Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 11:15 PM

Default Just a quick room update ....

I understand from the Rockefeller Conference Center that we had 2 rooms open up and were available for a while this afternoon. Not sure if they are still available but you might give them a call. Looks like the WX is going to cooperate and we have a great weekend to look forward to.

Good news is that we think we have filled out the dance card and will have one of every popular RV on the field from the 3 to the 12 including a RV9TD. The bad news is those darn narrow body RV8s are still leading the charge in most numbers with 17, followed by the 7a about 2 back. Now we need a couple three more 7A's (A = Advanced Military Gear) but the 6A's aren't far behind.

See'ya there ....

BillSchlatterer@sbcglobal.net
Dues Paid 5/26/21
Old 10-24-2013, 10:00 AM

Default bug repellant

Hypothetically speaking, what might be a good, somewhat affordable, single malt scotch to help keep the bugs away around the camp fire? There were several really good ones, helping to keep the bugs away , circulating around the fire last year.
Where is Steve and the Sky Terrier?
RV-7A Slider, O-360 A1A, Catto 3 blade, 2 screen Garmin G3X Classic, GTN 650, Bionics APRS. FLYING since June 24, 2009
EAA Chapter 21
Old 10-24-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtech View Post
Hypothetically speaking, what might be a good, somewhat affordable, single malt scotch to help keep the bugs away around the camp fire? There were several really good ones, helping to keep the bugs away , circulating around the fire last year.
Islay Malts: (smoky, heavy peated)
Laphroaig (10 yr Cask Strength, Quarter Cask, 18 yr)
Ardbeg (Uigeadail my favorite)
Caol Ila 12

Highland or Speyside Malts:
Oban 14
Cragganmore 12
Balvenie Doublewood 12
Aberlour 16

Island (other), lightly peated:
Highland Park 12
Talisker 10
Isle of Jura 10 "Origin"

I'll be bringing a bottle of Bourbon instead of Scotch... Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve 9yr 120 proof

Last edited by Neal@F14 : 10-24-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtech View Post
There were several really good ones, helping to keep the bugs away , circulating around the fire last year.
I think that was the refried beans.

Speaking of gas....Pine Bluff is listing 100LL at $4.75 self serve on AirNav.

POSTSCRIPT: I called to confirm the $4.75 price (it's accurate), and if you stop on Saturday, it will be $4.65

Last edited by DanH : 10-24-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:27 PM

Thumbs up KTKX - Kennett, MO $4.71

I'm planning to be wheels up at 0900 Fri. morning and arrive at 1115. Staying at the Lodge Friday night and leaving by 1700 Sat. afternoon.
Web site: http://www.newtech.com/bobbyhester/RVSite.htm
Dec. 2020 VAF donator - alot better than any magazine subscription
Old 10-24-2013, 05:24 PM

Default Scotch

I'll see if I can round up a few bottles for protection. Madi and I are planning wheels up by around 0900 or 1000.

See you all tomorrow!
www.BendixKing.com
TruTrak

RV-4 214NY "Carrie Ann"
RV-10 989TS - undergoing complete overhaul!!!
Always flying someone else's airplane too
EAA - 309420
Old 10-24-2013, 05:48 PM

I've got to work for a few hours tomorrow morning, but should be heading to the airport right about lunchtime, hope to be wheels up by 12:30pm which should put me at KMPJ somewhere around 2:45pm.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:10 PM

Default On the Ramp !!

Well, we just got back from MPJ and I can only say it was drop dead gorgeous! Sun going down, grass freshly mowed, the smell of cut wood, and four deer crossing about the 1500 mark! EAA 165 worked it hard today and we can report the campground is in great shape.

I think the lodge is full again but we can easily handle a couple more in the campground with no trouble. The tent's are set, the firewood is stacked, the hot water is on, the cold drinks are ..... getting cold

Parking conditions are better than any year past and the grass areas are really nice! NO problem at all. WX should be mid 60's and the trails are all open. We were told Cedar Falls had water running but that could be a rumor because we didn't hike it to see!

Parking crew will be there 9:30 to 10:00 and ready to go!

We can't promise anything but a good time... see'ya there!

Dues Paid 5/26/21
Old 10-25-2013, 06:12 PM

Thumbs up It's on like Donkey Kong!

I'll put better pictures in this album in a couple days. In the mean time these will have to do.

https://picasaweb.google.com/bobbyhe...eat=directlink

Weather is great! Got to go eat! Bye!!!
Web site: http://www.newtech.com/bobbyhester/RVSite.htm
Dec. 2020 VAF donator - alot better than any magazine subscription
Old 10-27-2013, 08:18 PM

Default What a gathering :-)

All attendees please jump in and please let us know you made it home safely!

We'll post a full report as soon as we get enough energy to write it up. Bobby posted some great pictures in the earlier post

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=105857 and that only starts to cover it... Friday and Saturday were picture perfect but we did get some weather this morning (Sunday) that was problematic depending on your destination. We had folks coming from 600 miles in all directions so a little of that has to be expected. All in all, it was a hoot! Not sure exactly when this shot was taken but there are 61 RVs on the ramp and two flying.

It's hard to explain just how much fun and how friendly this bunch is. I am sure that anyone who showed up knowing no one, ended up knowing a whole group of new RV buddies. It was fun around the dinner tables Friday with 12 round tops seating 10 each and never a dull moment. From the Football Toss in the Bar to the Formation Presentation which turned into Tail Number Bingo and then old time Rock and Roll with Randy Mason, there wasn't a minute that wasn't all about friends and having fun. On Saturday night, there was so much noise coming from around the campground fires, it sounded like a 5X oversize RV Tailgate ! After the BBQ at the campground, the Lodgers picked up again at the Presidents Lodge. The laughter and talk got loud but not rowdy.... except for that crew on the karoke machine... I'm not speaking for them

So, long story short, here are some bullets:
  • There were 54 RVs on the ramp Friday night, plus four other "big wheels" :-)
  • We had a total of 102 airplanes come through with 83 RVs in attendance.
  • Their were 58 rooms booked at the Conference Center and we had 22 tents in the campground Saturday night!
  • There were RV Petit Jean'ers from 17 states! AL, AR, CO, FL, GA, IA, IL, IN, IO, KY, LA, MI, MS, OK, SC,TN, and last but most out of state folks from TX !
  • The darn "narrow body" RV8s managed to hold the type lead with 20+ followed closely by 7a's, and then 6a's ..... one RV3 on Saturday filled out every available make and model including a RV9 TD (that's you Buz)
  • We had several really nice formation flights to entertain the crowd and lots of loud and fast "missed approaches"
  • We served 121 at the Rockefeller Stockyard on Friday night with a great video presentation on the Kansas City 49 ship flight. We had video from startup to finish and from inside the actual formation flight. Courtesy of Randall Warren, special thanks to Randall.
  • 170 folks joined us on the ramp for lunch Saturday while we watched several more really nice formation flights by the MidSouthRV and Falcon Flight members.
  • Saturday dinner was in the woods at the campground with full BBQ, Ribs, and fixings for 127. I think everyone thought they were pretty tasty!
  • After dinner Saturday, the campground was going strong with roaring ( and I mean roaring) fires, that were apparently fueled with "non-visible" 100LL We started Friday with a full truckload of firewood from Don Moore EAA Hot Springs and there wasn't a stick left this morning :
  • It rained Sunday morning and ceilings were a little low. All but three were able to get out by mid-day and we hope everyone is at home by now!
  • We had more volunteers from the participants than we could coordinate. Thanks so much for all your help! Next year, we'll have a better plan but thanks again for all your help!

We'll post pictures later this week but please post your own. We didn't get to shoot as much as we would have liked so we hope you did!

All in all, the PJ RV Gathering was everything we could have wanted it to be and maybe a little more. If you had a good time, met a new friend, found an old friend, or just enjoyed an "easy" fly-in with your spouse or buddy... then it's mission accomplished.

On behalf of EAA 165 North Little Rock, EAA Hot Springs, and the MidSouthRVator group ..... thanks for coming to the PJ RV Gathering !

Special thanks to:
  • Jerry (Homie) Homsley - AirBoss extraordinaire ! Talking to folks over 70 miles out with our new StarWars Laser Radio (ps being under than antenna for two days means no more children for Homie :-)
  • Cooking Crew - Larry Watson, Phil Seamens, and Mac Bryson
  • AC Parking - Presley Melton, Randal Warren, and other MSRV guys!
  • Registraton - Richard and AnnaLynn Gulley, Sherri and Tony Nation
  • Transport - Vic Larocca and numerous volunteers
  • Firewood - Don Moore and Bruce Hood from EAA Hot Springs
  • Grounds and Campground - Andy Kitchens and Vic again with 4 hours each on a riding mower for taxiways and cleaning up the campground.
  • LOTs of others

Dues Paid 5/26/21

Last edited by BillSchlatterer : 10-27-2013 at 09:18 PM.