-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:03 PM

I like your space! I would second the idea of more lights (you can never have too much) and other suggestions made here. I would get some inexpensive particleboard for tops to your workbenches, with the overhang for clamping. It makes a perfect, smooth, flat work surface, and it's easy to replace when it's drilled full of holes and worn.

I also think if I were you, I'd consider finishing the sheetrock on the wall where your plastic is hanging, paint it a bright white. It will brighten it up your shop even more. And at the same time, you can make a holder of some kind for your drawings. Something as simple as thumbtacks, or several little spring clips to hold your drawings up in front of you. You'll be spending a lot of time studying your drawings. Put them at eye level, well-lit, and make it easy. Most of the mistakes I made came from not spending enough time looking at the drawing. It's time well spent.

I also like the idea of building your fuselage to the point of disassembly before final riveting. Now the only thing you'll have to figure out is where you're going to prime and paint things. I'm sure you don't want the fumes in there, wafting up into your living space and irritating your other half. Not to mention the health hazards. So you'll be doing a lot of up-and-down the stairs with parts in hand, before and after priming. I painted a lot of my stuff outdoors. But overall, it's still worth it! You have a great workplace.
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
Old 08-28-2013, 03:16 PM

You mention the noise of the compressor but much worse is the dimpling if you are using a C-frame. Drove my neighbor nuts. You will either want to use a DRDT or do the dimpling during normal hours.
Catto three blade prop
http://www.mykitlog.com/MarkW
Old 08-28-2013, 03:46 PM

Don't skimp on the lighting. I'd go for (and did) the high output flourescent form Lowe's. Initially a bit more expensive but will save having to buy several parts after you misdrill due to poor lighting.

Like the others have said...stay in the basement for as long as possible. I think most agree that you can stay there up until you start final assembly of the fuse skins.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 09-09-2013, 11:13 PM

Default New Lights!

I took everyone's advice and beefed up the lighting in my workshop. It made a huge difference! Thanks to everyone for the good ideas.

Next up, time to build the toolbox.

rv7garage.com
Website name doesn't match my airplane, long story...
Old 09-16-2013, 11:38 PM

Default Pegboard

I'm still working on my toolbox practice kit and rounding up tools. I thought I'd post a picture of the pegboard I put up over the weekend. Bruce had the idea for hanging sheetrock since its nice and white and would make it easy to read plans hanging on the wall. I figured white pegboard would do the same thing, but also free up some shelf space since I could hang up my tools.

rv7garage.com
Old 09-17-2013, 07:19 AM

Default wall cover

Joe, I have (2) 4 ft.x 8 ft.x 2 inch thick sheets of foam on one wall. Blue or pink not the white crumbly stuff. We then use 2in. long "T" pins from office supply house to hang parts on. You can hang some pretty heavy parts with multiple pins. It also is a good sound damper and the parts are insight all the time. Ron
Old 09-17-2013, 08:13 AM

We all love a neat and organized shop. I set mine up nice and purty too but have come to realize that even the simplest tasks sometimes will require just about every tool you have on the wall and they will be strewn about the shop in no time! :

Have fun!

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 09-17-2013, 12:12 PM

No beer fridge?
Lake Norman Airpark - 14A
Old 09-30-2013, 11:25 PM

Default Vertical Stabilizer

I finished up the practice kit last week and started on the "advanced practice kit" better known as the empennage.

Things are going good so far. Tonight I cleco'd together the vertical stabilizer, its pretty fun to start seeing something that looks like it belongs on an airplane.

rv7garage.com
Old 10-11-2013, 12:25 AM

Default Vertical Stabilizer Complete!

Finished my vertical stabilizer tonight! Woohoo!

Step 1 complete, 99999 to go!
rv7garage.com