-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > RV Firewall Forward Section > Traditional Aircraft Engines
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2013, 06:41 PM
fugio ergo sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Flightlines View Post
Kahuna---
Have JB send you the rods! They would look cool on a plaque on the wall in your house!!!!!
Paper weights, Trophies, etc. Yep, unusual, but cool.
Tom
Yep, these sorts of things make nice living room decor items, at least in a bachelor place. This is the incident that made me reluctant to fly at night (O-320 Piper Pacer).

RV-6 N441LP Flying
Old 12-12-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
As I pulled off the ignition wires, I gave them an inspection. They looked ok. A little grease and grime on a few. I own a workhorse, not a beauty queen. I could see one coil to ignition wire connection that showed corrosion and evidence of some arching, hidden by the boot of course. No evidence of any issues on this cylinder.
My top wires have been on since day one. Bottom wires have less. My bottom plug wire lengths are custom lengths. This due to mounting the coils on the engine mount and having each wire, well different lengths.
A call to Klaus revealed that his maintenance schedule, now published in a more current doc version online that I had from years ago, says replace these wires at 500hrs or 10 years. I had not ever considered this before. Hmmm. Well he is a pretty smart guy, so I ordered a new set. My average cost on these is $19.25 each. For 12 plugs this stung a little.

Plugs, I ve been going on the cheap for these using the BR8ES plugs at ~$2 each from day one. These have preformed well and last about 200 hours before they are worn and need replacement. I guess 'performed well' is an unknown. Engine runs, plugs fire and are reliable... I have no idea as to performance. Klaus recommended a fancier plug, a IK27 iridium plug that is a... wait for it... $15 each. Im going to give them a try. Ill have no way of determining any performance difference other than plug life which Ill be able to measure. They will need to last 1500 hours to break even. Thats probably not a reasonable request of any plug.

Why wires need replacement? Im sure there is some electrical reason. I have cars with the original plug wires that are 15 years old and 150k miles. I of course have no way to measure any kind of deterioration of these. My mind says that a plug that fires is a plug and wire that are working. I'm sure its more complicated than that. A wires ability to carry this power surely degrades over time. An appreciable amount? I dunno. I don't race. I dont measure my performance to a nat hair. from Klaus "If you cruise at less than full throttle, you might not notice any wire degradation for a long time. At WOT you should see a performance increase when you change wires, even after 300 hrs." Like I said, Klaus is a pretty smart guy and has been doing this for a long time. So a new set of fancy plugs and wires it is. Seems unethical to install age old plug wires onto a new motor. My thinks my motor might protest.

Note: Picture. The plugs come in the proper packaging. I pulled them out to gap them and prepare for installing into the motor.

I have the Plasma 3 on the left side with IK-27 plugs on the top. I have been flying my airplane since 2007 and have 820 hrs. The first two years I ran the standard plugs. The Plasma 3, because of its long duration spark, eats plugs like there's no tomorrow. I used to have to regap the std plugs at 50 hrs and throw them out at 100. It was very frustrating to have to do this between annuals. I then switched to the IK-27 and I can make it to the annual with about 120 hrs without having to mess with the plugs. I buy the plugs online from the lowest bidder. Last time I bought them from Sparkplugs.com for about $8 ea.

Last year at 700 hrs, I had some frustrating problems with both ignition systems at the same time. I had intermittent misses and even a significant power loss requiring an emergency landing. To make a long story short, I had three different problems. On the mag side, I found a bad Champion massive elect. plug with only about 200 hrs that measured 9000 ohms. This had caused arcing inside the mag. Cleaned up the mag and made appropriate adjustments. Replaced all mag plugs with Tempest. I also found a bad LSE plug wire in the manner Rocket Bob stated. The resistance was all over the place when I wiggled and twisted the wire. I replaced all four. I was going to go to the auto parts store and roll my own, but in the end Klaus' price was very fair. I will definitely be replacing these every 500 hrs. Finally the circuit board on the cover of the Hall effect was replaced and found to have an intermittent problem. I had all these problems despite regular maintenance. I did send in my mag at 500hrs and I'm glad I did as it was showing some signs of minor wear and appropriate parts were replaced.

Jerry Esquenazi
RV-8 N84JE
Old 12-13-2013, 07:50 AM

Default Oil relief grooves

Another upgrade being done is to have 'oil relief grooves' machined into the case at the cam. This is done by ECI. There is very high pressure oil at the cam. These engines have a notorious leak called a 'backbone leak' that these grooves solve. You can see the groove cut into the face of the case.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:00 AM

Default Another upgrade. Positive Cam Jets

This is a very cool upgrade. Much if not most, of the engine wear happens at startup. The cam gets lubed by splash oil only. A little late, but better late than never. What JB does is have ECI machine some holes into the case to an oil galley and then he installed specially engineered jets. Their job is to spray oil onto the cam lobes at startup to improve excessive cam to lobe wear. This upgrade does take a lot of time and effort to do, but worth the effort. The first picture you can see the hole machined into the case. The the others with the jets installed.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:06 AM

Cool details of the upgrades. Nice to see and understand.

Can some of these be done to a typical O-360 as well?

I like the oil leak prevention techniques. Seems so simple it makes you wonder why they were not designed that way all along.
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Project Sold
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Old 12-13-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
Cool details of the upgrades. Nice to see and understand.

Can some of these be done to a typical O-360 as well?

I like the oil leak prevention techniques. Seems so simple it makes you wonder why they were not designed that way all along.
Yes they can all be done. There is nothing special about my 540 setup.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
The case has been given an upgrade. Case has a no leak center dowel pressure conversion. The thru bolts will be floating and the seal will be accomplished by O rings around the dowels

A little more detail on this item. This one is a big deal. Typically your case halves get sealed and pulled together with the thru bolts. Its an interference fit at the bolts. What happens over time is that as the engine wears, the case halves begin to move. This causes 'fretting' (case halves movement with metal to metal contact) and leaks. Mine was doing this and this is very common on Lycomings. Im sure many of you have seen leaks at the thru bolts. During overhaul, after the case gets lapped and line bored by ECI, these dowel pins get installed and become the interference fit and not the bolts. This reduces, if not eliminates, those pesky leaks at the thru bolts and reduces the fretting of the cases. At assembly, the case halves get pulled together and the fit is at the dowels. An important item for the next overhauler to know! Since the case will not just fall apart when you remove the thru bolts.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:57 AM

Default ECI cylinders

The cylinder of choice is the ECI Titan CermiNil? Nickel Bore Cylinders with Tapered Fins and Matched Weight pistons 9.5/1. These cylinders have a number of technological improvements. JB does the assembly of these as they arrive in kit form from ECI in my case.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:03 AM

Default Case assembly

Here is the preparation of the case assembly, otherwise known as the power section.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
This is a very cool upgrade. Much if not most, of the engine wear happens at startup. The cam gets lubed by splash oil only. A little late, but better late than never. What JB does is have ECI machine some holes into the case to an oil galley and then he installed specially engineered jets. ...
Mike, is this essentially the same thing as the "Ney Nozzle"?

- John