Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2012, 11:40 AM

Default Our 1st Graduates at IFS!!!

We are estatic here in San Diego. All five of our students successfully completed IFS and are headed for Undergraduate Pilot Training (UPT). Jeff is correct, depending on the time of year, it is difficult to find good crosswinds for landing practice. However, our training is spread out over 13 sorties involving seven different aircraft types so in preparation for IFS our primary emphasis is to develop strong pitch and power fundementals.

For those of you who live near an ROTC university and would like to consider starting such a program PM me and I would be pleased to share with you our training materials and to talk with you. We are simply a gaggle of San Diego area based pilots, loosely organized, and willing to share our time, equipment, and aircraft with our future military aviators.

Regards,
Tom

Oh yes! I must extend a deeply appreciated thanks to "dr" and the moderators for allowing this thread to survive...although perhaps someday these fine young aviators will become RV owners.

Gentlemen,

I have just completed IFS here at Pueblo, Co. I wanted to offer you my sincerest thanks for allowing me the opportunity to receive such great training and a wealth of knowledge. Most importantly, what you're teaching us as Cadets and Second Lieutenants works. I cannot tell you enough how many times I utilized pitch and power, forward slips, and most importantly making spot on landings while I was here. All of these taught to me before I even arrived and it made my time here much more manageable.

Winds are a major factor here and I know how hard it is to get good crosswind landings in San Diego but I feel if you have the opportunity one day to get some, they definitely should be taught. We can crab the aircraft all the way in until were in ground effect and we have to side slip it into the touchdown. I also want to go ahead and tell you that Lts Oehmke, Marco, and Leong all checked today and will be heading to their respective homes tomorrow.

If you want to know anything more please feel free to contact me. T-6s here I come!
-

Very Respectfully,
Jeffrey A. Martin, Second Lieutenant, USAF

[IMG][/IMG]
Dues contributor since 2007

Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself...Anonymous
Old 05-05-2013, 09:13 AM

Default Mentorship after Eagle's Nest

WRT the incredible success of the Eagles Nest Projects being conducted across the country I would like to comment on a possible mentoring pathway for those graduating students (future RV builders / owners) now inspired to pursue a career in aviation. I would suggest that they be guided to consider a career in military aviation through attending an Air Force ROTC program offered through participating colleges and universities. Of course other pathways to the military cockpit include the U.S. Air Force Academy, Officer Candidate School (attended after college graduation), or through direct hire by an Air Force Reserve or National Guard unit.

I don’t mean to exclude other pathways in military aviation such as through Army, Navy, Marine, or U.S. Coast Guard programs, however I am directly familiar with the Air Force programs.

Air Force ROTC is a great way for the graduating Eagle’s Nest student to get trained and paid to fly a high tech aircraft while serving our country. In addition, with a major technical degree area of study, there is a high probability that the student may qualify for a full or at least a partial academic scholarship. Also, during the final two years preceding the completion of the undergraduate or graduate degree, the Air Force will offer a $500 per month stipend.

If anyone would like more information about the options available through AFROTC please send me a PM and I’ll put you in contact with the current Commander at San Diego State University (one of the largest detachments in the nation).

As a side note, through our local San Diego pilot group mentorship program, to assist graduating AFROTC cadets in preparation for pilot training, we are pleased to announce that our 10th student has successfully completed the USAF Initial Flight Screening program and is now headed to start Joint Undergraduate Pilot Training at Vance, AFB, OK.

For those of you that may be interested in starting a similar program at a school near you, please send me a PM for more information. UCLA is interested in such a program...any takers out there?

Introducing our 10th graduate:

[IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself...Anonymous

Last edited by TomVal : 05-05-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:41 PM

Default Virtual Flight Academy - Week One, Day Three

Navy Sea Cadets and Junior Army ROTC Cadets from Kearny High School, San Diego, are participating in a two week Aviation Camp at the school. This is a test run of Flack's Virtual Flight Academy in action. The cadets attend a daily two hour ground school then head for the sims to practice what they learned. Photos of today's event are posted below.

On Monday, an instructor from NAS Pensacola conducted the training over the internet. Unfortunately, for today, we had to conduct the training the old fashion way, one-on-one.

Ground School:

Sim Station:

Students with Instructors:

Flack's goal is to find that potential young aviator out there and channel that person's interest into a military aviation career. The public announcement of the program will be held at the Air Force Association Convention in September. He is looking for sponsor funding (hopefully supported by the DoD). If successful, the program will be expanded to select schools and organizations throughout the country.

Today we had instructors represented from 3 of the military services participating with the students. Hopefully some of you will join the mentoring team.

Regards,

Last edited by TomVal : 08-08-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:20 AM

Default Youth in Aviation Events Last Saturday

Air Group One - San Diego of the Commemorative Air Force hosted two youth in aviation events on Saturday.

Women in Aviation

http://www.kusi.com/video?clipId=9434173&autostart=true

This event was held at our facilities but sponsored by the San Diego Ladies Chapter of the Women in Aviation.

AFROTC PPL Ground School

Class is being conducted at a nearby classroom facility made available to us by GKN Aerospace. We have 16 cadets attending the class from the San Diego State AFROTC program. The cadets attending are in their sophomore through senior year at the University.

Five cadets (now newly minted 2/Lts) of the recently graduated class of 2013 have completed their introductory flight training with us and are now awaiting their USAF flight school start dates.

All are potential RV owners.

BTW...Check out the AG-1 website...great air show photos http://ag1caf.org

Last edited by TomVal : 10-22-2013 at 01:03 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:02 AM

Our ROTC Cadet Pilot Indoctrination Program in San Diego is continuing to expand. Along with the AFROTC cadets, we now have the NROTC Battalion from the University of San Diego entering our program. Next year we hope to include the Army aviation cadets.

Tomorrow, at Summerville Airport, SC (KDYB) we are having a gaggle of high school students visiting for an airport day. Last year four of these students, sponsored by KDYB pilot Jim Krakel, attended the EAA Aviation Summer Camp program. Looking forward to spending the day with these potential aviators.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:29 AM

Tom,

Good to hear you are still pushing this, and it looks like the results are excellent. We, too, are still encouraging kids to enter aviation as a career, and have had several get their licenses. We will have three Eagle's Nest RV-12s at S 'n F (flying in the Team Aerodynamix formation) and also at Oshkosh. I hope to see you, and some of these students, there. Let us know if there are opportunities to work together.

Bob Kelly
Founder, ENP
President, AviationNation, Inc
RV-9A N908BL, Flying
Old 01-08-2015, 09:45 PM

Default Starting Year Five...

Today we have pilot select candidates attending our program from both the Navy and Air Force ROTC programs at San Diego State University and the University of San Diego. Our program also reached a technical milestone today. We were able to remotely link an ex-Navy instructor in Texas and put him in the back seat of our student flying a T-6 out of Whiting Field.

Today's mission was a local orientation flight for ENS Crouch with the instructor flying most of the profile. Crouch was introduced to the Whiting Field course rules, to include training areas and auxiliary training fields. ENS Crouch reports to NAVY IFS on 9 Feb.

We are also teaching Air Force pilot select candidates local IFS procedures utilized at Pueblo, CO. I am working with two Air Force 2Lt's on Tuesdays and Thursdays with each scheduled for a 3 hour sim session. Both students will report to Air Force IFS (recently changed to IFT - Initial Flight Training) on 27 Feb.

So far, 100% of our graduates have also successfully completed IFS.

Photos of Crouch's session follow:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by TomVal : 01-09-2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:39 AM

Thumbs up Great Sim Training Results...

Earlier this year we began incorporating the use of high-end desktop three screen simulators to augment our cadet training program. We have had access to the simulator lab at Kearny High School where they have expanded their program from five to now seven simulator stations.

The simulators are custom built by Jetline Systems out of Lutz, FL.

http://jetlinesystems.com

We are using these simulators to introduce USAF and Navy ROTC pilot select candidates to their respective services initial flight screening programs.

Our first two USAF graduates recently completed the USAF Initial Flight Training program conducted at Pueblo, CO. For pilot select candidates, the USAF program runs approximately six weeks. Both of our students completed the program two weeks ahead of their peers, a class in which four students had busted out. We are encouraged by the results and have decided to develop a similar program for the Air Force T-6A and Navy T-6B programs.

Anyone in the San Diego area that would like to participate in this rewarding mentorship opportunity, please send me a PM.

Below are some photos of our T-6A and B simulator cockpit models.

Navy T-6B
[IMG][/IMG]

Air Force T-6A
[IMG][/IMG]

T-6A on Initial for 35C at Vance AFB
[IMG][/IMG]

Our most recent graduate with her dad and mister ugly on the right.
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by TomVal : 06-14-2015 at 07:03 PM.