- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:06 PM

Default RV-12 Trailer

According to their FB page comments, Synergy Air in Eugene, Oregon is working on a trailer specifically made for the RV-12. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

Kevin
Kit #120-666 "The number of the beast"
http://kevinsrv12build.blogspot.com
Old 11-06-2012, 03:32 PM

Default Heavy duty???

I think that we don't need a heavy duty trailer - we need an appropriately sprung, soft/smooth riding trailer that is designed to carry about 800 or so of aircraft and support utilities, etc. Have you ever ridden on an ordinary trailer that is lightly loaded - I have as a boy and I think that if I had had any fillings in my teeth, they would have been shaken out - really a bad experience!

It is good to hear that Synergy is at least thinking about building a trailer or kit for us.

A few years ago, I broached the subject of a trailer to a few Van's employees and they suggested that i didn't really want a trailer after all and basically to forget the idea. It was made clear to me that Van's wasn't interested. It's a shame to waste the wings removable feature of the 12. I'll bet that that feature cost Van's a ton of $$$ during the design stage of the 12.

I don't know if I would have purchased an RV-12 kit without the removable wings feature. That feature makes the RV-12 affordable to me as hanger rents here in Taxufornia are through the roof. A trailer at $8-9K would be paid for here in a couple years of hanger rent at the local airport.

Hoping that someone will offer a trailer for sale that will work for the RV-12 without damaging it. I really don't want to be the one who builds the first really good RV-12 trailer.

Last edited by E. D. Eliot : 11-07-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. D. Eliot View Post
Hope that you find a way to pioneer a great trailer - I really need to 'trailer' my 12 - hanger fees here in Taxyafornia are unbelievable. Please advise us/me of your progress - I think that it is likely that you and I may well be the only two in the RV-12 fleet who regularly trailer their 12s.
Make that three.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:15 PM

While I'm not in taxafornia, hanger rents here (broken down hangers) are currently running $414/month, when you can find them. A community hanger is $325. A tie-down is $40...

Bob

Subscription Paid for 2021

Home is where the hanger is...
Old 11-26-2012, 07:54 PM

Default Trailer design coming

We are going to create our own trailer design after seeing the posts and doing some research. Will post pictures, etc when it is complete. Currently still building the plane and will work on the trailer in-between . . . just want something to get it to the airport and for occasional moves.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:10 PM

Default RV-12 trailer size.

I, too, need to know the dimensions since I will be installing the gear and transporting fuse, wings,, etc several hundred miles as soon as the finish kit arrives. I have a pontoon boat trailer that, I believe can be adapted very easily. But, I do need the width dimensions with & without the wheel pants, and, even more importantly, the front & back dimensions (from tip of nose cone to center of main gear...and to nose gear), and from main gear to tail feathers. Also, the clearance ground clearance needed below the wheel pants (for block and trailer wheel well clearance) would be helpful. Anybody have the dimensions? Thx!
BuzzJ
Old 02-03-2013, 01:14 PM

Default Trailer dimension stuff I forgot in prior thread

For carrying the completed wings, we need to know the clearance dimensions between the main gear wit and w/o wheel pants. Will a box fit?
Old 02-03-2013, 01:45 PM

Last week I had to drive about 100 mile to the painter. I used a flatbed trailer of 197" by 94". I had an overhung of about 20". The width of the gear is too small to put the wings between the gear legs.

MyKitlog
Old 02-03-2013, 10:39 PM

Default Trailer for RV-12

Great idea! Thx for the pics! Do you have a plan/template for the box wing holder? I think I can adapt this idea to my pontoon boat trailer and carry the wings under the belly in the same fashion. Thx again!
Old 02-04-2013, 02:20 AM

I just started with a piece of wood with a slot for the spar. Put it on the spar and draw the circumference of the wing. Add some extra (the same as the thickness of the foam rubber) to the contour for the foam rubber padding (in my case 2cm/0,8") and use the jigsaw to cut the template (pic1&2). Then I used four pieces of 160cmx56cm (63"x22") to make the wing holders (pic3). But I did it wrong, check the pictures and try to put the wings in there . After putting it all together I used thin MDF to follow the shape (pic5). When that was ready I cut the "wing holder plates" in three parts.
It works very well and the wings are well protected from the bumps during the drive.

MyKitlog

Last edited by Gagarin737 : 02-04-2013 at 02:31 AM.