-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:34 PM

Very sad news. My heart goes out to his family and friends. I only met Tony once, but I followed his posts on VAF, especially Ask A Controller.

Fare winds and following seas.
papalimabravo.com
SEMPER FIDELIS
Dues exempt
Old 09-25-2013, 09:26 AM

My deepest condolences to Tony’s family and friends.
Vlad, I cannot offer any useful words other than you are welcome to visit all of us at KPTW to raise a bottle in Tony’s memory.

I only met Tony a few times and never really had much opportunity to delve into a single serious conversation. Mainly because everyone was too busy laughing, joking, and pulling one another’s chains. For those who never met the guy, this is probably the best way to remember him; a well-rounded, funny guy who accepted folks immediately and with a smile. An American version of Vlad.

These events hit us all differently. It reminds me a lot of my racing career and as such, maybe a few words will be helpful to some. We’d lose people, or see them maimed, and the effects were both devastating and predictable. Some would walk away from the sport. Others would climb back onto their bikes, shaken, but determine to face their demons and carry on. To those who think twice about their life choices after events like this, I have this to offer; As pointed out earlier, life is harsh and unfair. The way you face this determines whether you go through life cowering in fear, avoiding all risk and missing out on the great experiences in life, or bravely facing them with what we called a calculating eye toward risk. I didn’t know Tony all that well, or my friend Tommy, who died in a CJ-6 a several months ago. But I could tell one thing about them. Neither would have been happy dying by slipping on a wet tile in a bathroom. Both shared an obvious gusto for life and were LIVING it.

It’s really all that any of us can do.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:35 AM

Tony on the left at Sky Manor, right after receiving an award.
[IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...84/AWARDS2.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-25-2013, 11:21 AM

After 20 years in aviation, and more so in the military, events like this have never gotten easier. We mourn the loss of friends, but what has always ripped my heart out are the spouses who have lost their mate, the parents that have lost their kids, and most importantly the kids who have lost their father or mother.

While we remember Tony (his work shop pictures made me decide I needed a beer fridge too, I'll miss his build updates), let us pray for his family and if you have the means or ability, support them however you can.
RV-7, SOLD
Old 09-25-2013, 06:48 PM

Very sad day.
I have heard it said many times that, we here at VAF are a family, but it has just truly sunk in that we are. There is no other way to explain my sadness.

Speechless and truly sorry for the lost to his family.

I will miss his posts and insight.
Houston
Old 09-26-2013, 11:02 AM

Default Be ready...

I sold Tony a tail-wheel recently for a project he was working on and really enjoyed chatting with him. Yes, he will be missed but thanks to many, not forgotten.

I have lost many of friends in Forty-plus years of aviation and in just about every aspect of flying including Combat. I've been to countless funerals and missing man fly-bys and stood next to pregnant widows, grieving families and children. It never gets any easier but it constantly reminds us that our time here is short and the need to be ready for eternity.

I'm ready, RU?

V/R
Smokey
www.iamanet.org

Last edited by smokyray : 09-26-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:55 AM

Smile Thank you

Thank you all for all of the kind words and funny stories and shared experiences. Tony loved this forum and all of you. He lived, ate and breathed airplanes. One of Tony's friends said to me last night that "Tony lived the dash (1970 - 2013). I think that's totally true. He was bigger than life, always had a smile and quick wit. I plan to stay on here and check out what you all have to say - sadly I have no ATC advice to offer.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 09-27-2013, 07:13 AM

Default So sorry

Amy, I am so sorry for your loss. My prayers
go out to you and your family. I met Tony recently
on a fly in trip to Nova Scotia. Tony gave me the name
"Token Al" short for the token liberal. Also "lumberjack" for snoring
so loudly in the bunk house and keeping him awake
all night, only to get some sleep by putting on his headset.

I did not know him well, but really enjoyed his humor, jokes
and his passion for building and flying. We all did, as well as the kind folks we visited. I remember well his almost constant easy smile. I will always remember
this trip, the great flying and exploring Nova Scotia. Tony absolutely was excited and blissful. His love for flying completely showed.

So sorry Amy.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkatc View Post
One of Tony's friends said to me last night that "Tony lived the dash (1970 - 2013). I think that's totally true. He was bigger than life, always had a smile and quick wit. .
Amy,

Some people are somehow able to live 90 years of life in 43 years. What a blessing to be able to experience that...
Old 09-27-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokyray View Post

I'm ready, RU?

V/R
Smokey
www.iamanet.org
Am I imagining things or did some responses to this question disappear?

VAF Donations Made 8/2019 and 12/2019
"Cum omni alio deficiente, ludere mortuis."
(When all else fails, play dead.)