What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fire Extinguisher Locations

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
I've been thinking about where to mount a fire extinguisher in my RV10 cockpit. I've got a center arm rest so there is no place to mount it between the seats. I'm wondering where else people have mounted theirs.

I've toyed with the idea of mounting it horizontal under the panel between the panel and the mid bulkhead but it would be hard to visually check the charge on the extinguisher while it is mounted.

I copied some others by mounting mine under the pilot's control stick. Right where it comes out forward of the pilot's seat. Reachable in an emergency and out of the way while flying.

Front and center reachable by both pilots and passengers.
The pressure gauge can be read from the pilot's point of view, albeit upside down. One pin quick removal solution purchased from a local race car shop.
5# Halon is always too big when you don't need it and always too small when you do need it.
I am sure there is more than one good location.

IMG_1863.JPG

IMG_1867.JPG

multiple locations?

I may be one of the few -9a drivers with more than one extinguisher, but hear me out.
In the event of fire on the ground, I want something 'bigger', so behind the seat bulkhead/flap enclousure I have a 2 lb. BC...'cause you're getting out anyway, right?
For inflight or other emergencies where I really need instant access, I have a 1 lb upright between the seat backs. It would be Halon if it weren't so hard to get them here!
then for the passenger, who may be more able to deal with the distraction while I'm doing the other 'pilot stuff', I have one of those aerosol 'FlameOut' cans in their side pouch. I got mine at Wal-mart USA; again, hard to find in Canada for some stupid reason! also at a few of the pilot supply places.

http://www.flyboyaccessories.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=343

So I'll go with those that say 3 is too many, until you need one!

While I haven't mounted mine yet, what I'm planning on doing and have seen in a couple other RV-10s, is that that there is some dead space in front of the seats. Sean identified one location. The others are in the corners. The corner is a perfect spot for the small halon bottle.

As Bob and Sean said front inside corners with 2 small bottles works great.
They can sit vertical and are out of the way but real easy to get if needed.

Geoff

Pics?

As Bob and Sean said front inside corners with 2 small bottles works great.
They can sit vertical and are out of the way but real easy to get if needed.

Geoff

For you guys who mounted it in front of the seats, has anyone ever banged it with their feet getting in/out? I've kept mine in the seat pocket behind the copilot for a year but would like a better spot.

For you guys who mounted it in front of the seats, has anyone ever banged it with their feet getting in/out? I've kept mine in the seat pocket behind the copilot for a year but would like a better spot.

I've been in and out of Geoff's RV-10 many times. It's never been an issue to me. To be honest, I forgot it was even there until this thread came up and reminded me that I have to mount mine before FSDO shows up for my inspection.

bob

Where exactly

So Geoff's is mounted on the front of the pilot's seat at the inboard corner with the tunnel?

I'll see how it fits under the stick too.

Thanks.

Detection?

My 3 lb halon is mounted like Ernst's. Detecting a fire in flight early on with a cowl outlet limit switch or thermistor sensor is very important. Fire will burn through your .040" bottom skin in a few minutes. If I get a high temp LED, I am doing a circling descent to the nearest airport or landing site while looking for smoke trailing behind. If smoke is noticed, then cutting off the fuel and power may help unless it is an oil fire. If we have an oil fire then we will get on the ground asap. I also keep one gallon of water in the baggage area as we may have many uses for that. Check all fuel and oil fittings often!

Fire Extinguisher Position

As a professional Fire Analyst and a RV-10 driver I feel the need to put my 2 cents in. In your airplane and your home the last place you want to store a fire extinguisher is where a fire is most likely to occur. In the RV's I believe storage under the panel is not a good option due to the electronics in this area. I prefer behind the pilot seat due to the lack of ignition sources and fuels present in that location. I always point out the fire extinguisher and how to use it to passengers. Hope I was of some help.

Thanks

Your professional input is VERY much appreciated, and even makes good sense. That's just one of the many great things about VAF.

Two cautions on Ernst's location:

In the event of a sudden impact, the fire extinguisher is likely to slide through the rings of the mount, and end up against the firewall or under your feet... Closer to the engine, and harder to reach.

I admit that i've only stood next to two RV-10's ever, and haven't had fire extinguishers on my mind at the time, but: On the ground, can you reach the extinguisher from outside the aircraft, or do you have to climb up on the wing (and closer to the fuel tank) to get to it?

I would say without investigating aircraft fires that 2-3 times more are fwf. If we impact that hard and there is a fire like one -10, I will be getting my family out through the fire and not fighting it. A 3-5 lb fire extinguisher will be of no use if your tanks explode on impact. We carry wool blankets and wear cotton or wool clothing. If it is under the panel then all red toggle switches go down and fire extinguisher comes out. If I am on the ground outside with a big fire I will let it burn. If it is a small brake fire then I can get to mine and back out in 10 seconds. I can also grab my gallon of water out of the baggage compartment. I used the higher flash point brake fluid and rarely use brakes on landing.

Last edited:
input appreciated.

Like many times before, I post pictures in hopes that someone finds something
amiss.
A couple of thoughts:
First and foremost!
There is probably not one single best location for a fire extinguisher.
My consideration for the top of the console was first and foremost my ability to
escape a burning aircraft as well as saving my passengers from flames during egress. The scenario would be an engine fire not a smoking panel, extremely unlikely to need a fire extinguisher but rather the turning off of power to the panel.
If it is a brake fire then I can get to mine and back out in 10 seconds. I can also grab my gallon of water out of the baggage compartment.

Standing next to the wheel pants and reaching over the fuel tank during a brake fire is probably not something I would do. For this scenario a baggage mounted fire extinguisher would be preferable, I think.

In the event of a sudden impact, the fire extinguisher is likely to slide through the rings of the mount, and end up against the firewall or under your feet... Closer to the engine, and harder to reach.

I suppose that could happen but it was precisely machined to fit the fire extinguisher and in fact the clamps are screwed on tight and stay on the extinguisher when disconnected from the mount with a one pin pull.

I suppose a couple of those smaller foam extinguishers could be added for different contingencies and I may just do that.

Like many other things on an airplane, installing fire extinguishers is a compromise that should have high priority and my priority is saving passengers from flames not saving the airplane.

Although this post sounds a bit argumentative I would appreciate an opinion on my flawed thinking.

Extinguisher Mount

Ernst,

I really like your mount and would like something like it for my airplane. Do you happen to know where I could purchase one.

Thanks,
Dean Ousley

Dean, here you go:
http://www.safecraft.com

Wayne:
Detecting a fire in flight early on with a cowl outlet limit switch or thermistor sensor is very important.

I have made a provision for instant warning of an engine fire by using a high sensitivity temperature probe on the lower firewall with an indicator on my engine monitor.(Cowl Temp) Red line set at 180 degrees F.
The hottest it gets in summer when I fly in 100F weather is about 165 maybe 170.

IMG_2787.JPG

Creative fire extinguisher mounting for RV6 or RV7?

I have a 1.3# halon extingusiher. Now I need to figure out where to put it. I'm looking for some creative mounting methods that keep it in reach.
Thanks,

There is probably not one single best location for a fire extinguisher.
Although this post sounds a bit argumentative I would appreciate an opinion on my flawed thinking.
Ernst, I hope I didn't offend... I didn't intend to criticize, just to offer a possible scenario you might not have considered. Your mount does seem more solid than most... A lot of extinguishers i've seen are mounted with the simple strap + over-center latch, and at times it's a **** shoot whether those stay done up in a hard landing... Let alone a crash.

I totally agree that there is probably not one best place for the extinguisher, although if I were trying to find a best bang-for-the-buck location, I think i'd want something that was equally accessible from inside the airplane (while seated), and from outside while standing on the ground behind the wing.

Mark I see where you mounted your fire extinguisher on the flap cover in the rear seat. I modified the seat rails so I can slide the seat back and not bump the flap cover. What does the fire extinguisher do to your removal of the seats.

Do yourself a favor and DON'T buy the small Halon that has the plastic actuator handle. Get the metal one. The plastic actuator pops off the container if you look at it funny. Just what you want in an emergency. :mad:

This has been a great thread - very informative. Good to know what places work. I have my halon bottle on the top of the tunnel cover, well forward, under the panel. I've always been concerned that it might be too close to the fire, so I got a small foam-type attached to the carpet with velcro, between the seats, to regain access to the big bottle.
But, now that I know the small halons will fit in the front seat foot wells, out of the way, I plan on a couple there, as well. Also, I like smoke hoods - they give everyone something to do. I noticed a new stye when I was at Aircraft Spruce yesterday:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/smokehood13-18188.php?clickkey=890184
The price is the same as the factory (and everybody else), so it must be a fair trade item.
By the way, what do folks think about the Billet-style mounts? I don't see much use for them in an RV-10.

John

Back