to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-6/6A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 01:02 PM

Looking good!
Old 10-10-2013, 03:51 PM

Default RV-6 Panel: Critique Request

RV6ators,

I'm just in the process of exchanging ca$h for avionics from Stein. The panel design is nearly finalized, and I am looking for some constructive feedback.

My project is a tip-up RV-6, intended for IFR under Canadian regs. The design is as follows:

Here is a bit of background on my thinking:

1. Canada requires two independent nav systems. A single GNS 430, for example, won't cut it because they consider the screen to be a single point of failure. That's why I opted for a GNS 400W and a separate Com/Nav/ILS;
2. The electrical system will be based upon a Vertical Power VP-X Sport. It's a way-cool system, but it's also a massive single point of failure, so as per VP's recommendations I will use their "Method B" back-up circuit design. The ESS AVIONICS switch will bypass the VP-X to directly power the left PFD, Turn Coordinator, GPS and Nav/Com. (No, I don't think that the transponder should be included in the back-up circuit. If my electrical system dies in IFR I'm mainly interested in knowing where I am myself and shooting an approach. If ATC wants to know, I'll tell them.);
3. The Boost Pump will be wired through the VP-X, but will also have a "direct" circuit when the switch is selected to "EMER". Note that all bypass circuits will be protected by CB's;
4. The power supply will be redundant, in that there is a 55A primary alternator, and a B&C 8A back-up alternator. The left PFD will have a battery;
5. The lower-left push button the panel is a secondary PTT switch, for use when the passenger is flying or when the AP is engaged; and
6. Our Authorities seem to be a bit inconsistent in regard to IFR approvals for homebuilts. Our regs don't require TSO'd avionics, but some of the inspectors are reputed to have refused to approve "all glass" panels. Personally, I think that the dual Skyview, dual alternator design is sufficiently robust for IFR, but to avoid conflict I have also included a mechanical ASI, altimeter and turn coordinator. The choice of TruTrack for the turn coordinator is to obviate against common mode failure of all Dynon equipment due to a remote probability of software malfunction.

I'm mainly looking for feedback on ergonomic or functional boo-boos that I may have overlooked. Thanks,

Rob Erdos
Ottawa
Old 10-14-2013, 06:15 AM

Default Flap switch

Is that a Cessna style electric flap switch ? "Set and forget" angle type ??

Slooow RV6, no hole, builder in UK
Paid up for 2015 ...
Old 10-14-2013, 06:17 AM

Default Flap switch

Is that a Cessna style electric flap switch ? "Set and forget" angle type ??

Slooow RV6, no hole, builder in UK
Paid up for 2015 ...
Old 11-12-2013, 08:17 PM

Default First Flight for N364BT

Finally, fifteen years after I bought the tail kit, she flies!! Got my Airworthy Certificate on Saturday from Adam Valdez (Bakersfield, CA) without any problem other than a few embarrassments over missing cotter pins. My friend, Mike flew her for her first flight yesterday, and today was my turn. Oh boy, words cannot describe it. Lots to do, we want to get her ready for the paint shop on Friday and then, lots and lots of flying. Thanks to everyone on this forum for more support and encouragement than anyone could ever want.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:10 PM

Default Congrats

Bob,

Took me almost 17 years to build mine. Let me guess, did you forget the cotter pins in the main wheel nuts? I did the same thing. Another builder caught it for which I was very greatful. Your plane looks great. Have fun.

John
Old 11-22-2013, 12:38 PM

Default Panel Shot

[IMG][/IMG]

I've been working on my panel... added, autopilot servos, AOA, Gemini PDF and a Garmin 400W. It's a little different, but the Trutrak EFIS (discontinued) and overall panel work well for me. It's amazing to me the info available in the cockpit now compaired to 10 years ago when most of my flying was done. Much safer now. I'm not there yet, but hoping to make an IFR capable plane out of this. Any suggestions?

Last edited by jpowell13 : 11-22-2013 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Added information
Old 11-25-2013, 10:56 AM

Nice looking panel. I have about 100 hours on the TruTrak, you will love it. To bad it is discontinued, it is great to fly behind.
First Flight: April 2013
Hobbs: 400 hours after Oshkosh 2017
www.myrv9.com
Old 11-25-2013, 02:51 PM

Default IFR

Suggestions????
Yes.. it is good that you have the Gemini... that is a good back-up.
But I sense you need dual panel-mounted nav-coms. What about Pitot heat?

also, I am uncomfortable with your throttle quadrant lay out, as it looks like you have a push-pull mixture knob, then carb heat? then by-pass control, all the same type of knobs.... a recipe for disaster! (We often reach for controls by feel, especially when things get busy....

My suggestion is to replace the mixture control with a vernier of the appropriate shape ($$$) and bring the carb heat to the left of the throttle.

Remember, you may not be the only one to ever fly this airplane... and even with familiarity we can grab the wrong knob....
I am all for standard configurations.
Jim Frisbie
RV-9A (IFR)
375 hrs.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:40 PM

Peter and Jim,

Thanks for the input. I've got 100+ hours on my EFIS also and have really enjoyed it. Trutrak is going to upgrade it from an APIII to an APIV for me for a really good price. That will add GPSS steering and the capability to fly coupled approaches.

Jim, I plan to add a heated pitot to the AOA system. Do you think that will suffice? The handheld radio on the left has nav capability and glideslope for backup. I have it connected to a Bob Archer antenna in the left wingtip. I'm planing to add a VAL Nav2000 above the 400W with a separate glideslope indicator where the magnetic compass is.

John