Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Activity Specific > Trip Write-ups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 04:14 PM

I'm a HUGE Bacardi fan but my liver can only take so much. Day after day of drunken debauchery has worn us thin. Time to go home.

Back in Fort Worth, Walt went over the laundry list of minor squawks he found on my Tweety bird. He fixed them all and even replaced my fuel pump gasket on the back side of the engine that was leaking oil. I was told that is a PITA of a job, Walt handled it as if it were routine. I know Walt is a bit more anal than most but that's why I went to him. I assume more than my fair share of risk in that plane and I want it to be as sound as possible. Here is the guru's office... He has all the right tools and equipment.

I took the Tweety up for a qucik safety check before loading it up with the boss and luggage. On my taxi in I saw an aircraft base to final and noted how perfect the approach looked. One long sprial down to the runway was just so enjoyable to watch. I thought to myself that it looked PERFECT. As it approached I realized it was an -8 and since I'm building one I was particularly interested in the flare. Again it was perfect. I recognized the aircraft as it passed me by. The "Beautiful Doll" and legendary Danny King. Wish I had more time to go visit.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 03-20-2013, 04:19 PM

I can't help myself ... "Austin is not Texas" ... ahhh. Now I feel better

... and never watch my landings. I'm no "Danny King".

Last edited by humptybump : 03-20-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:39 PM

Default Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by humptybump View Post
I can't help myself ... "Austin is not Texas" ... ahhh. Now I feel better

... and never watch my landings. I'm no "Danny King".
I agree! In my crusade to cram 4 years of college into 35, I spent two years in Austin at the University of Texas finishing my degree! Great place though.

Tony; did you get a bumper sticker that says "Keep Austin Wierd" ???
"Bucket List" checkoff in progress!
Old 03-20-2013, 05:00 PM

No bumper stickers but I saw plenty of shirts!

So by now it's midday and we planned a leisurely trip home. A quick trip to KSWI for cheap fuel and then on to KDVK Danville, Kentucky again. No intermediate stops because we expected a healthy tailwind and shorter than expected flight time. KDVK is about halfway home and we are racing away from the sun. Best to just stop there for the night and relax.

We noticed a healthy fire in the small mountains of Texas. Looked pretty big and the winds weren't helping.

It was peaceful up at 9500' with a 35+ tailwind. We were averaging 185kts and if we pressed on would be home just east of Philadelphia in under 6.5 hours.

We landed at KDVK and had about 2 hours of daylight left. At those speeds I could be in Frederick, MD before dark and on the east side of the Allegheny Mountains. A preferred spot to be as weather usually sticks to the west side of the mountain range. So off we go...beautiful weather as far as you can see. Well, that didn't last forever.

As we approach the mountains it started getting scuddy.

I was 12 miles from our alternate stop in Martinsburg. I opted for KMRB because of increasing weather and darkness. We were doing 225kts now but it wasn't enough to beat the sun. I was FORCED to turn around. As we went over the mountain range I made a mental note of options and clear weather airports. One was Elkins, WV (KEKN) the other was W99, Grant County. As I turned around, I realized how strong that tailwind was....we were now only doing 97kts over the ground. 11 minutes to W99 and 30 minutes to EKN. I circled W99 as we flew over the broken ceiling trying to spot the runway with pilot controlled lighting. No dice and I was NOT willing to dive into that mountainous valley to take a closer look. On we go to EKN. EKN was no picnic either but the town was lit up quite nice and down into the muck we went. We found the runway and landed in darkness. Rememember what I said about taking the plane to Walt for inspection and the assumed risks I took...

So we're on the ground calling local hotels when a car approaches. It was a local aviator surprised anyone would land on this dark night. He offered up a ride into town which we gratefully accepted.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)

Last edited by tkatc : 03-20-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:14 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Texas chili is not the only one without beans---------any REAL chili is bean free

Lots of folks also claim real chili doesnt have any tomato either.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...con-carne.html

http://www.food.com/recipeprint.do?rid=123316

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."

Last edited by Mike S : 03-20-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:47 PM

The next morning we got a call from the FBO who did some spy work to find me. He wanted to know my intentions and if I needed anything. The forecast the night before said there was a chance to escape between 8-11am but that didnt happen. I got a ride to the airport to find this scene.

At least they have a cool crew car!!

But obviously I wasn't going anywhere and the forecast only called for more of the same for the next 5 days.

This is what the previous days trip looked like. Notice the backtracking over West Virginia.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 03-20-2013, 07:59 PM

My house was 6+ hours away by car through a snowy mountain pass. There were no rental cars available (on this Sunday) but I finally got a hold of my brother who agreed to come pick us up. It would have been 12-14 hours of driving for him. It was not going to be a fun day. St. Patrick's day? Luck of the Irish? Not a chance.

Our luck changed when the generous aviator from the night before also called our hotel room and explained he worked in Baltimore and was leaving at 4pm if we were interested in a ride. He could get us to Baltimore and my brother would only have to drive 2 hours each way. Much better and we could leave earlier and avoid the worsening weather through the snowy pass. This guy was a 60 yo Cardinal owner who felt he was paying back to his fellow aviators. I wonder how many people would be so generous to offer a couple of strangers a 4 hour ride. I think I would for a stranded aviator but I wondered if this guy and I were the exception...

He knew the mountain roads like the back of his hand. He referred to us as "Flat-landers" and he scoffed at slower drivers as he passed them on icy, windy, mountainous turns. I thought scud running was dangerous!!

He tried to point out several scenic areas but the weather wouldn't let us see anything.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)
Old 03-20-2013, 08:04 PM

I couldn't thank this good samaritan enough. I'll have to pay him a visit when I return. The weather of course turned out great the day after we got a ride home but has been on and off miserable since. Saturday's forecast looks promising and my luxury ride shown below will wisp me back to pick up Tweety.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)

Last edited by tkatc : 03-20-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:04 PM

Default Philadelphia to Austin's SXSW music festiva

That looks like it was an awesome trip. It is amazing how far you can travel with these birds

BTW are you still planning on building the 14?

Juan
Old 03-20-2013, 09:10 PM

Juan, my cousin told me all about you. I'm building an -8, you are supposed to help me smash some rivets! You can build the -14!

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)