Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:10 AM

Default prop

you're going to like that prop!

Simplicity is the art in design.
I was born an airplane nut. I have no explanation for it.
My Artwork is freely given and published and cannot be patented.
www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 11-03-2013, 05:52 AM

Default Oct progress

After moving to the airport early in the month, I seem to be spending MORE time building and getting more accomplished. I like the idea of not having to get everything picked up, moved back into place, and reset every time I work. It also helps to be able to sneak over to the hanger between students and when things are cancelled.

Big events for the month:
- Aft upper skin
- Bottom wing skins
- Engine control interconnects between cockpits

One of my co-workers volunteered his 13 year old daughter to climb into the tail to buck rivets. After a few practice rivets on the bench, away she went. Despite it being relatively cool (50 degrees) outside, a 400W lamp shining inside kept Abby warm ... but nothing a box fan in the cockpit couldn't solve. 3 hours later we were done.

The book recommends having helpers to finishing the bottom wing skins. They are not kidding. I have long arms and was holding the bucking bar while my good friend Jim handled the gun. But I still had to be in a "compromising" and uncomfortable position for 6 hours. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at) the only picture taken was blurry. The finished product is pretty though.

Part of the process of finishing the wings was to finish the canon plugs, VOR/ILS/GS antenna, and nutplates on the wing tips.

While in the wiring mood, I cleaned up the lower right switch panel, also with canon plugs for easy removal.

The big victory this month was completing the engine control cockpit interconnect rods. This has been an engineering puzzle and I finally got around to figuring it out. Vans sells a kit for just the throttle but since I plan on instructing (RV-8A transition, aerobatics, and glass cockpit) I wanted all three engine controls. It took several attempts at the appropriate bends and arrangement but I fit them in and they work great. The mixture control rod has the most significant bends but with a strong steel rod, there are no issues.

The goals are set and the last major item has been ordered (seats). As long as the weather stays somewhat warm I hope to continue making progress. Until next month ...

N-251WM
Garmin G3X/GTN-650/Dynon D6/GTX-23ES/TruTrak GX Pilot/GDL-39
Eagle XTREEM I0-360-B1HD2 (dual P-mags)
Old 11-03-2013, 08:51 AM

Looks Great, Keep it up!
Old 11-30-2013, 04:28 PM

Default Nov progress

Despite the cold weather, things are moving forward. I did find a way to conduct "winter ops". S'mores anyone?

I have installed an Odyssey PC-680 battery in the tail section and using a combination of the standard tray and the Odyssey hold-down kit. I am confident it is not going to move during aerobatic flight.

There are a thousand little details I have finished up this month but pictures would be of little interest. One of those details, however, is heating and ventilation. The plan is to mix hot/cold air and I have installed three controls (cold air, hot air, feet/panel) to make that happen. Now to finish the actual mixing box!

I have started the placard process and for motivation started with the biggest one.

December goals: finishing the electrical system, engine baffles, and cowling.
January goals: canopy and attach the wings.

That is the plan at least ... until it changes.

N-251WM
Old 12-02-2013, 09:50 AM

Looking great!
Dual Garmin G3X Touch w/ GTN-650
Old 12-24-2013, 05:55 AM

Default Anniversary

I looked back throughout my builders log and today is the anniversary of starting the actual build. 2 years and 800 hours later I look back and still can't believe I am doing this. Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement, advise, and assistance.

So an early December update ...

I went the simple route for solving my oil cooler nutplate problem. I only had to trim an 1/8" off one fin on cylinder #4 and now it works like a champ.

From my military flying I know these machines house miles of wire. I should have kept track because my electric airplane seems to have some big bundles (it looks very deceiving from the picture but there is 2 inches of clearance between the bundle and the rudder cable).

One of the down sides of an all electric airplane is that while there is lots of room behind the panel, access to that space is a necessity. I cut an access panel on the left side of the upper skin, riveted a doubler, and will seal the panel to make it water tight. The panel will remain sealed until access is needed.

This has been a crazy fall/winter weather-wise and while I was burning through propane tanks last month to stay warm, on Sunday we hit a record of 81 degrees. I took advantage of the warm weather and cut the canopy.

With the windscreen roll-bar in place ...

And a temp fit of the canopy skirt ...

I have my motivation for the coming months.

Merry Christmas!
N-251WM
Old 02-03-2014, 06:19 AM

Default January '14 Progress

What a difference a month makes. In December it was warm enough to cut the canopy and wear shorts. This past month it has been in the teens and last week we had a 10" snow storm ... a once every other decade event here in Virginia Beach! Needless to say, my goals did not get met for January ... although I did finish my ATP which was probably at the top of this list.

So indoor activities it has been. I posted elsewhere but a project I have been thinking about for a year is how to blend the signals from front and back seat stick switches. Using the KISS principle, an isolate switch and terminal barrier strips made for an easy approach. The box is mounted under the front seat ramp and the switch is easy to flip when seated.

After getting the seats, trying them, then returning to Oregon Aero for covering, I now have seats to put in the aircraft. VERY happy with how they turned out.

As I work through the details, one I almost forgot was the fire extinguisher. This size fit perfectly on the lower right bulkhead. Talking with my inspector, he was relating a recent build where someone had mounted it right behind their head. I am hoping this is a much better place in the event of a sudden deceleration!

On the left side I have finished the fuel selector valve and "HVAC" control panel (fresh air, heat, panel/feet controls).

For the elevator trim motor I am using an environmentally sealed circular connector similar to the lights. Unfortunately, the existing slot and hole to the trim motor is not big enough to accommodate the connector so I had to get creative and used a 3/8" ratchet extension to hold the Unibit. Worked like a champ.

Hopefully this month yields warmer temperatures and progress can be made toward a spring flight.

Strike
N-251WM
Old 02-03-2014, 11:20 AM

Looking good Mike. I like the work on the left and right consoles you've done!

RV-8 - Flying!
RV-9A - sold

Dec 2021 Paid
Old 02-03-2014, 11:49 AM

Default Progress!

Looks Great, Mike. I like the full engine controls in the rear; for instructing. I enjoy watching your quick progress; my 8A is taking forever! Thanks for posting.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:18 AM

Default Feb '14 progress

I think I can all safely say that we are ready for spring! Cold weather is not very conducive to working in the hanger. So while I had grand plans for making progress (and Lord knows I need too since there is an impending move in June), February was a slow month. But like December, last weekend brought 60+ degree weather so I took advantage of it.

The electrical system is 99% done. The side panel is wired and tested. I swapped out the Molex for Anderson Power plugs (the red/black connectors in the photo) and couldn't be happier. These things were very easy to installed and there is no worry about pin alignment.

With the stick mixer installed and D-sub connectors run to both cockpits (so the sticks can be removed easily for inspections and/or no stick in the back seat) it was time to finish the elevator trim connections and test everything.

I do have an issue with the rear seat stick hitting the front seat so I have order a new tube and will be off to get an s-curve bent this week. More to follow.

Brakes installed on the wheels with an extra bit taken out to accommodate the brake movement. This seems to be a common write-up in the forums and shaving a little bit off the bracket seemed to be the consensus.

While the weather may have been warm-ish for the weekend, it is still not warm enough to finish the canopy but that didn't stop me from painting the handle.

The big project this past weekend was the left ramp baffle. There is a big note in the instructions stating the snorkel was designed for a stock Lycoming engine and starter. I have the starter but with a Superior engine I needed to make some modifications to allow clearance for the alternator.

A little bit of fiberglass work ...

And lots of trial fitting ...

I am pleased with the end results. I still have to finish the snorkel attach brackets but the hard work is done.

While this month should bring warmer weather and extra daylight in the evenings (time change already!!!) my daughter is coming out so we can do a week of college tours ... if only the plane was done to make traveling easier.
N-251WM