-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:02 AM

Most don't realize how fortunate you are to have a choice. Down here there are no DAR's and no FAA that will inspect (FSDO is over 250 miles away). I am actually considering flying without an airworthiness cert because of that. I did have a quote of $2100 from a DAR way up in the north country, that is simply not going to happen. If the FAA wants it, they should provide it with our taxpayer money. I have spoken at length about this to the FSDO and the EAA, neither seem very concerned about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgamble View Post
I had heard that too, amongst other warnings, but I had 600 reasons (the $600 cost of a DAR) to give them a chance. I found them to be fair and professional throughout the entire experience, although they did mention that at times their other work made it difficult to find the time to do home builder certifications. They don't like saying no, but these are a relatively low priority to them. I understand that completely - my own job is similar to theirs in that aspect.

They were very impressed with the quality of the Van's kit and seemed quite interested in the peculiarities of the RV-12. They didn't think much of the frigid cold of the hangar, though, and for that I cannot fault them. I've spent the last four years building up a tolerance to the cold (and iocane powder -- anyone get that?) so it didn't bother me as much.
RV12 built and flying
Old 01-27-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgamble View Post
I've spent the last four years building up a tolerance to the cold (and iocane powder -- anyone get that?) so it didn't bother me as much.
"You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia' - but only
slightly less well-known is this: "Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line
"

Those cold days building will be quickly forgotten when the warm weather arrives and you are flying.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:10 PM

Dave - congratulations and glad both you and the FAA stuck in there !

BTW: I really like the full backdrop from your blog !
Old 01-30-2013, 09:01 PM

Default My RV-12 is in pieces.

Happily, the pieces are getting bigger.

First major milestone: four months / 197.0 hours build time. Will hold off on mounting the tail surfaces and installing fairings until later in the build. Rudder and ASTs are on shelves, out of frame.
Wings are next...kit is on the floor, waiting.
Note: I don't always work in full dress uniform - thought this occasion was special enough for it.
Emp/TC done; Wings done; Fuse kit done

"Keep flying. Malcolm Reynolds
Paid up until Aug 2022
Old 01-31-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XOverZero View Post
First major milestone: four months / 197.0 hours build time. Will hold off on mounting the tail surfaces and installing fairings until later in the build. Rudder and ASTs are on shelves, out of frame.
Wings are next...kit is on the floor, waiting.
Great milestone! Brace yourself, the wings won't take much time at all. I think Iit took me longer to build the flaperons than than the wings they attach to.
RV-12: #120374, ELSA, N128TL flying since Nov 28, 2013 (Phase 1 completed 1/26/14)
SkyView, Light Package, ADSB
http://torstensrv-12.blogspot.com/
APRS Track
Old 01-31-2013, 02:45 PM

Default Me too

Dave, I have enjoyed your construction (and life) notes greatly. You write like a novelist.

Any chance that you could give us the source for the 'backdrop' that you feature. I would like to see the rest of the 'factory'. PS - I think that one of those guys must be my Grandad!!! Thanks again for your instructive and very humorous blogs.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:04 PM

Default N73HR Airworthiness inspection

After slightly over three years, airworthiness inspection time arrived on Tuesday, March 19th, 2013 for N73HR, (Serial 120332. Pictured here, from left, are Bill Champion, an FAA MIDO office employee, Rob Reese, Chief Riveter, Haruko Reese, Superviser of Chief Riveter and Chief Pilot, Frank Sperandeo, DAR, and David Autry, another FAA MIDO office employee. One usually does not have a visit from genuine FAA employees for experimental aircraft inspections...they weren't inspecting the plane, they were inspecting the inspector, Frank. All went smoothly, with no squawks. Only modification needed is booster seat and rudder pedal extensions for the vertically-challenged Chief Pilot--have that handled--see my other posts.

http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1363821489

The second photo includes us and John Albury (Jetguy on the forum), our building mentor and transition training instructor for Haruko. John will be doing the first flight in our bird next week. I'll post the exciting action soon.

http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1363737440
RV-12 #120332 N73HR
Austin, TX
TangoFlight Mentor

Last edited by engineerofsorts : 03-20-2013 at 07:53 PM. Reason: picture insertion grief--how come I don't get the image inline like others? I guess Jetguy can do it. He must be special.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:30 PM

1020 Hours as of 9/30/2017
Johnrv12@icloud.com
RV14 Wing, arrived and building at Rdog's new Hanger at 16X
S/N 140014

Last edited by Jetguy : 03-20-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:12 AM

Default Slow progress ...

Well, I haven't broken any speed records but at least I've got this far.

Last edited by rgmwa : 07-28-2013 at 06:35 AM. Reason: New photo
Old 05-26-2013, 02:41 AM

looks good keep the good work