What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us the status of your RV-4 project!

Panel

The panel was built by Aerotronics. They certainly did a beautiful job!

Had a small setback this week...found peeling slosh in the tanks. Still moving forward though!

The rebuild is progressing slowly, but this is kind of motivating.

Vacuum gyros and engine monitor replaced with Dynon D-10A and EMS-10A. I need to dig up a 'before' picture. Everything is in place for wiring, which should start this weekend.

2co4ivq.jpg

LHS throttle quadrant (DJM with a new switchy grip) and RHS switch panel are sitting on the bench.

Last edited:
621rs

Hello guys i didnt build the plane but im making it mine. Im a millitary plane nut so painting it like a p-51 and made a new panel first time so large learing curve!! Painted the inside and new seats also made these floor plates. Shes at the paint shop now so have pics of the new paint in a few weeks!!!!!!
rv4beforepaint2.jpg

By romeosierra621 at 2011-10-28
rvoldpanel2.jpg

rvnewpanel1.jpg

New!!!!!!!
rvinterior.jpg

rvinterior2.jpg

Last edited:
Visual Progress

Well, I have drilled the lower skins on the left wing. Looks cool!

b93m1.jpg

Chuggin away!

Gregg

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT: <oops -- this was supposed to go into, "show us your panel" clicked on the wrong one>

Just finished upgrading mine with EFIS, Auto Pilot, DME and GTX-327:

wlq521.jpg

11gqg46.jpg

Last edited:
Engine (210 HP Lycon IO-360 parallel valve) is mounted.
Engine mount to firewall bolts are hardware store right now in case I need to pull the whole thing, AN hardware will go on for the final mount.

142050472.jpg

Now I'm fitting the cowling:

142273318.jpg

Times they are a changin...

Nice work Terry!
Man, Van's has sure come a long way in 25 years, my old vinylester cowling looked "cave man" in comparison. I suppose the 4" extended cowl is gone like the dinosaurs eh? I sure liked the "look"...

Nice!

V/R
Smokey

My "Cave Man" RV4 The Bandit 1989 kit. (lots of sanding:))

Last edited:
Looks nice. Wish I had that engine in my plane. I was wondering why the spinner back plate is so close to the cowling.

I don't have the prop yet.
I followed Van's instructions for a "Prop Simulator" and spaced the spinner back plate per the instructions.
There is about 1/4 clearance between the plate and the cowl.
I hope the spacing works out.
I should have the prop here in about a month or so - I'll wait on finishing the cowl to fuselage fit just in case I need to make an adjustment.....

RV-4 Project Mouse Tales !!

Hello Fellow RV-4er's

My name is Bill and I would like to introduce myself as a new contributor to the RV-4 forum.

I recently purchased an RV-4 project from an estate sale.

On the horizontal stab, I noticed some evidence of mouse activity looking through the lightening holes in ribs HS-405. Did not look to serious ( boy was I wrong) but I could hear some material flopping around inside as I shook the stab so I figured I better investigate.

Decided to unrivet a skin to check the interior.

The photos here show the stab as it looked from the outside and then what I found on the inside.

In the photos, the stab is actually upside down so most of the damage was on the bottom.

I did find a couple of mouse mummy's inside, lots of fiberglass insulation, nuts, and various other unidentifiable items.

The stab had been zinc chromated prior to assembly.

I think most of the damage may have come from the bodily fluids of the decomposing critters.

This aircraft had been stored in a garage with the tail on the ground for an undetermined amount of time.

Will order new parts from Vans tomorrow to build a new stab.

2880266_orig.jpg

5868507_orig.jpg

1430310_orig.jpg

6013065_orig.jpg

Mice problems

Geez, this is scary..:eek:

Good thing you decided to investigate a little more

Being one who had a mice's problems last summer, I sure will have a second look at my stabilazor assy..

I did inspect the wings with a Borescope but will do the same next chance I get with the tail assy...

I remember finding pieces of grass, paper towels etc.. at the bottom of the rudder but didin't think more of it but this sure put a new perspective of the problems...

I haven't found or caught any more mouse since I found the nest ( 3 of them ) full of new borns so I might be getting the upper hand after all..

Bruno

Just saying hello

Just wanted to say hello to all the users of this forum. I've been lurking for a while but recently took the plunge and joined the ranks of home builders. I purchased a -4 empennage and wing kit from the fine folks of Chapter 105. I now have the kits in hand and I'm getting organized to start building. I'm sure this will be the first post of many in the years to come. I may be naive but I hope to have this project completed in 5 years with a test flight on my 40th birthday. I currently live on Prince Edward Island, a small island in Atlantic Canada north of Maine but I grew up in Alberta. I earned my Private license last summer in a Piper Cherokee PA28-140. Previous to that I made it to OSH '11 with a friend who acted as PIC. Looking forward to starting this amazing journey.

Welcome to the builders of the greatest aircraft

Good to hear from you and good luck in building your plane. I am still pounding rivets but more seriously now and it will take flight 2014 an RV 7. I live and work in Edson Alberta.

P.E.I

Hi Jim

Welcome aboard..

P.E.I...Here's a place I know pretty well, spent 5 years there based in Summerside ( SAR SQN ) in the 80's...

Love the place and the people..I need to go back someday..

You're gonna love your -4..

Cheers

Bruno

Did you raise the height of the vertical stab instead of trimming the nose of it to accomadate the fastback?

We mounted the vertical stabilizer first according to the plans and then cut the fastback skin out to fit around it. Trimming the skin to fit around the tip of the stabilizer was no big deal and by doing it this way we were able to leave the structure of the vertical stabilzer alone and keep the full strength of its original design. Doing it this way turned out good for us.

Fast back mod

John, I need all the info I can get on the fastback modification. Do you have build pics of the process?

Fastback pics

I tried to take a lot of pictures throughout the process. Shoot me your email in a pm and I'd be glad to share what I have.

Slipped the surley bonds of the jig!

I finally have a canoe and plan to win the award for the slowest build on a -4: 1983 and counting!
wxqy.jpg

Congratulations!!

" Slipped the surley bonds of the jig!"

I like that one:D

Congrats on this milestone.

I finally have a canoe and plan to win the award for the slowest build on a -4: 1983 and counting!
wxqy.jpg

Fastback too, right?

Seems that nearly all -4s are being finished as fastbacks? Theres got to be at least 10 now! Wonder if it will cause the value of the bubbles to go up as they disappear?

Negative

Fastback too, right? Seems that nearly all -4s are being finished as fastbacks? Theres got to be at least 10 now! Wonder if it will cause the value of the bubbles to go up as they disappear?

Nope; tried and true slowback. I'm partial to the original design.

Love it !

Now you can sit in it and make the flying noises!! A major milestone in building a -4 !...Took me 15 years to build mine, been flying it for 3 now, but the "canoe roll" was a very memorable day for certain.

Slow build RV-4 in McKinney TX

Congrats! I too am on a slow build. 1990 start, original config (not a fastback). Hoping to power up avionics in the next couple of weeks. I was guessing I was the slowest. I am determined to fly in 2014. It's a lot of fun having it out of the jig.

ESPRV4

Hi all
Here a couple pics of my -4 project. Had all flying surfaces on and rigged, just finnished canopy......and now looking forward to hanging the engine.Stalled ( poor choice of words given the audience! ) for progress as need the engine on to complete cockpit plumbing/wiring. I resist setting deadlines as I do not like to rush, but hopefully this year she will fly..

8zn2wo.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/2aahksh.jpg[/

p.s intentionally left first image sideways/rolling/banking (one day !)

Cheers
David Taylor
Western Australia

Donation (s) 2013
In the RED 2014.

Fair Dinkum...

Hi all

I'll try posting the second image....

http://i42.tinypic.com/s4uzxf.jpg[/IMG

David Taylor
Western Australia..[/QUOTE]

G'Day David!
Great to see a Four under construction...love that zinc chromate!

[I]Oh, if it had it to do my Four all over again from that stage, the things I would do different! :)
[/I]
V/R
Smokey

Hi Smokey

Thanks, yeah I have always lived close to the coast, and left the blue protective film on too long, so I have had to be very watchfull of corrosion developing.
Have always had in mind to finnish my -4 true to the original design as possible. 0320, fixed pitch wood prop ( might fit a composite sensenich when funds permit !) , and as light and cheap as possible! So far so good!
Have probably this site to thank for at least 3/4 of the building issues AND general ideas for building my -4 so far, as well as aviating safely in our wonderfull experimental category,.... and no doubt more to come as I get ready to hang the engine..:D So thanks to DR especially ( users keep those honour donations coming ! ) and you Smokey for your expert advice and knowledge on the -4 !

Cheers
David Taylor
Western Australia
Dues paid 2013
In the RED for 2014

CONGRATULATIONS

Congratulations Dave,

Glad to see your progress. It seems a long time since you emigrated to the Golden West.

When we plan our trip that way we will let you know and perhaps we can share a glass or two of black duck, and a few lies.

Best regards,

Hi Bob
Good to hear from you and congrats for getting your -7 airborne !
I have re-located out to the Myrup Fly-in Estate just 5mins from Esperance.
I do miss Newcastle and Novacastrians in general but love it here in W.A.
Hope to see you here one day, and I don't need to remind you how great the flying scenery is down here!

Cheers mate.
David Taylor

Ivan Salisbury, Albany WA

David,

Did you ever meet my friend Ivan Salisbury, a prolific RV-builder from Albany, just around the bend from Esperance?

Unfortunately, Ivan lost his life to cancer a couple of years ago, due to cancer. He was only in his mid-50s. A great fellow.

Met him in Oshkosh in 1997 again in 2003 when he came to Oregon and rode with me to OSH and back.

Jake Thiessen

Starting over....

After my misadventure with a partly completed kit, I stripped out all the usable parts, sold it off and ordered new fuselage and wing kits. While I'm waiting for delivery (March 21st - not long now) I built the fuselage jig.

I know folks used to build using only a water-filled tube to check levels, but a digital angle meter and a laser level certainly make life easy - came out level in pitch and roll to less than .1 of a degree - one of things I love about building is the discovery that, yes, I can work to small tolerances - would never have believed it if I hadn't had to try it.

Now I'm retired I can work full time on this project so I hope progress will be rapid. Like so many other recent 4 builders, I'm going the fastback route. Just trying to decide whether to order the parts from Harmon or to make my own.

Chris

Last edited:
Fastback

Chris, I think your best route for building the fastback is to order the f-407 bulkhead and the skin from Harmon and fabricate the other formers. The turtle deck skin is pre-cut and mine fit perfectly without any additional trimming. And the F-407 will fit with only minor modification. I can't remember the price I paid, but it's not much more than the raw materials and it's already cut to size.

Engine Mount Installation

I just replaced the lower firewall on my project and have run into a slight problem. It seems that the engine mount on the left side hits the firewall ever so slightly. After looking at the old firewall it appears that it hit also because it had the same "ding" in the same spot as my new installation.
First question: is this a common problem possibly due to the airframe not being perfectly squared up in the jig during the build?
Second question: what can I do to fix the problem before the mount is permanently affixed and the engine is hung?
When I removed the mount I noticed the center mount bolts had a bunch of thick spacers. After the new test fit these spacers are no longer needed, or at least not as many. I cant figure this one out either, because all I did was replace the lower firewall and engine mount weldments.
89911558-4643-44D0-87EF-74F42C9A831F_zpsfldsryqc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
66EBE3D0-7BA4-4732-94CB-CBAE41CB9382_zpstqga6ipi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
FAD5D3BA-7303-4325-B6A6-9DA80FBBFEFA_zpsv9p4jizn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
BTW, the right side clears by about 1/8". Is this the correct clearance?

Last edited:
Back