What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inboard Z bracket bolt head clearance

mill2978

Well Known Member
I am working on the Z brackets and they all seem to be ok except for the inboard most bracket on the left wing. I didn't get one of the holes perfectly centered(far right of the picture) and now I can't get a socket on the head but I can turn it with a standard box end wrench. Will that be enough to secure the bolt? If not should I stretch the hole, remake a z bracket?

IMG_8625.JPG

Thanks for the help

I wonder if a #10 screw is strong enough. I'd look up the strengths and substitute that.

also might mean a customized tool in your collection:D

If you can't get a socket on it but you can get a wrench on it, I assume your concern is not being able to torque it properly? If that is correct, you should be able to do it by feel. Put your wrench on one of the others, feel how tight it is and approximately match that. Pretty scientific, I know.:D

Another option would be to get you some crows foot wrenches and put them at the end of the torque wrench. Problem solved. These will come in handy other places in the build. Wish I had some!

Just guessing here but if you have a cheap socket it might be that that wall thickness is is the culprit. Grind the wall of the socket down or get a better quality, thinner wall socket?? Larry

Crow foot it is

I don't want to change any of that hardware, it would be worth it to remake the piece to keep it standard.

I considered grinding down a socket, but the clearance just isn't there.

I tried a crow foot, the one in the picture below is not the correct size(metric) but the tool in the correct size will work. I think I am going to go that route if I don't remake the part.

In theory I shouldn't need to take that bolt out unless I have to remove a tank and that hopefully isn't something that happens on a regular basis.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

IMG_8628.JPG

Zbracket

hi aaron, we are doing a 9a and couldn't get a socket on any of them. well, we could for a little of the way but then pulled it off and used a wrench for the rest. i just pulled my tank back off the spar and it was pretty quick. i too wondered about making a socket but the open wrench was just fine.

This won't be the last situation like this ...

There are numerous places on our RVs where there is insufficient clearance for a socket. Having 12 pt sockets helps, as they're a tad thinner than the 6 pt, but there are still places where you'll need either a crow's foot or an open end wrench. For me, these locations fall in the category of "whatever works". :)

If it was like my RV 7, only a z braket bolts carries well, and is the root of the wing, the rest carry platenuts riveted and access is across the bar where you work comfortably ...
Eventually can roughing tube 3/8 leaving a very thin wall, which is used in many places. The proper torque for AN3 bolts can never breaking the tube. Anyway, in this particular case to do a little more force because new platenuts.

Socket Head Bolts

ACS carries NAS1351-3-XX alloy steel socket head cap screws. These are available in drilled and undrilled heads. Also check GAHCO, there are a number of internal socket head and 12 point external (reduced size compared to AN4 hex bolts) that could work.

Back