially include the Magnetometer with the Mini-X. Any chance offering OAT probe and battery as an alternative to the Magnetometer? Do I need a Magnetometer if I have a compass? You won't need a magnetometer, but it will add some good functionality to the Mini because it will give you use of the heading bug, and actual heading will be displayed instead of GPS track. To keep it simple I'll say no substitutions, but if you call and talk to Todd, who knows what he'll tell you.
VAF Dues Paid 2021!

Last edited by KatieB : 12-30-2013 at 05:15 PM. Reason: knobs
Old 12-16-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
Have ordered a Mini-X and now anxiously await delivery...

Katie - do you have an ETA on the initial cut of installation and operation manuals?

I know I'm not the only customer trying to figure out how to fit this into our existing equipment architecture, so this "how does it work" info is critical (as you've seen from previous questions).

In our case, the Mini-X will be a backup to a Horizon HS. Primary GPS source will be a GNS480 wired to the HS and the TruTrak Vizion autopilot (via a selector switch). Now I'm trying to figure out which GPS to use as an input to the Mini - either RS232 from the GNS480 or RS232 from the portable G396, or the Mini's internal GPS. Knowing how that GPS data can be used by the Mini will greatly influence this decision.
First of all, thanks for your order!

I've got a long to-do list before Christmas, but the priority right after New Year's is to get the Mini manuals done, starting with the B. If you're familiar with the HS, you're already familiar with the basic GRT EFIS logic. The Mini follows right along with that for both wiring and pilot interface.

I asked Ben about which GPS he'd use in your situation, and here's what he said: "The Mini-X GPS can be used alone for internal flight plans. If you are going to use an outside GPS source to feed the Mini also, then you can connect them via serial port. The 480 and the 396 will supply the same position and flight plan data via the serial connection. If you have the mapping option on the Mini-X, then you would not gain anything by having the external GPS units feed position and navigate on the X, other than the carry-over of flight plans. Out of the two, I'd use the 396, because the only time that you are going to worry about it is when the rest of the electrical system has failed and the only thing you have left is the Mini and 396, running off of their own batteries."

I will add that you might find one device to be easier to enter flight plans than the others, and that might sway your wiring decision as well. Which flight plan interface do you plan to use for everyday flight? GRT HS, the 396, or the 480? If you use the HS alot for flight planning, then the Mini will be a seamless piece of cake to use on its own when everything else goes dark. If you primarily use the Garmins for flight planning, which one will be available if you have an electrical failure? GRT flight planning is not difficult, but it is different from the 480 and the 396. If you can use the device you're most comfortable with to enter the flight plan to be displayed on the Mini, then you'll have an easier time if you need to navigate somewhere without ATC's help.
VAF Dues Paid 2021!
Old 12-18-2013, 11:39 AM

As usual, excellent responses, Katie (and Ben!). Thanks for getting this info posted.

(I still can hardly believe that I'm going from having a Horizon HS surrounded by steam gauges to an HS and a Mini, with sufficient space to upgrade to an 8.4" HX should funds ever become available. There's so much extra space in the panel now!)
Old 12-18-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
(I still can hardly believe that I'm going from having a Horizon HS surrounded by steam gauges to an HS and a Mini
And you've seriously got me thinking of doing the same....! :-)

-Dj
Old 12-18-2013, 01:58 PM

Reading this again I just caught this line...
"On the Mini-X, you can use the left knob to set the heading bug if you have the magnetometer."

Katie - I suspect you meant to say "right knob to set the heading bug"? If the Mini-X has both left and right knobs then I'll spend all day twiddling them! LoL
Old 12-18-2013, 02:02 PM

Dj - please do go right ahead and order that Mini-X. Since your plane is flying I'll be able to learn from your experience and recommendations. Hmmm... maybe I'll even have to drop down to Maine to see it with my own eyes! (Gotta love flying bums who invite themselves over and leave their greasy nose prints and drool on your airplane...)