Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Education > Formation Flying
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2013, 07:08 PM

Default Very Impressive!

Proud of you guys. I'm impressed by your hard work and dedication. Wish I could have been there to see it.
[I]Owner of Wild Blue Innovations[/i]
Old 10-14-2013, 07:10 PM

Congratulations to everyone involved, very impressive. Brent Taylor of the Antique Airplane Association posted the following today:

"Americans historically and by nature have always found a way to overcome adversity. Yesterday in KC, at Arrowhead Stadium, that can do American spirit was on full display. Not able to call on our military for flyovers of events, due to budget battles and politics, a group of civilian pilots put together the largest formation flyover (49 aircraft) of any sporting event in history. Add to that the fact, these were aircraft constructed from kits (RV's) by individuals in their workshops, hangars and garages makes this even more impressive. But wait there's more !! All the aircraft trailed pink smoke as they flew over as part of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. To all who were involved in making this happen........Well done, very well done indeed !!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VImNBuJW3sQ"
Sedona, AZ
Old 10-14-2013, 08:00 PM

Default Awesome!

Great job everyone! That's getting RVs on the map in a big way!
RV-8 'Contrary Mary' flying
N784DE S/N #82614

www.fixedwingbuddha.com
Follow me on Facebook
Old 10-14-2013, 08:09 PM

Default 49 ship flyover

Greeting to all RVers,

I was lucky enough to be in this awesome formation. Before I go any further you all have to know about 3 guys: Phil Lamb (Ripper), Richard White (Maverick) and our fearless flight lead Bill Gill (BeeGee). If it wasn't for these guys this would have never happened.

I first heard about these guys and the KC Flight group last year when they did the Kansas City Chiefs Breast Cancer Awareness flight. Since my wife is a breast cancer survivor I knew I had to get involved. If any of you have been around cancer it is not a pleasant experience for the affected person but it is pretty emotionally hard on family as well. It is a gut wrenching experience and makes you very thankful of every minute we have with loved ones. To be a part of something this cool is hard to describe. My wife was there at the stadium and when she saw us fly over she said " When I saw you all overhead it was very emotional for me I couldn't help it, I teared up". I wore a pink hat on the flight and presented it to her at the game (hey, I even got a HUGE bear hug- thought she was gonna break a rib).

The whole focus of this massive amount of logistics, expense, and personal commitment was to raise awareness of be breast cancer and I think we accomplished that. The last figure I heard was $30,000 raised for the local cancer hospital. During the actual flyover brief one of the guys punched the numbers on a calculator and came up with (pardon me if I don't get it exact) 9,310 horsepower with a fuel burn of 354 gph.

On a side note, I had 3 HD wide angle cameras in the cockpit with audio and it will take some time to edit everything but will post something as soon as I can.

Thanks also to our chase plane/coach Tom McNerny for getting everyone in position. There's lots of videos on the net but I think his is really cool and I took the time to shake his hand after we got back (his link is here on the forum).

http://youtu.be/G_p-R2i13HU

Finally, thanks to Van for designing such an incredible airplane, thanks to Doug Reeves for such an awesome website and community gathering place and most of all to the KC Flight guys. To hit a Zero second deviation Time Over Target (TOT) by BeeGee (our flight lead) just at the last note of the National Anthem was truly an incredible feat.

My personal thanks to all the KC guys, I will be back next year.

Oly
Old 10-14-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelf View Post
How do they do the wing tip smoke generation?
The Smoke is from Smoke Canisters. (120 second smoke generator) They are the same ones that Julie Clark use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre smith View Post
How are the smoke canisters activated?

Thanks,
The Smoke Canister ignition is wired in parallel with the Nav Lights on each wing tip. 22 AWG wire is added in the wing tip (on most airplanes) and a Cannon D female contact is added on the end of each wire. (+12 V and Ground) 3 or 4 layers of heat sleaving is added over each contact and then one piece of heat sleaving is added over both. The contact assembly is then installed reaccessed in the trailing edge of the wingtip (on most of the aircraft) with epoxy and glass balloons or chopped cotton fiber. By pushing the aileron up (or down) on can access the contacts to insert the ignition wire. Flight Lead will call "Nav Lights On" and the smoke starts. Lead then calls "Nav Lights Off" just to make sure that we do not blow a fuse or trip the nav CB.

Hope this answers the questions. I hope this post does not have any "KC Flight" Propriety info in it.
3,400+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:35 PM

To all involved: an absolute masterpiece!

Thanks for putting this together -
Old 10-15-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV6_flyer View Post
They are the same ones that Julie Clark use.

Hope this answers the questions. I hope this post does not have any "KC Flight" Propriety info in it.
These are used by many performers from many many years back. They are commercially available canisters. There is nothing special about them. You can get them in all shapes and sizes. For some performers, these canisters take many hours to load one plane for one performance and they are not cheap.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
These are used by many performers from many many years back. They are commercially available canisters. There is nothing special about them. You can get them in all shapes and sizes. For some performers, these canisters take many hours to load one plane for one performance and they are not cheap.
Manfred Radius uses these for his "sparkling" night show and for his wingtip smoke day show:

Old 10-15-2013, 09:16 AM

Default a good service to the community

the non-aviation people I've shown this event say it makes a positive impression on them. good job!

Simplicity is the art in design.
I was born an airplane nut. I have no explanation for it.
My Artwork is freely given and published and cannot be patented.
www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 10-15-2013, 11:22 AM

Default Awesome

Very impressive team!
Will you be repeating this feat this Sunday (Chiefs vs Texans) at Arrowhead Stadium?

Selfishly hope so as I will be in attendance.

Pat Garboden
RV9A N942PT
Katy, TX
Flying phase I.